Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have tons of 38 special cases ...what is a good FFF or FFFF load.

On the Goex website they are showing 16 grains of FFFg for a velocity of 870fps with a 158 grain projectile. That seems kinda fast to me for 16 grains.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tucumcari_kid View Post
    Yeah he states 18 grains of FFg Kings for the 158. In the narrative he says the Army 38 LC load was 14.4 grains FFFg with the 148 bullet and then says the 38 Special was 20.6 grains FFFg. It isn't clear to me if he means 38 Special with the 148 grain bullet or the 158 grain bullet. If the King's is close in ratio to the Black Powder, then I would ASSUME that the 18.0 grains of FFg King's for the 158 grain bullet would be equivalent to 18 grains of FFFg BP with that bullet. I'll have to see what Whelen says about that. It would make sense that the Semi Smokeless would be 1:1 equivalent to make it easier for the average person to use. At the end of the day, though, I still just fill the case up. Messing with "reduced" BP loads isn't really worth the effort.
    It is in the preceding paragraph Sharpe states the bullet weight;

"This cartridge was an improvement on the 0fficial Army cartridge-the .38 Long Colt. Essentially it was an enlargement in proportion to the .32 Smith & Wesson Long, the bullet being in the same proportion as the extremely accurate smaller caliber handgun, In order to bring about this balance, it was necessary to increase the bullet weight to 158 grains, retaining the same shape as the .32 S&W Long."
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    On the Goex website they are showing 16 grains of FFFg for a velocity of 870fps with a 158 grain projectile. That seems kinda fast to me for 16 grains.
    Difference may simply be the difference in test barrels/firearms.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

In the 1970's I hogged out a Lee 9mm mold with a 3/8" bit and started shooting what people call conicals.
    The 1861 revolver shot and shoots great with compressed loads (that why Colt made the change in loading levers).

Boolit Bub
    I use a 1 cc Lee dipper. about 15 grains. Static myth issues have been debunked in my opinion. do a google search.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by cjensen View Post
    I use a 1 cc Lee dipper. about 15 grains. Static myth issues have been debunked in my opinion. do a google search.
    I never thought much of the "static" issue, except I just took it as fact. However, the only funnels I have are plastic. I weigh out the charges because I can get it more even that way, however dippers work just as well. It looks like the static issue is not an established fact and may be, just that, a myth Experimenting with sparks and static

Learn something new every day... now will I change my behavior?
    Last edited by tucumcari_kid; 07-31-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: cuz
    -Mike

As stated use 18grs ffg I cast Lee 150 swc from pure lead and tumble lube. Great accuracy but they heat a pistol up FAST!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk