Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press

Boolit Bub
    I found that progressives are great for large runs of handgun ammo and single stage for all rifle ammo.
    I used an old Pacific/Hornady progressive for 38/357, 44, 45ACP and 45LC. A great press when you get it set up but takes some time and TLC to get it running just right. My nephew has it now but can't stand the messing and bought a Redding T7 with spare turrets and loves it.
    Worst progressive I ever used was an inline thing from RCBS that I was asked to test out for a dealer. I tried really hard on that monster but it was a disaster and I gave up in the end. I believe it's now used as a boat anchor.
    I have an original Rockchucker for all the stuff I do now, it's slow but precise.

I've never liked a progressive and have no use for one. I tried one a few times. They are much faster but it did nothing for me. I reload because I enjoy reloading. Shooting, emptying brass, is ancillary. I'm one of the weirdos that actually like reloading more than shooting and a progressive cheats me out of time enjoyed.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Char-Gar,

I shot Bullseye in the 70's and loaded on a Co-Ax when I needed to. Luckily, my mentor had two Stars and we would have reloading parties at his place. Later he got a Camdex.

Most of the shooters who were competitive used Stars. But I must admit I do not know what the average shooter used. I do know it was painfully slow to load on that Co-Ax after "seeing the light".

Now we have very affordable progressive presses. Time marches on..... Maybe there are high volume pistol shooters who do not use a progressive but they will be a small minority. Again, my experience with the shooters I know. I do not know any who do not use a progressive.

Sorry if I offended in any way.
    I am not offended. I just want those who read these posts not to think they

MUST us a progressive machine in order to compete at a good level. I don't want shooters to be discouraged from competing because they don't have a Dillon. Shooting in competition is a good way to hone your skills and enjoy the company of good folks.

At age 74 I still competed weekly in falling plate match (22 LR) and Bowling Pin matches with a Smith and Wesson 625 (45 ACP). I don't have a progressive press. I had one once and it didn't suit my fancy.

Again, I just don't want people to think they must run out and buy high production rate equipment to compete and have fun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

All three, single, turret and progressive. Each has its place. I still enjoy single stage the most. More relaxing to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I've never liked a progressive and have no use for one. I tried one a few times. They are much faster but it did nothing for me. I reload because I enjoy reloading. Shooting, emptying brass, is ancillary. I'm one of the weirdos that actually like reloading more than shooting and a progressive cheats me out of time enjoyed.
    I'm turning into a weirdo as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I am not offended. I just want those who read these posts not to think they

MUST us a progressive machine in order to compete at a good level. I don't want shooters to be discouraged from competing because they don't have a Dillon. Shooting in competition is a good way to hone your skills and enjoy the company of good folks.

At age 74 I still competed weekly in falling plate match (22 LR) and Bowling Pin matches with a Smith and Wesson 625 (45 ACP). I don't have a progressive press. I had one once and it didn't suit my fancy.

Again, I just don't want people to think they must run out and buy high production rate equipment to compete and have fun.
    For the guy who just needs to load lots of one caliber a Dillon Square Deal B is $405. Not all that expensive and they can crank out the ammo.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    For the guy who just needs to load lots of one caliber a Dillon Square Deal B is $405. Not all that expensive and they can crank out the ammo.
    I bought a Square Deal when they were just $225. I didn't like it and sold it to Glen Frxyell.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    My first progressive was a Square Deal B. I still use it for 45 ACP.

Banned

I load to shoot. Its a nessisary job if I want to shoot. The fastest I can make QUALITY ammo the better. Same goes for casting. I like to load and cast but I REALLY like to shoot. Make mine a good progressive loader

I would favor a single stage, but probably use a 550 most of the time. I had about 450 220 Swifts to finish yesterday. They had already been cleaned (2X), sized, annealed and trimmed. Just needed to prime, powder and bullet. Used a Lee primer and the 550 for powder and bullet seating.

Last time I did about the same number of 22-250s, I used a single stage where I did the priming and powder measuring and my son seated bullets. Nice to have a couple sets of dies so you can leave a set in a tool head.

Just depends on the project and time available. Glad that I have both options.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

single stage

Boolit Buddy

Can't give any real opinion on single stage verses progressive presses. In early Feb of 1971 I got into competitive shooting. I bought a single stage press, a RCBS and after about 3 hours of using it I knew that I wasn't going to make a 1000 rounds a week this way. Called up a friend that was a big shooter/loader and asked what I needed to load volume, a STAR Progressive Loader was his answer. Ordered a STAR that was later followed by several more STARS, then a few of Dillons as the different models came out. Still have the RCBS, but it is only used to decap brass. All I know is that I would not be shooting a couple hundred rounds a week today without using a progressive press.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Don't understand the issue. Progressive suits some folks style, caliber, and perception of need, I guess. I like casting, I like brass prep, I like making a finished product that I can admire and use.

I'm just surprised more folks don't put the turret presses high on their list. Lee disk means everything is set up to go, with index rod in I can crank out ammo, plenty fast enough. With index rod out It is a decent (already adjusted) single stage with quick change disks. Wife watches her dance or food programs, I make progress on another 50 round tray in single stage. On my way to making 400 rounds for rifles over a couple of weeks.

I guess I feel more in control and connected watching one stage or process taking place at a time is more comfortable than I would be with multiple steps taking place at once. Turret with index rod is faster but still only doing one thing at a time.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 06-19-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

Yup I sure wouldn't be able to shoot near as much as I do know. I seriously doubt id even be here if it weren't for progressive presses. If I loaded 50 rounds a week I doubt id have ever had the need to even cast. bottom line is if a guy is a seasoned loader he can crank out ammo 4 times faster on a 550 and make ammo every bit as good as your going to make on a single stage press. Only difference is you get a round for every pull of the handle. Only exception might be a bench rest shooter that has to be a lot more anal because .0001 in group size might mean the difference in winning a match or not. But unless your into some real big time bench rest shooting you can make pretty competitive ammo on a progressive. There no step a bench rest shooter makes that cant be done by pulling the case off the station on a progressive and doing the same to it. I shot competitive bullseye and ppc for years. I don't think there was ever a man or women that was competitive in either league that didn't load on a Dillon. If you were loading single stage youd best be retired and dedicating 8 hours a day to casting and loading if your going to shoot enough to get and stay competitive. Now everyone doesn't need a progressive. But this guy sure does.
    Quote Originally Posted by starreloader View Post
    Can't give any real opinion on single stage verses progressive presses. In early Feb of 1971 I got into competitive shooting. I bought a single stage press, a RCBS and after about 3 hours of using it I knew that I wasn't going to make a 1000 rounds a week this way. Called up a friend that was a big shooter/loader and asked what I needed to load volume, a STAR Progressive Loader was his answer. Ordered a STAR that was later followed by several more STARS, then a few of Dillons as the different models came out. Still have the RCBS, but it is only used to decap brass. All I know is that I would not be shooting a couple hundred rounds a week today without using a progressive press.

Microwave or open fire?

My kid eats most of it from a microwave but everytime we have a fire she wants either marshmallows or popcorn.

Guess that's one persons difference between quantity "needs" and enjoyment.

Both, I have the RCBS RC for rifle and any load development and any small batches of both types, plus when decapping any cases I bring back from the range before cleaning.
    The 550b is used only for bulk use, mostly pistol, some rifle.
    I really enjoy single stage the most, as I recently got into loading for precision shooting, but the Dillon makes the best use of time when running more than 100 at a sitting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Efin; 06-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

It appears that volume dictates the method for most.
    I still have and use the first press ( RC Jr.) I got in the 60s. I have other single stage, turret, and progressive presses, but if I have time I enjoy the slower pace. It seems that when usung the progressives I get in a hurry, simply because I can, or maybe that's the only reason I do it.
    Information not shared. is wasted.