Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 32 cal cva squirrel. Question

Boolit Mold

32 cal cva squirrel. Question

hello fellow front stuffers,

I am new to this forum and will probablay have plenty of question, as I have just gotten the ML bug.

I have a 32 cal cva and (.313) dia conical bullets from a 32-20 that I dont have anymore. They are 115 gr non concave base.

Can I shoot them accurately with this rifle and How do I? I have shot one just to test fire, but the bullet dropped down the barrel. I have not tried to put it on paper. Im wondering if the compression at ignition will expand the base enough to grab the rifling, or should I find a mold (.315) by lee.
    Thanks guys

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Howdy, Howdy. The easiest way, is to buy about ten pounds of #1 buckshot from Graf and sons, or some other vendor. You will then have a life time supply of ball. If you want to shoot those pointy bullets, you will probably need to paper patch, to bring them up to the right size.

Super Moderator

...........Howdydoit, a big welcome to the board. The twist in your rifle may not stabilize that boolit, even if it fits the lands. The base doesn't have to be concave. If cast of pure lead or a bit harder it should upset.

Waksupi has the answer for RB's though. I know 2 guys shooting 32's. One is one of our match competitors and he does a fine job using that shot. The other guy is an old Rondyvooer from way back, and a BP shooting fool. His favorite rifle is a 40 cal on it's 2nd barrel and he's had to go to thicker patches awile back.

He was shooting a 32 one day next to some guys shooting 22 Win mags. His 100 yard targets would have given them a run for their money.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Thanx you guys,

ill have to get some buckshot. The twist is 1:48, Im not sure if that will stabilize the conocal. But I can always melt them down. I had the old 32-20 years ago and bought a 500 peice box to reload with. Sadly the ex- wife had all my guns locked in her fathers safe. OH well what can you do.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Traditions Crockett x 32 likes the Hornady .310" RB with .015" pillow ticking. .315" balls and .010" ticking didn't shoot as well. This rifle also has 1-48" twist.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Howdy;
    I make sorta min'ies for my .36 by drilling the base with a center drill that makes a hollow but leaves a thin skirt. I do this with a small lathe,but I believe it could be done in a drill press.
    The .357 bullets are an easy push fit in my barrel and are more accurate than patched balls.

Boolit Mold
    Cool

Ive thought about trying to drill a base cavity. I think I will now It will drop my weight to abou 80-85 grs. But I think it would be worth it.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Al
    My Traditions Crockett x 32 likes the Hornady .310" RB with .015" pillow ticking. .315" balls and .010" ticking didn't shoot as well. This rifle also has 1-48" twist.
    Al, my Crockett Rifle is one of my favorites. It's a squirrel-killin' fool with that same Hornady RB or a Lee .308" RB and pillow ticking & about 12 gr Pyrodex P by weight. Velocity = ~1100 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Junior--

I haven't shot mine a whole lot, maybe 200 rounds all told. It did very well with Goex 3F (30 grains) and the .310"/.015 combo--I have no idea of the velocity, but it did shoot right to the fixed sights at 50 yards. For a little cheepie M/L'er, I think it does right well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

A 1-48 twist in a 32 rifle usually works best with a round ball. According to my figures a 32 pistol bullet in 32 caliber at 1100 fps should stabalize best in a 1-16 twist and I KNOW that 1-10 will do an adaquate job from 750 to 1800fps. I tried 77 gr bullets in my 32 and had to make a starter to keep them centered. From a 1-48 twist I could get good, but not great groups at 25 yards. If I remember right groups went 1 1/2 to 2" and balls cut a group that was 3/4".
    From a gain twist running from 1-56 to 1-20 approx. I got excellent results with picket bullets and a paper patch. Right now I have an old Crockett rifle that came in with a broken stock and I re stocked it in straight maple with a poor boy full stock. For my uses of a 32, squirrel rabbit and up to coyote I use a r/b and from 15 to 25 grains of FFFg. I would rather have the extra accuracy. I cast my balls from an old Dixie hair straightener and round the balls in a plate mill to 310. It sure is dissapointing to cast a hundred 32's and lok at that little pile compared to a hundred 54's.

Boolit Mold

32 balls

Hi group
    Buy buckshot for the little fellers. 00 or 000 its aheck of a lot easier than casting.
    My 32 likes both. the 00 is a little harder to start but shoots fine. The ball should have flats where the rifling lands touch the ball. You start the ball in a large piece of patch material and pull it with the cloth to check the ball.
    I had a .38 flinter that would crater mild steel if you loaded it up good. HeHe! pretty accurate too.
    Dennis