RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler media dust strategies

Boolit Bub

Tumbler media dust strategies

I have no answers, only questions. This must be the nastiest part of reloading.

(I did try wet tumbling but I thought it was a real hassle and hard to get much volume.)

Using walnut lizard litter and nu-finish, dryer sheets and mineral spirits sort of help. Next time I'm going to make a tack cloth and throw that in.

Any other ideas?

I made lids from 1/4 in ply wood and faced them with some shock absorbing mat. I drop them on the central bolt that comes out the top of my tumblers and tighten the wing nut tight. All dust stays in the bowl.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Outside on deck or patio. In garage with door open. Better yet, sell the tumbler and go to chemical wash.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI....Walnut dust very harmful to breath....

Some nu finish and a splash of mineral spirits, cover and run for a few minutes to get the lizard litter evenly damped before putting in the brass, pretty much dust free. Not going to say no dirt or dust at all but cleaning grubby brass isn't exactly a clean operation.

Having less dirt on the brass can also help, I soak mine in bucket with a teaspoon or two of citric acid (pickling salts for canning) then rinse, and allow to dry. This citric acid wash helps clean, de-tarnish, and preserve the brass and also removes a lot of the dirt, and crud without dealing with dust. That washing puts less dust in the tumbler which means less dust in the media.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I try to do my tumbling on the porch . I cast lead in the basement , but won't use the tumbler in the house .

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not get much dust out of the tumbler, but the two vibratory cleaners are another story. I use one of the cleaners or liquid wax with a bit of mineral spirits added.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Add enough mineral spirits so it's wet but doesn't clump. This keeps dust to a very minimum. If the media isn't wet you're going to have dust regardless of what else you do. The mineral spirits evaporate so you may have to add more if you're running multiple batches.

Boolit Master

I suspect tumbler dust is a significant source of lead pollution. Wear a mask for personal safety. Take care to prevent contaminating the area. Dampening before sorting, control dust released to the area.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

What do you consider a "lot of dust"? My wobbler does produce dust, but so little it is not noticed. Maybe because I use my wobbler on the floor? I just use corn cob blast media and crushed walnut blast media and a touch of auto polish. My rotary tumbler is "sealed" so there is only dust when it's emptied...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    There are several ways to remove Dust. In the commercial sector The Tumblers have a Filter Or suction system . That Removes It. Most Reloaders do not Have That system.. The simple way Is To put a New box of media on a Very Fine fiber screen material( window screen) . Then wet It down and wash. Just plain water. . Then spread it Out and Let it dry.
    This will remove Most of It. But as you use Media . Due to the constant Grinding It will make it's one dust again
    If your washing Old media. Use liquid soap and degreaser to remove built up Lube
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Put some dryer sheets in the tumbler it will attract alot of dust.

Boolit Master

Not a direct answer to your question but this is one of main reasons I went to wet tumbling with pins.

Do it on the tailgate of truck which is outside the garage.

Keeps reloading area most dust free and no noise if I'm reloading at same time
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had good results with fresh tangerine peels.
    I'm sure orange or lemon peels will also work.
    Just peel and toss them in.
    They come out at the end of tumble.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never really had a problem with dust but I run mine outside in the garage. I put a cap full of mineral spirits and a cap full of car polish in the media and run it enough to get it mixed up. Before I did the mineral spirits I used a strip cut from a used dryer sheet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    The simple way Is To put a New box of media on a Very Fine fiber screen material( window screen) . Then wet It down and wash. Just plain water. . Then spread it Out and Let it dry.
    This will remove Most of It. But as you use Media . Due to the constant Grinding It will make it's one dust again
    If your washing Old media. Use liquid soap and degreaser to remove built up Lube
    Great tip from salpal48

I'm cheap enough that I have washed my dirty corn cob media a couple times to refresh it. Easy enough to do in a plastic tub in the sink, with a squirt of dawn dish soap.

You can dry the media out in the sun, or on a cookie sheet in the oven if you prefer. However if you don't get the media completely dry and store it in a sealed container, it will mold.

I wont say just how many times I've washed media, but it's probably a big reason why mine's not as dusty as the filthy walnut or corn cob that we'd use at work.

- Bullwolf

Put some dryer sheets in the tumbler it will attract alot of dust.
    +1

I use, used ones, cut them into 4 or 5 strips and toss in two or three. Save the rest under the bench for later.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of good ideas, and I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I'm from L.A. and I guess I'm used to dirty air. I can run a wobbler full of brass and cob media all day and the air in my small shop is cleaner than the L.A. air in the summer...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Not all walnut media is equal. I've tried using "lost circulation material," a crushed walnut shell product. It was horribly dusty and I gave it away. I got a bag of crushed walnut at PetSmart that had been torn, maybe lost a few ounces, at a great price and it's OK but not great. For the last 8-9 years I've used almost exclusively fine corn cob blast media; I think 14/20 grit. It will go through primer flash holes. With the addition of Nu-Finish and mineral spirits there is no noticeable dust when I open the tumbler. I agree with the concerns of others about polisher dust carrying fine lead dust.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Vendor Sponsor

Get a Tumbler with a Lid and use it. I have a Thumler's Ultra Vibe 10 model and it has a lid. As long as the lid is on it is no mess at all. with the lid off it creates a serious mess and the dust goes everywhere.

Dryer Sheets also will suck up a lot of dust. But you still have to have the bowl covered when running.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com