RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a Honda

Need advice on a Honda

A friend has a body shop. He occasionally buys a wrecked vehicle, and repairs it before selling it. I totally trust this man and and his work. He is also a deacon in our church.
    He has a 2007 Honda CRV. It has minimal damage on the right front that he said he could complete the work in half a days time. The selling price is $2600. the price is good but I haven't owned a Honda of any kind, so I am asking those of you who have owned one, especially the CRV, for their advice. Any knowledge of mechanical problems would be appreciated.
    thanks
    shaper

Boolit Master
    I own a 2011 crv and have just over 100,000 miles on it. Its been the most reliable car that ive owned so far. The only I have done are changed the fluids, a new set of tires, and brake pars. My wife own a Honda Odyssey mini van and its been great too. Thats a good prive for tht car, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I forgot to mention, he replaced the motor. The new motor has 70000 miles on it.

Boolit Buddy

Wife had one for a spell. Ok ride. Didnt fit her well as she is 6ft tall. She traded it of for a ridgeline to get more room. Never had a prob with the crv.

Boolit Master

We have a 2006 crv,best car we have ever owned..period.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

honda's hold their value pretty well that should tell you something.

Boolit Grand Master

Why was the motor replaced? Any warranty? What happened to old motor? How many miles on chassis?

Personally, I'd be hesitant. Sometimes when issues creep up on a vehicle like that, it can put a strain on a relationship. Not that either side intended it to happen, but it just does (hidden problems on unknown vehicle with sketchy history)

Boolit Master

We have a 2014 Odyssey with 90K on it. So far so good; no issues at all. The mechanics say the engine is good for 300K.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife had a Honda CRV through high school, and for the first 4 years of our marriage. We sold it when it hit 250,000 miles. All we ever did was required maintenance at specified mileage intervals. Never had a single problem with the vehicle.

Moderator Emeritus

Bought a 2009 Honda CRV new for daughter. Nasty snow storm that year when taking it for remote start. Excellent driving in snow. She really likes it.

Boolit Bub
    As far as Honda's value and durability, we put over 320,000 miles on an Accord and it was still running fine until it met up with a moose. Looks like a good deal to me.

Boolit Master
    I worked as a quality manager for both Ford and GM and had almost forty years with them before retiring. Here's what I can tell you. I can buy any Ford product or GM product at dealer cost. I've been driving Honda vehicles since I retired. My last first was a Honda Element....same engine and platform as the CRV. I put 143,000 miles on it without putting a penny into it other than three sets of tires, one set of brakes, and oil changes. I just got tired of it for no particular reason. A mechanic at the Honda dealer bought it and is still driving it with almost 250,000 miles on it. I then had a CRV and now a Pilot. All trouble free. In owning almost fifty GM and Ford vehicles (I got two a year most years) I never had even one that ran without some warranty issues. Honda makes the best quality vehicles period. Second is Toyota followed by Subaru. At 2600 it's a great buy. Get it.

Ever hear of the USA ? I hear they make great vehicles ?
    This will bring the ricer bunch out of the woodwork .

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "Honda makes the best quality vehicles period. Second is Toyota followed by Subaru. At 2600 it's a great buy. Get it."

Fact.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    You might want to rethink that! I own two Hondas and they were both built in Marysville Ohio. The last time I looked Ohio IS part of the USA!

Boolit Master

I own a 2012 CRV. Just 40,000 on it. No problems whatsoever. We did replace the tires. I know two couples that have models around the 2007 year model. One couple bought a 2012 and kept the 2007.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    All my Honda vehicles were made in the USA. My last GM vehicle, a "Chevy" was assembled in Canada with a Japanese engine and a Chinese transmission. During the time I worked for GM, thirty-three years, I saw over three hundred thousand US jobs move to Mexico. You really should know what you're talking about ......
    Last edited by runfiverun; 01-07-2017 at 11:21 PM.

I told my friend I would take his deal. Can't get it yet though. I have 3 trucks. I need to sell one to buy the Honda. It is a 89 Chev. Cheyenne 4x4 with a bad heater core, which I am in the process of replacing. Just waiting for the weather to get better.

Moderator Emeritus

At 70k miles if it uses a timing belt I would swap it. Otherwise Honda engines are known for very long life. My garden tiller and generator are Honda powered and other than cleaning bad gas out of the generator(it had sand in it...I checked that gas can and it had sand. I went to the gas station and pumped into a gallon can and checked and more sand which I showed them) they run with minimal maintenance, just oil changes.

Perm-Banned
    all we own is toyota or honda, 70,000 miles on a honda engine is nothing. untill other cars are made as good as those two, that is all we will own.