Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Savage is jumping on the AR bandwagon

Boolit Buddy

Now Savage is jumping on the AR bandwagon

Bad enough IMO that Springfield got on the AR train but now Savage is jumping on as well.

https://youtu.be/DOMl4h9Wxk0
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

I know EVERYONE is making them now but Savage should be fairly nice. They sure make nice barrels for the money.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

Why is it bad that more manufacturers are making them? Competition drives costs down. If you don't want to buy then don't buy. I'm assuming Ruger making them is bad as well!

AR with a Savage barrel? Sign me up. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Looks to be a side charger, with the charge handle on the left side.

I bet the beat more than half the competition for price. Savage is pretty proficient and manufacturing a quality product for a fair price.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy
    Although I am a definite Springfield Armory fan the build up to the release of the Saint was annoying to put it mildly and the reveal was underwhelming. I'm all for competition and free enterprise, but come on, more ARs from companies whose patrons have long been asking for things other than ARs.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Yes competition is nice, but there can be to much. EVERYBODY is making ARs now. Even HK who already makes or made really good rifles, had to get in on the AR gravy train. Armalite quit making the AR180, so they could get in on an already crowded AR15 game, be like Ford stopping production of F150 so they can copy the Silverado or Ram. Sig is on it now, like they cant come up with something else. Its become boring, you go into a shop and its just a huge rack of AR15s, with nothing else different. They try to say ours are better than the one next to it, tho you cant see where ANYTHING is different. And when they do do something different, they charge an arm and a leg for putting a different program in the CNC machine.

Now Savage might make a decent rifle, they are well known for their barrels. Question is, will they go cheap or keep the quality and hope people will pay extra for it?

I'd rather have a saturated market instead of one that's empty (as a consumer).

I would suspect Savage will do a good job with this rifle. They are in a place where they are known for having good rifles. No reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

Boolit Master

no such thing as too much competition. the more manufacturers, the more the consumer wins. wasnt all that long ago the choices were armalite,bushmaster or colt, the few others mostly made junk. now many make them and there are more options, and better prices on quality than ever before.

Boolit Buddy
    I expect to see many of the smaller boutique AR companies go bottom up in the next couple of years.

More competition is good, but Savage is a bit late wouldn't you say? However, they have set themselves apart from the other big manufacturers with the side charging. I'd be willing to give one a try if the price is under $600.00 out the door.

AR movement has slowed down significantly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Yes competition is nice, but there can be to much. EVERYBODY is making ARs now. Even HK who already makes or made really good rifles, had to get in on the AR gravy train. Armalite quit making the AR180, so they could get in on an already crowded AR15 game, be like Ford stopping production of F150 so they can copy the Silverado or Ram. Sig is on it now, like they cant come up with something else. Its become boring, you go into a shop and its just a huge rack of AR15s, with nothing else different. They try to say ours are better than the one next to it, tho you cant see where ANYTHING is different. And when they do do something different, they charge an arm and a leg for putting a different program in the CNC machine.

Now Savage might make a decent rifle, they are well known for their barrels. Question is, will they go cheap or keep the quality and hope people will pay extra for it?
    amen. I get a hoot out of the gun shows on tv; today we're going to review tne new sup[er whiz bang ar! yaaaawwwwn. Like it's something new.

Let's see a new falling block. I know, I know......they're not driving the market and a barrel with a few moving parts cost 5 times more than these simple semi autos.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway41 View Post
    Although I am a definite Springfield Armory fan the build up to the release of the Saint was annoying to put it mildly and the reveal was underwhelming. I'm all for competition and free enterprise, but come on, more ARs from companies whose patrons have long been asking for things other than ARs.
    Wouldn't a Springfield Armory version of the Mini 14 be cool? Yes we are in an AR glut.

Banned

a side charge, no jam it in there even tighter button, flat sided receiver would be very welcome.
    I don't know how many here carry their AR's over a couple of miles of rocky terrain.
    but not having a big knob jabbing you in the back at each step is awful nice.

poor Armalite making their own design.
    I really almost hate my M-15, it just takes all the drama out of range trips.
    half resting an out of the box rifle on something and hitting 6x6" plates at 300 yds with open sights makes me feel real bad.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad to see them being used in hunting roles more, hope we can brake the bad rap the media has given them! The market is flooded, but theres not much more you can do to one of them. Glad to see savage jump on board, hope they do well with them.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Best of luck to them , their stocks on a couple rifles I bought were much less than impressive . Maybe the AR will be better .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Wouldn't a Springfield Armory version of the Mini 14 be cool? Yes we are in an AR glut.
    What someone needs to do is the Ruger X-GI they designed, announced and never released. A .308 mini 14. I agree about the Saint release. I was more than disappointed with all the lead in hype only to get another run of the mill Ar-15. Something else that needs to be done is an Ar-15 that will reliably eat pistol ammo at a reasonable price. 9mm, 40 and 45.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    a side charge, no jam it in there even tighter button, flat sided receiver would be very welcome.
    I don't know how many here carry their AR's over a couple of miles of rocky terrain.
    but not having a big knob jabbing you in the back at each step is awful nice.

poor Armalite making their own design.
    I really almost hate my M-15, it just takes all the drama out of range trips.
    half resting an out of the box rifle on something and hitting 6x6" plates at 300 yds with open sights makes me feel real bad.
    The simple fix to the forward assist poking you is to strong/weak side sling it, or sling the rifle cross body so that the side with the bolt release is to your back.

Normally, we carried the rifle at the tactical, so really don't sweat the forward assist.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    What someone needs to do is the Ruger X-GI they designed, announced and never released. A .308 mini 14.
    I agree 100%!! Although I have a Garand, so .30 cal semi-auto is pretty much covered...

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post

Something else that needs to be done is an Ar-15 that will reliably eat pistol ammo at a reasonable price. 9mm, 40 and 45.
    Not an AR15, and I'll probably catch flack for suggesting it, but the Hi-Point carbines are very reasonably priced, and available in all three of those chamberings. I have one chambered in .40 S&W, and it is a blast to shoot! I paid under $200 - used, but in great shape - and it's reliably run every ammo that I have put through it. Brand new, you can find them for @325.00.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

There are more pistol caliber ARs then ever. I want one in 10mm