Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: This looks interesting - Metalic reloading from MEC

This looks interesting - Metalic reloading from MEC

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Go figure.

Boolit Master
    How many threads are on the MEC Marksman press now? 4 or 5?

I noticed that after I posted. Moderators can lock this one.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Strange that they bolstered the frame up so stoutly in the die head but didn't make it compound leverage below. Unless I'm seeing the picture wrong, it's looks to be robust enough for heavy case forming and casual bullet swaging but it will tire out the operator if a lot of that is going to be done.

Boolit Master

Linkage is indeed compound. I have one to be delivered maņana, so can make sure.

Boolit Buddy
    $175 for what is a semi C frame?

Boolit Master
    all 4 mec presses in my loadin room work well and last from the 1970's jr my pop passed on to me to the 8567's to the 20ga sizemaster i got last year. this new metalic single stage looks to be stout and competitively priced.

Boolit Buddy

Hornady wants over $200 for the latest single stage. I have not seen the MEC in person but it looks stout enough in the pictures. I have no need for either, but I imagine they would sell to someone who does.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    Did anyone ever find out if it has a removable bushing so that it can take 1-1/4-12 does or perhaps a L-n-L quick change bushing?
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    $175 for what is a semi C frame?
    What's the matter with a C channel frame? It is a O press. Some presses resemble an I or T in the castings but end up being an O frame. A few into C style frames like the Lee Reloader, or Ultramag.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    Hornady wants over $200 for the latest single stage. I have not seen the MEC in person but it looks stout enough in the pictures. I have no need for either, but I imagine they would sell to someone who does.
    I have the new Iron Press. It is very robust and stout machine. The MEC may look stout in the pictures but specifications say a little different story.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

My MEC came in. It's a beast, quite heavy. It has the smoothest ram movement I have ever seen and there is zero play at the top of stroke. Linkage is, in fact, compound. There appears to be a threaded insert for the die mount, but it looks like the press may have been powder coated after it was installed. There are wrench flats on the insert, though. I'm not going to remove it unless it becomes necessary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Did anyone ever find out if it has a removable bushing so that it can take 1-1/4-12 does or perhaps a L-n-L quick change bushing?
    Here you go :

Please see spec for the Marksman below.
    Weight : 15lbs
    Press opening: 4.75"
    Ram travel: 3.87"

The die bushing is not welded in the press, and yes it can be removed to accept other quick change die accessories.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

This is the reply I got back. It is just a tad heavier than the Lee Classic Cast which weighs 13.25 lbs. The frame is not as tall so I think the weight may come from a thicker frame or maybe a solid not hollow ram. I would love to see the primer disposal on the MEC. The MEC weighs in just over half of the Hornady Iron, the Ultramag and the Champion. I do like the shellholder arrangement of the MEC and hope it accepts the LNL press conversion. You need 1-1/4" - 12 if I remember right. The price of the MEC places it a little lower than the average price of cast iron presses found on Midway. I believe they are not done and we will see a powder measure, scales, etc. from MEC to come.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Walp, it took a helping of my friend's Wick Fowler sirloin chili to wake up my senses. I did the obvious and looked at the MEC press manual. Shonuff, the die bushing is threaded 1 1/4 x 12.

Boolit Master
    Using the Hornady L-n-L bushing makes it a bit more useful. I have an L-n-L bushing my RCBS Summit and Redding Ultra Mag presses. I suspect what will happen is that few will buy the press at $175.00. It will be discounted down to $150 or less. Then it will become legend and people will sell it on eBay for twice original MSRP. Always seems to happen that way...
    [

Boolit Master
    Midway offers several accessories. One is a shorter handle. Another is a mounting base.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Midway offers several accessories. One is a shorter handle. Another is a mounting base.
    Yessir, I got both with the press. Nothing much to report about the shorter handle, but the base is heavy and well made, would mount the press on top of a surface with no part of the press extending below that surface during operation.

One idea for an apartment dweller would be to mount the base and press on the end of a plank of wood. For use, place the working end on a table or bench, the back end on a chair, stool or stack of stuff, then sit between to hold things down.

removable bushing so that it can take 1-1/4-12 does or perhaps a L-n-L quick change bushing?
    the answer is yes, as posted in the other thread(s).