RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with runfiverun 2017

Hunting with runfiverun 2017

After backpacking in the first day of the hunt just to have a ton of people four wheelers scare away a few bucks

The third morning we finally got a long shot off at a big four point we found hanging out in a bachelor herd of I think four decent sized bucks. After tracking it for a while we lost it in some trees, we decided to hike back out for the day and look again the next day. We grabbed the wheelers and drove up to our trailhead to find someone camped on the road, they had a nice buck (they told us they found it, wouldn't admit either of em shot it)
    We just let it go, at least it was recovered.

We hiked all over for four er' five days and where do we see deer? ...in a ladies pasture right by town.

Today I had to work, and I just get home when i get a call that runfiverun got a deer and needs my help, he likes to mess with me so I told him I wasn't in the mood and hung up on him. He shows up at my house with a huge bodied 3x3.... Guess that shut me up lol
    It's got about an 18 inch spread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1226.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	179035

Name:	IMAG1225.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	179036

Name:	IMAG1222.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	179037
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Boolit Master
    Good job Lamar, hope you used a sixgun! I know you can do it, I've seen you shoot.

Dick

Vendor Sponsor

Whoa dang nice way to start the season! Kudos sir!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

What, you didn't help your pa? He'd never pull your leg huntin now would he? He didn't even gut it. How do you drag deer that size up and down the Rockies to the truck and not even gut, what superman dragger, cart, or helicopter. What, did he hit it with the truck? I didn't know they made cast boolit trucks. Regardless I think I hear steel on stone. congrats
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Banned

actually the truck has a cast boolits magnet for the door.
    I half way threw the tape on it tonight and got a 19 spread and 22"s of height.
    little girl guesses 18" I guessed closer to 20" [his ears are 25"]

I initially went up the mountain after a nice 4x4 I spotted through the spotting scope [need a better one of those btw]
    but by the time I got up there he had moved along and I could look back down on the path I had taken to get after him and seen where I went wrong. [actually 2 mistakes]
    the first was I cut into a patch of willows then backed out and went around them but he could look right down on me and seen me skirt the edge. [on the wrong/easy side]
    I should have just cut the distance and made the shot but it was getting late and snowing again.
    the second mistake was not taking another minute to check out the opposing ridgeline for landmarks to use as I come up the other ridge to gauge where he was.
    there was another deer with the 4x4 but I couldn't make out the antlers clearly through the scope and it was getting after 6 o'clock when I went up after them. [and it didn't much matter I knew they were both good deer]
    this is the one that was with him and he made the mistake of cutting across mostly open ground [through/around some cedar trees] to the pine tree line near the top and stopping to look back.
    I seen him cutting across and waited for him to get into the open grass and buck brush on the other side.
    he didn't see/smell me where I was standing under some trees half out of the rain/snow mix and he started feeding along again.
    about 2 minutes later [seemed like 20] he finally gave me a good broadside shot at about 150 yds.

now this wasn't a cast boolit but the bullet's core was cast from a genuine modified 6 cavity LEE mold BT-Sniper made into an 11 cavity core mold for me.
    and I did make the bullet from scratch using sierra jackets. [so that kind of counts]
    I punched 1 rib square and broke three ribs going in.
    I cut the artery on the top of the heart and made a grand mess out of the lungs before the bullet went into the off side shoulder and stopped just under the skin on the far side.
    up hill shot at about 45*
    he dropped at the shot, and was struggling to get up and I initially thought I muffed the shot and hit the spine somehow, but I had a pretty good branch to kind of set the rifle on and the shot felt good.
    as he half struggled and half rolled down the hill I could tell I flat knocked the wind out of him and that he would be dead long before I could get up to him.

now I didn't clean him on the mountain because of the muddy ground and the steepness of the hill and the oncoming darkness was going to make getting him out enough of a bother.
    thankfully [loves to shoot] Cody was at the truck waiting for me and started up my direction like I told him to if he heard a shot.
    he only fell twice on the way up.
    but he come grabbed the rifle and my coat.
    thank god cause I was sweating to death, covered in mud, burrs, and soaking wet from the thighs on down.

I made it to the main road with the deer and went up to fetch the truck and Cody flagged down another truck right before I got there and they helped us get him on the tail gate.
    I was gonna back the 4 wheeler off the truck, strap him to it and drag him up like that, cause there ain't no way the two of us was going to get him on there.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Fresh venison is always good! Great story, too!

Boolit Grand Master
    very nice
    sounds like fun and work but does it get any better
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

Great hunt, great shot, and meat never tastes so good as when it's truly EARNED. Ya' done good, Run! REAL good!

Good deer and good work getting it out. I just have to tell what I saw going from Dallas to Houston last weekend. Navigator with a (deer) rack on top. Was as wide as the roof rack, tines pointed up and back so NOT made to look bigger. Not a Tx buck! I passed it about Ennis and didn't count the points but they were long and large. Couldn't tell if the skull was there. I didn't see brow tines but it could have been a Co. elk, looked more like a big muley.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Great story and great hunt! Congratulations to you! I've never had the opportunity to hunt big game in the western states but always heard that it is best to have the entrance hole on the lower side of the chest and the exit hole on the high side of the other side. Sounds like you did follow that rule!
    Take care,
    Rick

Vendor Sponsor

Congrads .. freezer will be fuller now.. Good hunting good story
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Perma-Banned

Good job!

Congrats on a great hunt.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on a nice buck

Banned

if your between the deer and the truck the low entrance, high exit is a good strategy.
    if however the deer is between the truck and you the high entrance low exit is they way to go.

I still need to work on the bullet, it behaves just like a sierra game king and I didn't get a complete pass through.
    it smacked the jesus out of him right on the spot.
    [and the first one which I'm convinced was a high lung shot and missed the shoulder which put him in shock but didn't de-mobilize him]
    if I would have had to track this guy very far through the pines I would have been in trouble, he was leaving no blood trail to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will sound repetitious, but here goes--fine shot, great hunt, and a well-told story.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Congrats, some good eatin there.

How is that old sayin goes . . . .
    Sumpthin like

Always hunt uphill from the vehicle/road! ! !
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

Nice deer and good story. Sounds like a great time all around. Congratulations!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice big buck, great hunt and a story well told! Nicely done, all around....even if littlegirl stole a bit of your thunder, lol. She did a good job on the pics, tho.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Nice deer runfiverun, thanks for sharing pics. Reading your story it was easy to experience your hunt vicariously.

By the way, I always thought that picture in your avatar was you!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Banned

well I tried wearing a hat like that hunting,,,,, once........................ just once.

there will be more stories to follow as the kids get their deer Littlegirl has tomorrow and Sunday and Trystan has Friday and Sunday.
    I'm still not sure on whether the nephew is going to be able to go or not.
    but at the least I should be able to get Dawn to put up some pictures of the roads and snow and such.