Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like fixed power scopes

Boolit Master

I like fixed power scopes

I've always liked fixed power scopes. Variables can be useful, but there's something about the simplicity of a fixed power scope that has always appealed to me. I have a variety, from cheap imports to nice Leopolds. Everything from 2X to a fixed 36X BSA. A bunch of El Paso Weavers too. Can't pass 'em up. One of the things I like is they are durable. Even my cheapies seem to go on and on. No problems. Along that line of thinking I'm hoping "hunting" will be 'in' again as opposed to the new long range sniping trend. Give me a good spot and stalk with a 2.5 scope and I'm happy. Maybe a plain Bushnell Sportview 4X.

Boolit Master
    the fixed powers have a lot less stuff in them to go bad or cause a leak.

I use the Vortex 1x scope in place of red dots. It is like iron sight you dont have to line up. And no batts to go bad or forget.

I like the 2.5 or 3x scopes. If it looks too far away through them, then it is too far away for me to shoot.

I do use a 6-24x for load development. It is on a 44 Magnum rifle right now. It will be replaced with the Leupold 2.5 Ultralight.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always been a fan of fixed power scopes on my target rifles.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy

There has been a 6x Redfield Tracker on my Ruger 77 for over 18 years, it has the 42mm Objective and works really well for a .270 Winchester .......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Bub
    I Have owned many Weavers with post reticles 4x to 6x, handgun scopes too for the m84x to Burris 2x and liked them all. Now I cannot say more about my SWFA 6x, great scope for my cast bullet Yugo 48. Zeroed at 100 yards I have shot with accuracy to 300 yards just using the Mil-dots. Fixed power scopes are so much easier to maintain and require less care in the field (though the SWFA 3-15 mil quad has me consdering a try in that direction again). Tracking, zero changes, image changes all are the consequences of "low-end" variables, so for now I stick with what works.
    Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You.
    (Psa 33:22)
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -John Adams

Banned
    Simple is good !

A fixed power scope has a lot going for it.

Boolit Master

Simpler and more reliable, yes, also lighter, a wider field of view, longer eye relief and brighter, due to fewer lenses and larger erector tubes.

I use several 1.5x to 4x fixed scopes, 2.5x is my favorite for hunting. I can afford better brands because they run cheaper than comparable variable scopes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a 2 34x Redfield in the early 70's. Put it on a 338mag. When the 338 went, the scope stayed and spent years on a od 660 308. Well the son has the 660 now and figured he needed more scope so today that scope is om a custom 30-06 and working fine. My present 308 has another very old Redfield, 1-4x I put it on 4x and leave it alone. have a very old Weaver K4 in the dresser, need to get another rifle to use it on!

Boolit Master
    I have several Weavers and Leupold. Really like the 3x Leupolds.

Me too. 4X fixed is the biggest scope I will put on my ARs. From a 2.5 X Weaver to a 6X Burris and lots of others between- I love fixed scopes. My brother put a Japan Bushnell 4x Sportview on his elk rifle in 1979-all he could afford at the time. He always said he'd replace it when it broke. Still there! I had a Weaver T10 as my go to varmint scope for awhile and I still miss it. I grew up with a K6 on my 22-250 788 and never coveted my buddies high powered variables. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Master
    It looks like I'm in good company on this subject. Simple is good. I put a Leopold FX6 on a 1903a3 30-06 and was able to sight it in for 1,000 yds. using a standard base. It was a match. I got several X's. That's a lot of adjustment range, like about 3 ft. high at 100 yds. !

I'm going to downsize my scope collection soon. Watch the swapping &selling department here. I want them to find homes with ya'll. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I got a swfa 6X I really like it. The only thing I would consider a draw back is the turret know can not be locked. I doubt it was designed to be on a hunting rifle but finding fixed powered scopes seems to harder than it used to be.

In Remembrance

Sitting on a 1955 Model 70 in .375 H&H is an El Paso 1964 vintage 3x Weaver with post reticule. Can I do any better? Scattered through out the gun safes are still more set power scopes from other makers 2.5, 3 and 4x on my most used rifles.Robert

I love the fixed powers also. I have a set 10x and a set 6x leupold that i've had for about 40 years. They saw very hard use for about 37 of those years and are ready to replace my "new" variables at the first hint of trouble lol!

Boolit Master
    I've used the SWFA fixed 10 and 16. Hopefully the black-friday deals cover a Leupold fixed 6x this year, I'd love to upgrade the scope on my Ruger.

Banned

ive got a couple on guns I use for crop damage deer shooting in the fields. If I lived out west where most of the hunting is in the open out past a 100 yards id have many more of them. But around here you can be hunting in the thickest swamp one minute and be out into a field the next. A good 2x7 or 1x4 or even a 3x9 is a better choice. that and some of my guns do double duty as crop damage field guns and thick woods deer season guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    I've used the SWFA fixed 10 and 16. Hopefully the black-friday deals cover a Leupold fixed 6x this year, I'd love to upgrade the scope on my Ruger.
    If you don't, be sure to check Optics Planet. They seem to have the best prices and coupons are often available that range from 5-20% off. Shipping has always been free when I ordered from them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    If you don't, be sure to check Optics Planet. They seem to have the best prices and coupons are often available that range from 5-20% off. Shipping has always been free when I ordered from them.
    Watch your wallet, OpticsPlanet and Dvor are both on my list of places that have a high incidence of CC fraud.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    Watch your wallet, OpticsPlanet and Dvor are both on my list of places that have a high incidence of CC fraud.
    I have never had a problem with Optics Planet. But, credit card fraud isn't much of an issue in my experience. A phone call will clear it up.