RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing coated bullets

Boolit Master
    The lees do have their uses. That cheap open type they sell works fine for seating bullets or priming, I just keep a priming set up always on the one I have, its screwed to a chunk of wood, clamps to the kitchen table if need be. I size in the heavier Lee cast iron, bought it as I needed the larger 1 1/4 dies for my 577/450. And now for sizing. I just give PCd bullets a spritz of wd40 and run em thru. No need for anything fancy or over thinking.

Boolit Master
    Guess you guys are discussing the Lee Reloader Press 90045 ?
    With purchased (7/8-14 threaded shell holders, priming rods)
    and custom parts these can be used for
    "Top Priming" with Big Fat .50 BMG, 8mm Berdan and 9mm Berdan primers.

Can be modified for Other Cool Stuff too....

Boolit Master
    Tell me more about top priming?,I've been trying to find a way to prime/deprime 303 cases modified to use 209 shotshell primers. Pat

I will ask a newbe question. I want to try pc some 9mm. I have a lee mold that is .356. If I size after powder coating is it best to use a sizing die that is .356 or should I get one that is .357. I read that the powder coating doesn't add much to the bullet but I does want to take the coating off with the sizer. Is that not a problem with powder coating?

Boolit Buddy
    I size before and after . On my hollow points I mounted one of the above mentioned lee pot metal C presses on a 2X8 upside down clamped to my bench so I nose first size . On my SWC I use the Lee sizing red containers things on a Lee classic cast .

Smile Each to his own..

Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    I will ask a newbe question. I want to try pc some 9mm. I have a lee mold that is .356. If I size after powder coating is it best to use a sizing die that is .356 or should I get one that is .357. I read that the powder coating doesn't add much to the bullet but I does want to take the coating off with the sizer. Is that not a problem with powder coating?
    I do like to size to .357" after the PC.

I use my Lyman 450, and .357" die with the stem removed-I pass through the bottom of the die and out the bottom of the Lyman 450.

There are threads here on how to adapt a RCBS, or Lyman lubersizer to pass through..Works for me....Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Vendor Sponsor

I got one of the Perfessor's Lyman Sizing Die Adapters when he was making them. It screws into my Rockchucker and you push the boolits up thru it. Runs just as fast as you can sit the boolits on top of the pusher and work the handle. If you set the die up so that the press is camming over center as the boolit is going thru the die it gives you the maximum Mechanical Advantage and it's pretty easy. I do the same thing when De-Bulging .40S&W brass and it works the same way.

I had never used this tool before because it had no way to lube the boolits.

However it works perfectly for sizing P/C'd boolits (no lube necessary ) and I have ran about 200 of the ones I've done my testing on, thru it with no problems whatsoever. Uses existing Lyman Dies which I have a bunch of.

They go right thru the die and end up in a pop bottle that is screwed into the top piece. Keith had the good sense to make the bottle adapter with the Universal Soda Bottle Thread so you can use any bottle with a twist off cap you choose. I chose a fizzy water bottle so I didn't have to clean it out first.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-02-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I've never had a problem with PC getting scraped off during sizing unless the sizer is dirty. Clean it with chore boy/ brush or some polishing compound. No problem sizing in Lee classic cast - no lube needed - even when sizing 26+ BHN boolits. 357 or larger is normal for 9mm.
    Whatever!