WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target scope crosshair wire

Boolit Master

Target scope crosshair wire

Anybody know the diameter of typical (fine) crosshair wire as used in Fecker, Unertl, Litschert scopes, and where to find it? Any tips/tricks regarding installation of same? (Test case: 10x Litschert.)

Boolit Buddy

I'll dig some up and measure it for you. I have some here. I rebuilt a few UNERTL's a few years back. The trick is to use small hemostat clamps to hold the hair in the correct place and let the excess hang and keep it tight. Remove the screws and put a drop of CA glue on the ring before the screw. That is the easy way. Then put the screw in and tighten it.

Boolit Buddy

Here is where you can get some. I am thinking it is 0.0003 diameter but I can't read it. These guys can help.

Parsons scope service
    2213 Smith Road
    P. O. Box 192
    Ross OH 45061
    (513) 867-0820

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I'll give them a shout.

Banned

Unertl's were not sealed. Wires rusted. A spot looked like house. I had a pack of wire from them but don't know the dimensions. I tried my hair and dog hair and spider web. I seen a log in the scope.
    Take a modern scope apart, you better have a way to put nitrogen in and seal. Wire must be tight or there will be a sag.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had a couple friends who used to restore scopes. They said cat hair was the only thing fine enough, that they had found.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    gnoahhh - the answer for the source for wire has been posted on the ASSRA forum!
    10 bucks for 3 ft lengths in the diameter of your choice
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

They used spider web in the old days. I wish I could remember which old book I have that had instructions for re hairing a scope.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, John Boy. I followed the link and bought some right then and there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnfalconer View Post
    Here is where you can get some. I am thinking it is 0.0003 diameter but I can't read it. These guys can help.

Parsons scope service
    2213 Smith Road
    P. O. Box 192
    Ross OH 45061
    (513) 867-0820
    Not to hijack this thread, but what do these folks do? What scopes do they work on and how involved do they get? Any chance they do power bumps?

Sorry for the off post.

An older gentleman at my gun club says a hair from his 6 year old grand daughter worked good. Much finer than ours.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but what do these folks do? What scopes do they work on and how involved do they get? Any chance they do power bumps?

Sorry for the off post.
    Primarily they repair antique scopes and general maintenance. I don't know if they offer power increases on scopes.

Boolit Master
    The spider web that was used was from Black Widow webs.Be careful when harvesting.Mama might get a bit testy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I got the wire installed. All I can say is thank god for magnifying goggles!

Are you sure they used spider web? I was under the impression the material was the silk fibers teased from out of the spider's cocoon.

In Jack O'Connor's book, he has a chapter on optics. 1st paragraph : There are two kinds of people who work on scopes, experts and fools. I once spent several hours trying to rehair a old
    target scope. I searched all over my shop and basement looking for "hairs". Then I came up with
    the idea to use the fine copper wire out of a little coil in a transistor radio. This is very fine wire.
    after fooling around and mounting it. Put scope back together, it looked like crossed telephone
    poles and that soft copper was deformed with flats and burrs all over it. Since I didn't fall into
    expert class I retired as scope repair man. And if you don't purge with gas, scope will fogg.

Boolit Grand Master

The OP has already purchased wire and its for a 10x Litschert. These are not sealed scopes. I replaced the wires in a 15x Litschert about 20 years ago. Getting the wires at 90% was interesting.

I am going to change dia. so I will order some more from one of these sources

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1472393507

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=145779
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-08-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Banned

Military snipers used the Unertl target scopes and I never figured out how, not being sealed. It was accurate but just a damp day made the wires rust.
    Best scope I ever had was the Balvar 24, huge thing with no internal adjustments, they were in the mount at the rear. Cross hairs were etched on glass and tapered to almost nothing so as power was increased they looked the same. 6X to 24X. It was sealed and the most deadly accurate I ever shot. It is the one I had on my pre 64 model 70 in 220 Swift. I shot 5 shots into 1/4" at 350 yards with it. My sight in distance back then, shot chucks in the head to over 600 yards. One of my big mistakes in life to sell the outfit. But like now something new meant selling.
    Today it is hard to find a scope to follow and a gun that shot like old. Need to be rich!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The OP has already purchased wire and its for a 10x Litschert. These are not sealed scopes. I replaced the wires in a 15x Litschert about 20 years ago. Getting the wires at 90% was interesting.

I am going to change dia. so I will order some more from one of these sources

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1472393507

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=145779
    By wrapping the wire counterclockwise around the top screw (with the screws at 12,3,6,and9 o'clock), and clockwise around the bottom screw, flipping it 90º and repeating with the second wire, the hairs turn out perpendicular. I think they spaced the screw holes so it works out. By that point I was ready to call it a day and put the scope back together and grabbed a beer, happy in the knowledge that I dodged a $100 repair bill with $10 worth of wire and a little time. I didn't bother measuring the screw hole spacing to prove/disprove my theory!

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Military snipers used the Unertl target scopes and I never figured out how, not being sealed. It was accurate but just a damp day made the wires rust.
    Best scope I ever had was the Balvar 24, huge thing with no internal adjustments, they were in the mount at the rear. Cross hairs were etched on glass and tapered to almost nothing so as power was increased they looked the same. 6X to 24X. It was sealed and the most deadly accurate I ever shot. It is the one I had on my pre 64 model 70 in 220 Swift. I shot 5 shots into 1/4" at 350 yards with it. My sight in distance back then, shot chucks in the head to over 600 yards. One of my big mistakes in life to sell the outfit. But like now something new meant selling.
    Today it is hard to find a scope to follow and a gun that shot like old. Need to be rich!

Does anyone believe this? Or is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    Does anyone believe this? Or is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you believe it?

"Trust, but verify."