WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret press

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Classic Turret press

I have a two Dillon 550B's for general reloading chores. I have long used a Lee Turret Press for those times when I only want to load a few rounds for testing, etc. Recently, I replaced the Lee Turret press with a new Lee Classic Turret press. For the uninitiated, the Classic is Lee's relatively new Cast Iron frame turret press with a longer stroke so it is more compatible with rifle cartridges.

I just recently set it up and started using it. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered how much an advancement it is on the very good Lee Turret press. The design is very similar but much refined over the earlier Lee press. It is smoother, more precise feeling, and is very satisfying to use (good tools are ALWAYS more satisfying to use). I definitely recommend the Lee Safety Prime system which is optional (you save money buying for both the large and small primers at the same time). It speeds up the operation a good bit.

For those that are curious, I can say that it is relatively easy to turn out 150-200 rounds per hour (.45 Auto Rim, for example). If you haven't used one of the Lee Turret presses, you can change calibers in seconds, not minutes. That is very useful to me as I reload for a number of different calibers.

All in all, I am MORE than satisfied with my "Upgrade".

Dale53

In Remembrance

+1 LOVE IT! If you use the auto disc powder measure you will need the auto disc riser to clear dies other than Lee. I reccomend the Pro Auto Disc ( or the update kit if you have the Auto Disc) as well as the swivel adapter. DALE

Boolit Grand Master

Dale (with a name like that, of COURSE you're correct);

You are absolutely correct. The Pro Disc measure is WORLD'S better than the standard one (powder "turn-off" and easy (finger) removal of the powder hopper to change charge discs.

I have purchased auto riser's for all of my turrets. Definitely a good move.

Dale53

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    The lovely thing about the Lee Classic Turret is the entire setup, in several calibers, can be had for less than the price of setting up a progressive in a single caliber. Additionally, the 200 round per hour count is plenty for most folks, even those in competition. Finally, adding calibers is really affordable, even if you include buying a powder measure for every turret.

Hard to find anything to criticize about the Lee Classic Turret.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Yup, it's one of the best kept secrets in handloading.

I've owned two of the older Lee turret presses for many years, so I have about 11 of the three hole turrets filled with dies. Rather than start over with the four hole turrets, I swapped out the top of the Classic for one of the older heads. I can now use all my old turrets, and if I want to use the four hole turret, it takes about two minutes to reinstall it.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

I made the move to convert my old turret press to four holes as I really enjoy the Factory Crimp Dies in pistol calibers. I have long advocated a separate seating and crimping die. A four hole turret allows me to do that.

I sold my three hole turrets to someone on this forum. We both gained.

Dale53

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    I have the Deluxe Turret, the Classic turret, and a 550B. They all get used. Still warming up to the 550. The turret still hard to beat for many of the reasons above.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have just finished fitting my new Redding T-7 onto my reloading bench. It has replaced my old Simplex O-Frame (an Ozzy made RCBS O-frame). I got it for loading rifle stuff (use the 550 for pistol). The old O-Frame was OK, but most of the rifle stuff I load at the moment is BPCR, and you need to be able to switch between powder compression and seating/crimping (and when I get a taper crimp die, that will be one more), and the old Simplex was just a PITA. Just fooling around with it at the moment, but it is great to be able to size the case (I de-cap at the range) and then expand the neck without removing the case from the press.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Bub
    +1 to the lee classic turret press. my rockchucker sees little use since i got my
    lee. dan

I have both the old and new model turrets. Both are set up with the Lee safety prime and Pro auto disc. I use the old model 3 hole for revolver rounds and the new model 4 hole for semi auto rounds. The extra hole allows me to taper crimp. Both took a bit of tweaking, nothing really challenging, and now both perform flawlessly. I reload for about 20 differant calibers. I am very pleased with them both but have to admit the classic is best. For my humble reloading tasks I feel I have the dream set up. Both are auto index and I have never had the problems with this feature that others have complained of. All my dies are set up in extra disks so changing calibers is a snap.

Boolit Master
    Most times, the ads hyping a product are, shall we say, way overdone. The Lee ads describe the Classic Turret as a "dream machine", and for me, I can't think of a better description. This is one time when the product lives up to the hype, at least for me. After using the Classic Turret, I got rid of some 3- or 4- odd presses I had lying around. That was when it first came out, and I have never looked back. Sometimes the Lee website will run the 4-hole turrets at less than half price, calling them "seconds". What a bargain! I also custom-fabricated a six-inch + "riser tube" for mine, and it handles loading my 45 Colt Pyrodex loads now as well. This is a really great machine!
    lathesmith

I have been braging them up to all my shooting buddies and people who think they want to get into reloading. Most people turn their noses up when you tell them Lee. The Classic Turret is one press Lee definetly done right.

My only complaint is somtimes new primers pop out onto the floor instead of going into the primer cup.

tom
    I got a letter from the post office today with "Identity theft prevention tips" on the front above where my name should be. Where my name should have been there was "postal customer" I thought "oh no too late somebody already stole my name."

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret Press, great Press for little money

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Dick Lee is the reloaders best friend. I swage, in two steps, .323" jacketed bullets down to .3155" for an overbore Mosin-Nagant. It was a hard job using my old press, so I decided to believe the hype and get a Lee Classic Cast press. Like "lathesmith" said, it twern't no hype. The hard job suddenly became easy. The Classic Cast is worth twice what Lee charges for it.

Boolit Master
    The Lee Classic Cast is awesome. One thing about the Lee presses that I think is sometimes left out of discussions is that the handle is fully adjustable on all of them. I have other brands and I tend to like the handles tilted forward on the Lee, my Hornady and RCBS I have don't have that feature and never feel quite right to me. I've got a four hole turret that I use on 38,357, (two seperate turret set ups), 41,44,45,454, and 475 linebaugh, all with seperate turrets and pro auto disc powder measures. I decap and size, tumble, then reprime off the press so I have an empty hole in the 4 turret head. The empty hole is between the powder through case expander die and the bullet seat die, this is for a visual inspection of the powder charge (I have a very bright light right above the bench) then of course I use the lee factory crimp die. It's simple and works, and I can visually inspect the powder charge. My old 3 die station turret (I took the auto index off) holds dies for 223,223ai, and 22-250. I set up the resizers on one turret, bullet seaters on another and another for power charging (I throw charges for these three cartridges. It's plenty strong enough for these cartridges. I've read a lot of bad press about the lee, but I've never broken anything on any of them. Now if Lee would start making a factory crimp die for the 475 I would be set!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-n8ies View Post
    My only complaint is somtimes new primers pop out onto the floor instead of going into the primer cup.
    I had this problem, and also that of the primers ending up in the toggle arm cockeyed. Both issues had a common solution: the feed tube/rail is two halves that snap together. They had started to open up at the bottom, allowing the primers to skew as they were fed. Simply pressing the two halves back together fixed things, and I've not had a problem since.

I will add my paen of praise to the general chorus. I just started reloading last year, and after reading many threads like this one, chose the Lee Classic Turret, purchased in "kit" form from Kempf Gun Shop. Deciding factors:
    • Cost
    • Caliber flexibility/swappable turret system
    • Index or non-index, switchable w/o tools
    • Spent primer handling

I've been reloading .40SW for practice, and with increasing frequency to support my IDPA habit. I'm still fairly cautious (I check OAL and powder weight every 10th round, second guess myself often, etc.) but still can turn out 100-150 rounds/hr when I get going.

I am entirely satisfied. I have the production I desire for handgun ammo, can use it in non-indexing mode for milsurp rifle round building... it does what I need. I do eye the Hornady LnL ads, but I can't see needing that volume of production in the near future.
    ksccw.com - Connecting carrying Kansans.

Boolit Grand Master

There is absolutely NO comparison to any other press PERIOD that for match quality production per dollar spent, the Lee Classic Turret stands heads and shoulders above the herd. A real piece of quality for a relatively small amount of money.

I have and use two Dillon 550B's for most of my quantity production. However, if circumstances forced me to only use the Lee Classic Turret you would NOT hear me gnashing my teeth and wailing my head off. It's that dern good for the dollars expended.

I DO love my Dillon's but this Lee is a dandy press. That is what I suggest to anyone just getting into loading. It's a auto advancing turret at single stage prices.

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    X10 for the Classic Cast Turret Press.

I do 40 S&W and 7.62X39 on it. 100 rds of 40 in 45 min, X39 is a little slower because I have to scoop ( Using the Lee Powder Scoops) powder , guess I have to invest in another Auto Disc measure.

I love the priming system, priming right after resizing seems like doing 2 jobs at the same time.

I can't say enough good about this press.

A Classic Cast (Single Stage) is going to replace my Challenger in the near future.

Craig

Banned

I waited and waited to buy a Redding T-7 turret press, but always held up because of funds and I'm really glad I did cause that classic turret is no joke.

I really am beginning to like it better than my 550B. All the money I have in that over the years with shell plates etc., and I find myself reaching for the Classic every time. Now my challneger o press and my classic single stage get used more as powder measure stands than anything..

Boolit Mold
    While admittedly not the most knowledgelable reloader on the planet, I have been at it for 40 years and have found the Lee products to be of quality and value.
    I have stopped using Dillon presses as a result of the unreliable primer mechanism of the 650 press and the very inaccurate powder measures Dillon makes. By Dillon's own words, their powder measure will only throw a charge with a variance of plus or minus 1.5 grains.
    This is just too dangerous for me.