Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Dillon do I need?

Banned

I have 4 550's
    and one 650.
    the cover looks nice on the 650.

I use mostly LEE carbide size dies on the 550's no problems.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the 550. Never encountered a lock-ring problem--I use the Dillon rings they are thinner than what you get from Lyman-RCBS-Lee and don't need set screws.
    I've done many thousands of 223, 204 Ruger and 308W on mine. For rounds that may be used in different rifles I F/L size all on my Rockchucker then tumble and then do the rest on the Dillon.

Good enuff for varmint/PD work!
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 04-08-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Master

It is true you need to size and trim rifle cases before loading them on the 550B. But you do that on a single stage press also. With the 550B you can can remove the sizing die and just prime the already sized and trimmed cases. Second stage you can use dropped charges from the Dillon powder measure (or add another brand PM with powder tube and adapter). Also you can add a funnel and pour weighed powder charges in the case. Bullet seating is the same as a single stage press on the third case.
    To an earlier poster_ Does David Tubb use dropped or weighed powder charges?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    It
    To an earlier poster_ Does David Tubb use dropped or weighed powder charges?
    For the long yardage he used a Prometheus scale. I don't believe these are made anymore. I don't know what he does for short yardage. I haven't spoke with him in five or six years so my info may be dated.

Boolit Buddy
    get the 550. I have both 550 and 650 and hardly ever use the 650.

Boolit Master
    Just my 3 cents, For pistol, I have the 550B, If loading rifle using stick powders, I hand weigh...and load on a rock chucker. just anal about accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my 550, I dont desire a 650 and would only do the sdb presses if I was going to have one for each caliber

I've never used any other Progressive but my SD, I bought it back in the mid 80s and have dies and tool heads for 4 different calibers. I have 2 powder systems each dedicated to large or light carges and 2 primer systems. I have sent it back twice since I bought it and Dillon has been exemplary in their service. All that said I have wished for years that I had bought the 550B, mainly because it is a manual advance system. I would buy the 550B if I were you.

Vendor Sponsor

I have 2 SDB's and a 550B that a friend gave me a while back. I have enough dies and tool plates to set up the 550 to do what the SDB's are set up to do. .40S&W and .45 ACP. So it will take over those operations and the SDB's will go down the road easily for more than I paid for them.

I load mainly .223's on the 550 now but intend to set it up for everything as I already have dies for everything. If you already have dies then all that is needed is a Powder Funnel for each cartridge and the shell plate,,, and then you can change out tool heads to any other cartridge as needed. If you want to use weighed charges then you get the little Dillon Funnel that fits atop the powder die, and use the press as a 4 Station Turret Press.

One thing to consider here when talking this accuracy thing, is that accuracy when loading is almost completely defined by the way the bullet is seated, it is the one step that really makes the difference. And that is controlled completely by the Seating Die,,, Not the Press. As long as the die indexes the cartridge case in a concentric manner and has a decent fit the die will shove the bullet into the case strait. You could do it in a vice if you had to, but the press is only the method used to impart motion to the system. Lee Loaders use a Mallet!, and they make pretty good ammo.

The 550B is actually a 4 Station Turret Press where the cartridge cases are moved instead of the dies. The BL550 is the stripped version of the 550B press and is exactly that,,, a 4 Station Turret Press.

Accuracy is not achieved by "worrying" individual cartridges together. It is achieved by using the correct tools,,, correctly. Speed is not an issue unless it causes you to make mistakes. You can make the same mistakes on a Single Stage Press, it just takes more effort..

You can also use a Strait Line Seating Die like a Vickerman or RCBS Competition Seating Die in the 550 Tool Head to insure accurate bullet seating.

The Dillon 550 B is without a doubt the most versatile Reloading Press out there with the possible exception of most decent Single Stage Presses. You actually need both and then you're set up for life.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have had SDBs, 550s, and 650... I only have the 650 now. If you are willing to put out the money for a toolhead for each and a powder measure for large and small bars (I only use two measures) it's hard to beat it. I also use a bullet feeder, which the 550 does not easily accommodate.

Boolit Master
    Randy is right you don't need a single stage press to turn out quality ammo and you can turn out bad ammo with anything.

Dies make a big difference that is the reason I use Dillon & Redding dies. I use a Redding Micrometer Seating die for all my calibers. I found the Dillon dies size a little further down on the case and tend to eliminate the bulge that my RCBS dies couldn't take out of straight walled pistol cases.

I ran two 550's for years, now I run two 650's. The big difference is the 650 gives you more production with less effort, is a little stronger press, has an extra station, which allows for a powder check for safer loading and the case feeder works with all standard rifle & handgun cartridges. For the extra money the 650 is the way to go, but the 550 is a good press.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes I run out of thread on the Lee dies, but I just use some teflon pipe tape on the threads. Seems to stay in place

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    The Dillon 550 requires a 7/8 - 14 die with a relatively long thread length. I found some of my dies by makers other than Dillon did not have enough thread length to use the die lock ring, not all dies, but some. Your current dies may or may not work.
    Put the lock ring on the bottom (under the tool head), it works and doesn't cost a penny.

I have all of the Dillon's they all have things I like about them vs the others. I guess if I had to pick between the SD and 550 for all of my loading, that would be pretty easy, it would be the 550.

I'm sure you realize, but, with the 550 you do have to buy the caliber specific shellplate. You can buy individual parts from Dillon, or you can buy the complete caliber conversion kit from anyone like grafs. That being said, I'd still buy the 550 over the sdb.
    NRA Life Member

Since you already have the dies, go with the 550.

The Square Deal press is a nice press; but it uses non standard Dillon dies which you need to get to load everything you currently load. The No BS warranty applies to both.

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    Besides Lee what other die maker has short threads? I use Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Ch4D and RCBS in mine no problem.

take care

r1kk1
    Only Lee that I've found. The problem is not insurmountable; you just set the lock ring UNDER the tool head. The smaller Dillon lock rings work great there.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's happy with a Dillon 650 for loading 9mm and .45 ACP fun gun ammo.
    Have dies for other calibers, but plan to do "case prep" separately for necked rifle cartridges
    to avoid beating up the Dillon whilst resizing AND
    almost certainly resizing to a better headspace uniformity spec.

650's are nice for case prep, one tool head with size/deprime and trim (over 1000/hr) and another for loading. The 1050 is even better to have if the primer pockets need to be swaged.

Boolit Master

The OP also asked what else he should buy aside from primer pickup tubes. I say after you buy the 550, get some extra tool heads. It is ever so nice to have a set of dies already adjusted in a tool head when it is time to change calibers. Also, I generally use two heads for each pistol caliber I own: One set up with a sizer die and a Lyman "M" expander die so I can produce gobs of sized, primed, and expanded cases to store for later use, and the other with the Dillon powder measure, a seater, and a crimp die for filling the cases.

650's are nice for case prep, one tool head with size/deprime and trim (over 1000/hr) and another for loading. The 1050 is even better to have if the primer pockets need to be swaged.