Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Best Twist for a .54 cal PRB?

Question Best Twist for a .54 cal PRB?

I have an older Navy Arms / Zoli 1803 Harper's Ferry with a .58 caliber bore rifled for Minies. I'm having it relined by Bobby Hoyt in .54 for shooting patched round balls. What rifling twist rate would you guys recommend?

TIA

Tom
    If somebody were down on the corner handing out $20 bills, someone else would be complaining that it wasn't two $10s.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like 1-66.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    anything from 1-48 to 1-66. I have a 1841 that bob relined to .54 it has a 1-48 I was going to shoot n-ssa with it but never got to it. it is a tack driver with round balls though. I have a 1803 in .58 I was thinking about getting relined to .54 also. I guess one day I should go over the mountain and talk to bob.

Boolit Master

What Hoyt recommends??

Perm-Banned
    1/56 to 1/66, either of those or anything in between.

Thanks, Everybody -- lots of good input.

When I get that far, I am going to defer to Mr. Hoyt.
    If somebody were down on the corner handing out $20 bills, someone else would be complaining that it wasn't two $10s.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you are going to hunt with it and shoot heavy loads, over 100 grains of 2Fg with patched round ball, get the 66" absolutely. I used 120 grains in my Cherry Corners flinter and got 2000 fps from a 40" barrel. If planning mostly to punch paper and you want best accuracy with lighter loads of less than 80 grains, get the 56", and if you plan on very light loads less than 60 grains and not over 80 for hunting, a 48" will work and you can also shoot Maxi's out of it, but you will not shoot inch 5-shot 50-yard groups with patched ball unless you use an oversized ball with strong Muslin "pocket drill" patch, loaded tightly enough that you need to use a mallet and short starter to get it in the barrel, then spit-patch after every shot.

It can be done.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    My first T/C Hawken in 54 cal was bought from Fox Ridge Outfitters. A shop located in New Hampshire which was a T/C owned Custom Order Shop dedicated to selling factory custom built T/C firearms. I special ordered my 54 Hawken with a T/C factory {Round Ball Only engraved} barrel. That 30" barrel has a 1-66 twist. Its 100 yard accuracy with p/ Ball is second to none. Just saying if that helps your decision making.

This stuff, neets foot oil and paper over the powder is what my brother uses to get his .54 Renegade to shoot cloverleafs with maximum powder charges.
    But I don't think you're gonna find the good American made ticking any more. He laid in his supply about thirty years ago.
    His approach was to achieve the power level he wanted and to develop the load on that basis.
    No mallet.

Don't forget, it's not just rate of twist but also rifling depth. I like .010" to .012 deep grooves for PRB. Had a 50 cal cut 1/56 w .012 grooves. Shoots great.

Conical have a lot more surface area engaging the barrel and must spin at a higher rate but don't seal the deep rifling well.
    TC
    Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em.

He's the best, tell him what and how you want to use it and go with what he recommends. Just got a couple barrels back from him, he does great work.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Hawken .54 that I had a 36" Kelly barrel made for. Its 1:72 cut .010" deep. It shoots great all the way up to 125gr. Silver dollar groups at 75yds over 110gr of FFFg. One thing is certain with it. If I miss its my fault, not the rifles. I'm having a 1:79 twist barrel made in .54 for another rifle by The Gun Works now. I'm not sure if its how I load or what, but slower twist barrels seem to work best for me. Maybe its just what I like.....who knows.