Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a .30-30 small game round?

Greg,
    Thanks for the link to "the old Gentleman". I had never read it. What a great story. Well done Larry, well done.

Boolit Grand Master
    Regrettably, Larry has been banned. It was a great story and speaks volumes about the man and the boy he was.

Boolit Buddy
    sorry for not being on I will read through the comments and if I have any questions ill let yall know thanks for the leads

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Regrettably, Larry has been banned. It was a great story and speaks volumes about the man and the boy he was.
    Thank you Dverna for letting me know. I am sorry to hear that. I enjoyed so much of what Larry added to the forum. I will miss his input.
    SPJ

I have used the lee 113gr bullet and 5.5 gr. Unique for a squirrel load.

For jacks, coasting in boolits on the rainbow trajectory is manageable once knowing your hold over.
    My favorite was a '92 lever gun 357 with RCBS 162 grain SWC's and just enough fast burning powder in .38 cases to make them very accurate.
    A wabbit out across the pasture wasn't safe; he was a bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Good bullet suggestion! Search for "soup can" loads. Lots of folks call that 309-113 bullet that.
    The Lee "Soup Can" is a great light weight bullet for the 30-30 and others 30 caliber rifles. We loaded it down with quick pistol powders. We even did a special order 6 cavity version from Lee back in the day.

The Soup Can search should pull up lots of information relevant to the OPs needs.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 31-125D is dimensioned especially for reduced small game loads in .30 cal. rifles. I use it with 4 grains of Bullseye in the .30-30 and 5 grains in the .30-'06
    Accurate 31-155D is an option for those preferring a heavier bullet and is suitable for target work or small game and works well in most .30 cal. rifles with 6 grains of Bullseye

Attachment 162036Attachment 162037
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I had wondered where Larry had gone. He was a truly knowledgeable fellow and one of "the planks" of this board and it's predecessor. He could be combative, but that is common with most folks who really know their stuff and do not suffer fools lightly.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I really miss the posts from the subject matter experts. Larry posts on the CBA

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I had wondered where Larry had gone. He was a truly knowledgeable fellow and one of "the planks" of this board and it's predecessor. He could be combative, but that is common with most folks who really know their stuff and do not suffer fools lightly.
    Well said sir. I miss Larry a lot. He had helped me a bunch.

Boolit Master
    Round ball in soft lead with a fast pistol powder will be your new .22. I have been very impressed with round ball in my 45-70. Accurate and fast.

Boolit Master

I have read about sizing 00 buck in a .308/.309sizing die and making a projectile that looks like a football and lubing with LEE alox for reduced loads in all 30 cal cartridges.
    I have made some projectiles but have not loaded any.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this thread is from a while back. But I have pretty much perfected my small game load for my 30-30. This load is why I got into bullet casting in the first place. I wanted a small game load that clocked around 1200 fps due to it being pretty flat shooting out to 50 yards. My only other requirement is it had to be plain based.

I had some tweaking I had to do because I'm using a Marlin 336 with the micro grooves. I first tried trailboss. Trail boss is a great powder when it comes to velocity spreads. I commonly got standard deviations of 4 and spreads of 5fps or so in 5 shot groups. But the groups would not close under 1" at 50yards.

Then I switched to unique and it all came together. I think it has to do with the pressure curve of unique vs trailboss. So here's the load.

Marlin 336 Micro Groove
    Alloy: Clip on wheel weights
    Mold: Lyman 3118
    Weight as Cast: 119gr
    Sized: .311
    Trim Length to reloading manual spec
    Sellier and Bellot LR Primers
    COAL 2.440"
    Powder: Unique 5.5 grains
    Velocity: 1200 fps
    5 shot Groups: .6" to .7" at 50yard

A few more notes....

The COAL pushes the bullet into the case about .004" more.
    I tested S&B primers vs CCI and Winchester. I did not see a significant difference to warrant the extra price. Recent sale at cabelas had a brick of S&B primers at $21
    Sized to .311 tested better than unsized.
    Bullets were weight sorted, but I will test without sorting soon.
    6.5 grains @ 1330fps produced .8" groups
    4.1 grains @ 1010fps produced .8" groups

I'm really happy with this load. It's going to be my squirrel hunting load and very cheap to produce. The other reason I wanted this load is for my switch to a williams FP receiver sight. This will be my training load. I have already cast around 600 of these.
    Last edited by Dimner; 04-06-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Try a Lyman 311359 115 gr spire point with 7.5 grs of unique. I have a great time shooting them in an old savage 219 they are very accurate at close range.

Boolit Master
    REMINGTON ACCELERATOR.... If one could find them. .223 in a sabot. A friend gave me two but I never fired them

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    REMINGTON ACCELERATOR.... If one could find them. .223 in a sabot. A friend gave me two but I never fired them
    You can load your own also of these. Here is the link to get the sabot for the bullet.

http://www.ammo-one.com/SABOT.html
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

110gr varmint grenade & 11gr green dot
    Using 4895 you can get them up to 2600fps
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Why not get a 17 HMR? This 30-30 thing seems like a pain in the rear.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Why not get a 17 HMR? This 30-30 thing seems like a pain in the rear.
    Well, maybe because this is a forum about casting, shooting, and reloading? Maybe because it can be very accurate and economical? Possibly because it's more fun? I kind of like the challenge and the rewards of messing about with the gear. If I simply bought a box of throwaway brass, I miss all that time and enjoyment that you refer to as a "pain in the rear". That's why most of us are here,,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar