MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Question about black scum on top of alloy

Question about black scum on top of alloy

Restarted casting after a layoff and have a strange to me issue. Black scum (don't know what else to call it) forms on the alloy. I can get it off by fluxing and about 2 casts later it reappears. Looks as if I have about 15 Lyman ingots that are in trouble. Only thing new I can think of is I bought a candle to flux with. But in a previous life, candles are all I used.

This is WW maybe 15, 18 years old.

Any suggestions on what I have done?

thanks

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Buddy
    I had issues with that black or dark brown gritty crud before I discovered this wonderful site. My problem was that I had assumed paraffin wax was a flux that cleaned the lead and re-introduced lost alloy back into the lead. Today I clean my lead long before it makes it to my pot with sawdust and stir my smelting pot with wooden paint mixers. Then after each flux with sawdust I use beeswax to reduce the alloy back in.

Boolit Master

Perhaps not a good smelting when originally cast into ingots. Years ago I had similar problems when I just tossed the whole bucket of wheel weights into a large cast iron pot and melted; the rubber parts of the valve stems would turn into a black mess on the top of the melt. Some would inevitably be included in a cast ingot and reappear when melting ingots to cast boolits. Cure is to flux, skim, flux, skim, etc.. until it is all gone.

Anyway; My thoughts on what it might be.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 02-23-2016 at 11:08 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

black oxides from old lead will rise too. Sawdust or more commonly wood chip pet bedding for rodents, stirred really well with wooden stick followed by any old cheap candle wax. The sawdust and stirring will bring all the impurities to the top for skimming and the wax will drive the good alloy back in.

I do the happy dance if at a garage sale I score a pewter candle stick with a candle in it - that be a twofer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I tried the sawdust, wooden stick, candle wax. Really good for plugging up a bottom pour pot. Now I stir/scrape a LOT, then put a couple layers of paper towel on top and let it get the good stuff back into the mix. Had probably 1/2 # of ?, ran the pot up to 780F, paper on top. Just lifted off the charred paper, skim a little remaining grey crumbly dross, then back down to 725F for casting. Repeat when tossing the sprue back in. When I smelted WW there was a LOT of that black gunk on top and it keeps coming up. Sawdust works fine there, not in the casting pot.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Don't want black scum then
    don't get your wheel weights at Kanye's tire shop .. !!!
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sounds like poor ingot making back in the day?

I use pine saw dust in my re-melting pots to flux 3X. Never had "crud" in my casting pot because all my ingots are 110% clean and pure. I have not re-melted COWW's in over 2 years. Just not worth the mess and hassle, what with the shortage of Pb ones and the dominance of Zn and Fe weights in every batch. We are saving tons of $$ by casting our own, so don't worry about spending a little money on good clean lead alloys and forget the "free" buckets of dirty old COWW's.

I only use beeswax in my casting pots to REDUCE the wanted metals back in, and skim off the teeny bit of black stuff left by the wax. Clean shiny mirror surface every time! Sawdust in your casting pot will definitely (somehow!) get down in your pour spout and cause problems down the road.

banger

The sawdust / wood chips and wooden stick was definitely meant for the smelting pot not the casting pot. I almost never take stuff direct from scrap to casting. Maybe bar or solid wire solder. Otherwise it generally goes through the smelting pot to nice clean ingots first. I ladle cast so no bottom pour to clog and I still do it that way because I don't want "gunk" in my casting pot.

Bucket of dirty nasty WW's makes me Do the happy dance! Banger is just weird don't you know.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat