Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 58 cal Huntsman worth having?

58 cal Huntsman worth having?

I saw one on the rack at a local pawn shop for $100, are they worth having if not rusted out? Designed for patched round balls, I would assume? I think they used either #11 or musket caps depending on when made, didn't get a look at this one to determine how it is set up.

Thanks!
    -Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I had one 35 yrs ago. It was the model with the push in breechplug. Got it "on sale" - likely when rumors surfaced over "breechplug through the head on a hangfire". On the 3rd shot the action would open from the recoil (wakes you up).

It was very accurate with a 58 minnie. I heard later they went to a threaded breechplug. Telescopic ramrod was a pain in the a$$

Perm-Banned
    i couldnt tell you if they are good or bad. however if you long after that type of muzzle loader why not save your pennies and someday have smokeless muzzle loader inc. build you a better one just like it on a used H and R shot gun action. i did that a few years ago for my son on a old H and R 10 gauge action i had. they use douglas barrels and even put scope mounts on it. they use a 50 cal 1/32 twist douglas barrel which is perfect for a sabot and a 250 grain .451 pistol bullet. we can get that thing going 22 hundred ft per sec. it also shoots a 535 grain pp bullet very well also. they also build them on thompson single shot pistol rifle combo actions.that 10 gauge sat around for years then their it is, a really good inline muzzle loader. breech plug uses a shot gun primer and is easily removed for cleaning. i had a really good old tv screen 9 power scope that i had rebuilt to new and that is on their also. my son will need no other muzzle loader to hunt with.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one back in the 70's also with the push in breech plug. The only trouble I had with mine was that it tended to foul the breech face so that the barrel would get stiff on closing due to blowback fouling from the nipple. I used a chainsaw file and put a notch in the barrel and breech plug to vent any blowback and no more problem.

Mine was accurate with round ball or Minie and took some awfully heavy charges. I am embarrassed to say that I had made a measure that was... well... not the size I thought it was so when I was challenged to try a heavy charge it was on the order of 200+ grains under a 500 gr. Minie. The action started to open on that one and the muzzle flash was spectacular to say the least. The recoil about half spun me around too so I figured maybe I over did it and rechecked my measure... Oops!

While the gun performed just fine I really didn't like the telescopic ramrod and it just wasn't traditional so I got rid of it in the end.

On the up side it was affordable, accurate, easy to clean and seemingly indestructible. If you want a dependable shooter and the bore is good I'd say go for it.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I think one of the design features that may have been "improved" in those was the action vent. As far as experience with one?? They are what they are- a basic H&R shotgun design turned into an inline muzzleloader of the 70s. At the time, a cheap alternative to a traditional side hammer.

The only one I was around was from the mid 70s. An acquaintance had one he insisted on loading with a small charge of Bullseye powder under a Minié. I kept telling him a 60-70 gr charge of BP would have been more efficient with no risk and one small booboo and Kaboom. But he was like so many in this sport- smarter than everyone else and hard of hearing (listening). Miraculously, I don't think he ever blew it up. I think he viewed himself a Renaissance man . He was from the Grants area- familiar to the OP I'm certain. Quite a few deer back then and building a very large trophy elk herd at the time- all of course having nothing to do with the H&R ML.

Banned
    great little rifles! I had the big bore in 58cal, it was a load of fun and handled great.

For only $100, I woulda got a lot closer look at it - in my living room........ .

Boolit Master

Well worth $100 bucks if the bore is good.

The collapsible ram rod alone can bring $150 on the bay

I've got one of the .58 cal. with the threaded breech plug. I've shot it with prb and Minie Bullets. The Minie's don't shoot that great because they are a little undersized. Need some fatter ones. I'd probably buy that one for $100.00
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Mold
    I have had one for about 10 years. Some good advice above. Two good tricks not mentioned, this was the design that put the original H&R out of business. The redesign was to put a roll pin in the bottom lug like the shotguns used to actuate the ejector. What this did was limit how far the action opened so if it did open upon firing the breech plug would be prevented from ejecting as it hit the breech face. The second is to get a 209 adapter from Warren Custom Outdoors.

I just use it at the range with 70 grains of Triple 7 and patched round ball. I get clover leafs at 50 yards. After 75 yards accuracy drops off as the ball drops quickly after that. I love shooting it but it shoots so well that I am so satisfied after a dozen or twenty shots, then put it away for another couple of years. The bore is pristine and the vintage Huntsman frame I use for all my H&R blackpowder barrels from that era has beautiful case hardening colors. It is very light making it a great hunting carry gun but has limited range. Get it if you can. You won't be sorry.

OK, you guys have nearly convinced me. Guess I'll have to swing by there and see if they still have it. Thanks for the tips!

-Nobade

Boolit Master

for a HUNDRED? yeah, it would be in my living room. Shooting LEE casts, or PRB's, whatever it liked.

Nobade, if it has the more modern breech plug, here's how you can save yourself some cash when shooting:

The plastic primer holders are junk. Find you some 300 WSM brass and cut them to .33 inches long, or whatever length they need to be. Seat some LR or LRM primers. You now have brass primer carriers that use primers you keep on the bench anyways.

Works like a champ with any powder. Maybe even BH209. But definitely anything under the sun that is not BH209.

That, and using a real range rod, fixes 99.9% of that gun. For a hundred bucks? I'd take that deal.

Boolit Master
    I got the 25acp conversion and love! Very accurate and simple to load.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

When I had my 50 cal, I simply couldn't find any of the conversions, 209 or 25 acp. Maybe an ebay or used on go2gbo thing?

Anyways, if it uses the orange primer carriers, 300 WSM brass will fit perfectly. Just cut to .33 long (ish) then polish till the breech closes when it's in place.

I still keep one, it engages a lyman 45 die perfectly from the bottom (but not the plunger) for die removal.

Of course, if my 50 cal huntsman was a 58 cal huntsman, especially if it shot roundballs well, I would still have it in the safe!