Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It depends on the raw material used. They both produce high quality checks.
    The material I plan to use is .010" copper. Alloy is 110 annealed. These will be gas checks for 155gr super sonic 300AAC. Should I consider one over the other?

Banned

I assume you're talking about a gas check shank mold? Will that material work? Yes.

But performance depends on a lot of variables just as with everything in cast shooting.

I always suggest -try before you buy- before investing in a large quantity purchase of metals.

In Remembrance

The ONLY system we use is Free Chex III from Charlie Darnell: http://www.freechex.net/

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    Has anyone used both? Which worked best for you? I'm just getting into loading cast with GC and was thinking about getting a checkmaker of some sort and don't really know which way to go. Thanks for any help.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I can attest to the fact that patmarlins check making dies work without all the additional problems.

Will see in three months when you had a chance to abuse his.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailhunter View Post
    I can attest to the fact that patmarlins check making dies work without all the additional problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Will see in three months when you had a chance to abuse his.
    We will see if the PM checkmaker can last 300 checks worth of abuse. Thats almost funny. If a tool cant take it, it isnt my fault.

The minions strike again. Sad really.

Banned

Wow... lol

I'm impressed to see someone so passionate about gas checks, to even go as far to ad foley gunshot background sound effects every time the Checkmaker™ is fired.... Hahahhaaa

Seriously folks. This ford vs chev controversy that has gone on here ever since I started Patmarlins, way back in 2008- even to the point of continuos hostility and is just pathetic.

If you like Charlie's dies, buy his. If you like mine, buy mine. Speed has never been my focus. Range results with one holer cast groups over and over by shooters for years from members here and cast shooters world wide, not to mention my dies winning in competition championships has been.

For you newcomers, just a small example of those tests and range results can be found on my website. Haven't had time to post the numerous more shooters have sent me. I've been to busy in the shop. Getting dies out the door.

So really- just get out and shoot. Please.

Pat ...

The main thing i've discovered that is most important about making my own checks is not who's tool i'm using, but the ability to make a check that equals or surpasses the accuracy of Hornady commercial checks.

To me picking which tool to use comes down to what i'll use to make them with...my reloading press(Pat's) or an arbor press(Charlie's).

The main thing after that is to find out through range testing which thickness and material works best for the die and the accuracy in your rifle or handgun. Sometimes this takes some trial and error, but is well worth the effort in accuracy gain once the best combination is found.

I bang my checks out one at a time on one of Charlies original hammer tools in .35 cal. Granted it's a bit slow, but i can make checks at home or on the road, or in hunting camp. Lol all i need is a hard surface and my rubber hammer.

I do like Charlie's tools and my homeade al. checks have proven more accurate than anything i can buy and size on tight and don't come off.
    Even at 2600 fps. in a 35 whelen.

Having said that about using Charlies tools, which i KNOW to be precision made, i wouldn't hesitate to order from Pat if i decide to punch them out on my reloading press. I'm quite sure i would be making precision checks in no time with his too.

Both Pat an Charlie have made it possible for a lot of folks(me included) to have checks available to them through the crunch times when you couldn't find Hornady and Lymans anywhere!
    Being able to make my own and experiment has also taught me one size doesn't fit all and i now look at the check thickness and material as just as important a component to the load as the powder choice, seating depth, etc.

I for one am glad both Charlie and Pat are keeping us supplied with check making tools.
    Pat's tool is a 2 stage process that works on your reloading press.Charlie's tool makes the check in one pass on an arbor press.
    Pick your poison and start cranking out your own checks.!!

Love Life
    I've owned gas check making tools from both manufacturers. I much preferred the Freechex. Not because Pat Marlin's were bad, but the Freechex was faster and eliminated a step. At the end of it all I sold both models and just buy Hornady checks. It's worth the money to save me that time making checks.

Pick your poison, as both models made round things that squish to bullet shanks quite nicely.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the true comparison for the FreeChex and Marlins tool not a FreeChex III. It's an idea used in many places and found on youtube in Europe too! tj

https://youtu.be/fab6JeE-FNs
    Last edited by tjones; 12-08-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    So I gather the difference is Marlins set up uses a standard reloading press, the other a drill press. Have both so not really an issue. But I like the idea of being able to put a gas check on PB bullets, I have been wanting a NOE mold in GC for my Mosin, but has not had any in stock forever, could just put checks on the one I already have this way. Not really concerned about how fast, as I really don;t go thru that many checks anyways, I would prefer quality over quantity, so looks like Marlins set up is the way to go.
    Buy what you find meets your needs. I use Pat's PB and regular GC makers. Both work great. I bought a 1"x3" sheet of aluminum roof sheet for next to nothing and made a zillion regular GC's for my .357mag mold. In no time at all I have more GC's than I will use in the next two years. I also use his PB GC maker. I use pop and beer cans for the source of metal ( POP = Soda Cans in US talk). I cut up my cans and make GC's everting I cast and have to wait for the melt to ...well melt. I have a margarine container full if GC's and another half full after loading 500 rounds of 9MM and a couple thousand .38spl cartridges. I shoot a lot of 9MM and 38spl and stay ahead of the game using this method.

For me Pat's system meets my needs. The GC's produced work extremely well. I am a satisfied customer and Pat's service is very good.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Seems to me either way you get to make checks, and that both have a solid reputation. As with all things reloading it is about saving money right? Well either way you buy a die, and some metal that has a price. You invest some time and you get X number of gas checks. Now purchasing those gas checks has a known cost, your time has some value (known only to you... or your wife, they always seem to know when you are wasting valuable time) So it all boils down to how many rounds you are going to be "forced" to go out and shoot to reach payback. And what molds you might need to purchase vs using PB gas checks.

FreeChex cost a bit more, you need a arbor press, or drill press. If you have one fine, if not HF with a 20% off coupon call it $50. Not big money but something, call it 1,500 gas checks worth. Some will even prefer having a piece of equipment dedicated to a single task. Others will consider using the same reloading press as the load with to make checks an advantage.

If you already have a mold with GC shank makes some difference in payback as opposed to having to buy a GC mold, when compared to having a PB mold you like and buying a PM die to do plain base gas checks. Mold prices vary but you know what you have or will have to buy, factor that cost if any in gas checks. For a Lee DC mold maybe 500 gas checks for a 5 cavity NOE maybe more like 4,000 gas checks. Have one you can use then could be 0 gas checks.

Then there is your time, and that depends on how many of the little suckers your going to make and how frequently. How long you figure 1000 .303 British gas checks will last? VS 1000 for your .308? For some reason people with 40's seem to burn through ammo, maybe because it is fun to shoot? Most would find 1000 gas checks for .357 would last longer than 1000 for their .40 would. The PM checkmakers are less expensive but will not generally be as fast produce a given amount of gas checks. The more you produce the faster the payback in time is from more rapid production.

You might have one of those GC/PB mixed cavity molds and want to go with PM dies so you can use same design and process to make checks for both types. I tend to value to having the same tool and process when possible for my production work. So if I was buying PM's dies for plain base I would be more inclined to purchase the same make of tool for gas check shank bullets. Others may feel less strongly about using different process and would be fine with one die and process for PB and a different one for GC or higher volume production. See that is the nice thing, the tools in question have slightly different focus and approach which gives us the consumer good choices to meet our individual needs.

So one sort of needs to assess what one wants to accomplish or needs and pick the right tool. After all we are not talking about a choice between warm beer and cold soft drink. More of an ale or pilsner choice.

Better? That sort of sounds like the argument about .38 special in a classic reliable revolver vs 9mm in some bottom feeding piece of tupperware? All boils down to my choice is right! ..... for me anyway.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 12-12-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Roger: It's not purely a factor of cost saving. There is also the home brewed, not reliant on the industry aspect.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Roger: It's not purely a factor of cost saving. There is also the home brewed, not reliant on the industry aspect.
    Exactly why I started making my own. Gas checks have disappeared off the shelves just like every other component. They will disappear in the future. The less I have to buy the better. I know I spent more money on the tooling than I will ever recoup. But I happen to like buying and using tools.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    That was why the purple font color. Color used for tongue in cheek or sarcastic statements.

In reality one could probably buy around 4,000 GC's for what it costs to set up and start making those gas checks. The first GC cost at least $100 possibly more. Around 4k GC made they start getting "cheaper" than store bought. Knowing the alum or copper stock can make whatever I have dies for? That has real value too.

Yes we make ammo for less but I doubt many of us actually save any money for many years, too many interesting molds or gizmos to buy and try. If one shoots enough the payoff is quicker. But I know there are cheap steel case that I can buy for prices that compete with reloaded on price for at least a couple of calibers. Where they can't compete is in knowing they are only out of stock until I make more, and in exactly the weight and style I know works well for my use.

I do try to think in terms of payback time when making a comparison over what item to purchase. Thinking in terms of payback allows me to evaluate what I get for additional cost or what I give up to save money. But often the motivation for the research is as you say independence and the satisfaction of doing for myself. That and knowing I'm not at the mercy of the market or congress. Both which sometimes get very competitive for who can be the more foolish.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Bustin out a bunch of checks with the PatMarlins checkmaker. Nice, no learning curve, just great checks. Easy to clean up. No special tools or holders needed. It really is nice.
    Last edited by Tailhunter; 12-13-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Excellent; glad you got it worked out and settled on Pat's equipment.

I ordered 1000 copper gas checks from Sage Outdoors for 30 caliber to get me started on my cast 300AAC loads. Wow do they go on nice to my Lee C312-155-2R cast boolits using the Lee sizing die! I read somewhere that Sage uses Patmarlin's gas check makers and since this thread seems to make it sort of a toss up between the two primary manufacturers, I went with Patmarlin's for my maker. I don't think I will mind the two steps. I want tight fitting and most accurate shooting. I can't wait to see if home made copper gas checks can turn out as nice as the Sage are working.

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    I ordered 1000 copper gas checks from Sage Outdoors for 30 caliber to get me started on my cast 300AAC loads. Wow do they go on nice to my Lee C312-155-2R cast boolits using the Lee sizing die! I read somewhere that Sage uses Patmarlin's gas check makers and since this thread seems to make it sort of a toss up between the two primary manufacturers, I went with Patmarlin's for my maker. I don't think I will mind the two steps. I want tight fitting and most accurate shooting. I can't wait to see if home made copper gas checks can turn out as nice as the Sage are working.
    I think Sage's uses Charlies tools lol. I'm sure you'll be just fine with Pat's though. They both make checks that work.