WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog owners - new danger to your 4 footed friends

Dog owners - new danger to your 4 footed friends

Veterinarians are warning that a sugar substitute in certain brands of peanut butter is highly toxic to dogs.

Dr. Bryan Langlois, medical director at the Pet Pantry of Lancaster County, said the sweetener called xylitol can cause both liver damage as well as dangerous drops in a dog’s blood sugar level.

“I am currently aware of only three brands that are using xylitol in their peanut butter,” Langlois said in a statement. “They are Nuts’ n More, P28, and Nutty by Nature. So far, it appears these brands are only found in health food stores and are intended for people who are more into the intense exercise and body building regimens.”

Langlois urged pet owners to check the label of the peanut butter they buy in case the company changes ingredients.

He said xylitol is perfectly safe for humans.

In dogs, signs of the toxicity can include weakness, stumbling, tremors, and even seizures if their blood sugar drops low enough.

added:

These are the 5 companies who sell specialty peanut butters with xylitol in it: (1) Go Nuts, Co., (2) Hank's Protein Plus Peanut Butter, (3) Krush Nutrition, (4) Nuts 'N More, and (5) P28, found mostly in health food stores and online. Big name brands like Jif do not have xylitol in them.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thanks for the heads up on this. My girlfriend has a little dog that is nuts for anything with peanut butter in it or on it lol.

Boolit Grand Master

I will pass that on to the wife. Thanks

In Remembrance
    Just curious, do many folks actually feed peanut butter to your dogs. I reckon quite a few do for this to even be discovered.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up.when I make a PBJ in the evening I make my girls a peanutbutter . As a treat .

Boolit Grand Master

Dog owners - new danger to your 4 footed friends

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Just curious, do many folks actually feed peanut butter to your dogs. I reckon quite a few do for this to even be discovered.
    Only time mine gets it as at the Vets. They give it to me on a stick to distract him while they do their testing. They recommend it as a safe treat for dogs. The brand we have is safe but I still don't give him any. Thanks for the heads up about this.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The wife uses it when she has to give them a pill and she gives them the container when it empty.

Thanks for the heads up! We use organic PB, but I'll pass the word along to my friends.

My understanding is that Xylitol is a natural sweetener used by many people who want to get away from the heavily processed sugars. I haven't really ever seen it at any large stores (Walmart, Meijer etc) but it can be found in natural food stores. Not only can it be found in peanut butter, but also basically anything else that would be sweet, as well as in a granular form to be used in baking in place of sugar. Typically anything with Xylitol is going to be more expensive than your average jar of peanut butter or box of cookies.

Boolit Master
    Artful,
    Not that I feed our four-legged family member any peanut butter, many thanks for the 'xylitol' warning. I am sure to pass to on to other dog owners.

Grateful Regards,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Note that not many companies mark their product as using it. Evidently it takes major transfusion to save the pet. Supposedly worse than chocolate.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    I guess that if you stick with Jif or Skippy, you are doing it right ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I used the organic cookies with skippy on them to dose my old dog with med's
    - Fish Oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, and Aspirin - it lubed his joints and eased his pains.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

My lab Misty would beg for it, I would put some on a finger then wipe it on the roof of her mouth. She would spend 20 minutes licking it off! If I made a peanut butter sandwich I got the share that stare...

Boolit Master

I use peanut butter when I have to give my dog a pill. I put peanut butter on the end of my RH middle finger and stick the pill to it. I hold her jaw open with my left hand and put the pill down her throat. Works great! If you have to give a dog any gel capsule drugs you can just dampen your finger with saliva and stick the capsule to it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Huh, I'll feed it to the wife and see what happens to her and save the dog!!! *****
    Charlie

Our vet has this posted with a display of things that have it in it. She said that a dog eating a piece of gum was enough to kill them.

Peanut butter should only have two ingredients, peanuts and salt!

Moderator Emeritus

Artful, Thank You for the Heads Up! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Good info to have Thank you
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Bub
    Chocolate can be dangerous as well