WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with people!!

Boolit Grand Master

Out here in Az. we have alot of public land to hunt on but the problem is the "hunters" are running the game off the land with their quads and side by sides. Most are also slobs leaving trash everywhere.
    Where my sons and I hunt most of the time has been very good over the last 25 years. This year we only saw tracks from 4 elk that were headed off the mesa to a lower elevation area that has no hunitng on it. There were tracks from the quads & side by sides everywhere, even 1 1/2 miles off the road! They are riding around the berms of the water holes "looking for sign".
    I haven't seen a forest ranger or fish & game officer out there in probably 20 years. Really bad part of this is it is not the young hunters, seems to be the 45 year old and up doing this.
    I feel for the OPer and hope he can maintain a good relationship with the land owners and continue to hunt their land. Maybe a talk about this situation and what would the landowner allow him to do in this situation is in order. Since she is hard of hearing maybe she would let him call in the violators to authorities.

Moderator Emeritus

I keep toothpicks in the truck. Jam one down into the valve stem so it is forced open then break it off...

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Valve stems? Some of my relatives were know to take those out or just losses them just enough. Back in the good ole days anyhow.

we have many absentee land owners and folks that own land in many parts of the state. a call from the owner will drop the charges. but you will go to jail if caught on some ones land with out proof , some one calling leos that you are illegally hunting will start the ball rolling.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to hunt with a group of friends and we had sole permission to be on this older ladies farm. I am sitting at the base of a tree where deer have been hopping the fence at the top of a hill when I hear a round hit the tree above my head. Where we hunt is shotgun slug only and this was a rifle round. I dug it put of the tree and pocketed it. It was lunch time and I went back up to the farm yard to meet my friends and ran into a dude toting an AR-15 who did not have permission to be on the property. I ignored him, hopped in my truck, and promptly blocked him in. I get out and he points the AR at me and tells me to move my truck.

Just then John comes walking up behind him and tells him freeze police! John was a Minnesota Highway patrol officer who hunted with us every year. Guy starts spinning around and john takes him to the ground. I grabbed the duct tape and we trussed him up and called the game warden and sheriff(John was off duty). Game warden gets there and checks his truck, backstraps from 3 smaller deer and a few steaks, and some spike antlers. John also saw him pointing a gun at me so they not only nailed him for trespassing, poaching and use of a rifle in the slug only zone, they got him for use of a firearm in a threatening manner.

Of course the guy was from the Twin Cities, and he was one of the immigrant groups we had a lot of trouble with back in the 80's(Hmong) who ignored game laws and trespass laws. You may remember the case where one of them shot and killed a hunter in WI. He got a nice 3 year sentence for pointing the gun at me, and 1 more on top for poaching. Plus some very hefty fines, he lost his truck and rifles that were in it plus the AR he was carrying. Banned from hunting for life now! Also a felon so no guns. He tried to get permission to use a bow and the judge looked at him and told him never!

I have only hunted a couple times sense then. The old lady we leased the hunting rights from passed away and the new owners of the property wanted to hunt it themselves(and I don't blame them, it was a deer highway along the Redwood River). I refuse to hunt public land anymore, to many drunk idiots from the big city who don't have a clue what they are shooting at.

Boolit Master

And today I have noticed a lot of so-called hunters can't go off into the woods completely sober.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

When a cousin and I were hunting on his dad's farm we were told to get off as a neighbor had told this out of town hunter that he had permission to hunt on this land, forget the no hunting signs without permission. Well when we asked if he knew the family he said yes, funny look on his face when my cousin told him he didn't know him and leave or face being arrested, cousin's dad called the county cops who informed this neighbor that he had better be giving permission to hunt on only land he owned. that was 60 years ago, so this is nothing new just the individuals being more arrogant.
    talk about deer being wrong animals, we had cows shot, horse shot, goats shot, sheep shot and I think one pig all by city folk that thought they were deer.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Just drive around in a big town and you will see what is wrong with people. There is a cheap tool that unscrews the valve core. Few years ago a work buddy went to his property, was chased off by hunters. Took pics and turned them over to the state troopers and local sheriff, in case the LEO was a friend of theirs. Not your job to confront armed hunters.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

There are two types of peaple, ones that are part of the problem and the others like most of us, part of the solution.
    if i dont want to explain myself to a judge or have my mother find what i have done, i dont do it.
    It happens here to.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

In Remembrance

Back in the middle of the last century we had a trespass problem during hunting seasons. I`ve lost track of the number of times I threw off `relatives` of ours. Torn fences and broken gates (by trucks) and our being threatened by people that I didn`t know from Adam. Have you ever had the corn tassles shot off over your head by one of these fine `hunters` that you didn`t know they were working the standing corn field for pheasants from the opposite direction? Just amazing how our farms were suddenly owned by another neighbor that let these people on. Now I`m down to a small acreage, but still have this same old problem.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I always ask the landowners who is allowed to hunt the land. And what they want me to do if I find someone trespassing. I have never had one tell me to do nothing. They have all said to take down the vehicle information and call the local authorities.

There are many many spots I wish I could hunt. But I don't dare step foot on the property. I can't explain the actions of others. But it's because of them we have the game laws that we do. There is no excuse for shooting the wrong animal. I can forgive getting caught up in buck fever and shooting one that is one point away from being legal. I cannot forgive shooting the wrong species.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a game warden tell me of a group of hunters that came to Colorado, to hunt elk. Well, one of the guys shot what he thought was a "fine example" of an elk and took it to the check in station where this game warden was working. The DOW people checked in his "Elk" (all they while trying to keep from laughing) and let him drive back to his home state and show off his "Elk" (Mule).
    He said they tried to find out who the mule belonged to, but had no luck and no reports of one missing.
    Some farmers spray paint "horse" or "cow" on their respective livestock

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Some farmers spray paint "horse" or "cow" on their respective livestock
    I grew up in a small town where everybody pretty much knew everyone else, we knew where we couldn't hunt and hunted just about everywhere else. I asked one old timer why he painted "COW" on all of his livestock even the horses! His reply
    "aint no sense in confusing people, beside the horse can't read" !
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    I grew up in a small town where everybody pretty much knew everyone else, we knew where we couldn't hunt and hunted just about everywhere else. I asked one old timer why he painted "COW" on all of his livestock even the horses! His reply
    "aint no sense in confusing people, beside the horse can't read" !
    If the shooter can't differentiate between a mule/cow/horse and an elk/deer, why would anyone presume they are literate?

People have no respect for others property as a whole. They will trespass, violate the land and destroy property without any thought. I like to refer to these as "white trash" because those are the culprits in the areas I am in. Don't fool yourself however, this is nothing new and has been going on for a very long time. Population increases and lack of hunting land have just made it worse.

This is one reason why I want to be able to legally carry semi auto firearms with no magazine capacity restrictions out in the woods. You never know what you come across.

Boolit Buddy

Then you meet some good people. Last week, I let two hunt deer, from Wisconsin. I had to go to town ,cutting a tree in front of our church. The two hunters showed up to help. Middle of the day, but they took time out to help. Good folks.

Absolutely you meet good people, usually they are the majority. But those are not the problem and the cause for the concern.

I've held that people that don't have permission to be on a property and are there to take game are not hunters at all, they are law breakers, illegally taking game they have no right to take. They are armed trespassers not to be confused with sportsmen or sporting ladies either

Amazing!

Boolit Master
    Funny how it works, people only believe in property rights when its their property. Yours, well then those signs and fence don't mean anything. I had alot of trouble in KY, had a big chunk of land, and was surrounded by tons more. Hunting season only person within a 1/2 mile of me would be nobody. Then not to far away you hear a shot. Walked right by the 'no trespassing' sign, not mention over a fence, but had no idea it was anybodies land. Really so NOBODY owns it. The ginseng hunters had no respect for fences or property lines either.

And then you run into issues like my friend did, I was riding with him couple weeks ago when he stopped by to pay for his hunting lease. Local retired judge owned it. He goes out to go hunting, runs into another hunter. They went back and forth a bit, 'who are you and why are you here'? Come to find out the judge had leased the land twice, just forgot he had leased it to the first guy. Now its getting the money back for the second lease. Who wants to bet that will take a while as the guy swears up and down he didn't lease it to someone else. But both guys have cancelled checks.

Boolit Master
    I have a new land owner ,on the property next to my little slice of heaven. When he first stoped by a couple years ago the fella asked if I would mind if he set a stand and set in the corner on my side when he came over , well of course it did not bother me .i thought it was the neighborly thing to do . So it's my fault to start with and I'll have to fix it.Well it seems he rents out hunting trips to people from the city and implies that thay can hunt my farm as well .yep it's going to be a problem . There are at least a dozen stands hanging around my farm. Their goes the neighborhood.