Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger#3 .45-70

Boolit Buddy

ruger#3 .45-70

hi, i just received a ruger #3 .45-70 off of gunbroker. what would be the best way to attach the front swivel? a standard wood screw stud? Or is there a piece that attaches to the barrel band? advise? irishtoo

IIRC, Uncle Mike's makes a front QD stud for Rugers with the forend barrel band, that slips between the ends of the forend barrel band.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Mikes-...YAAOSwFnFWAjW9

To install, just remove the screw from the forend barrel band with a cartridge rim, file the INSIDE of both sides until the band can be tightened enough to securely grip both the FE & the bbl.

The rear QD stud is basically a wood screw, that should be pre-drilled for the diameter of the screw thread (to prevent stock damage), and not for the outside diameter of the screw threads (the hole will not be small enough for the wood screw's thread's to chew into).

Last edited by pietro; 10-21-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Warning - if you load up your #3 45-70 to maximum pressures and your hand is near the band/sling attachment, you'll be sorry as the recoil can cause damage to your hand.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Had one of those in the early 70's.
    My shoulder still hurts when I think about it.

Yeah, traded down to 375 Big Bore version - much more pleasant.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Just fold the base forward, then the front band can do the same damage.

For these rifles I like a clean pair of buck skin gloves to protect my hand and improve my grip on the rifle.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Had one of those once upon a time...came to me with a partial box of Remington factory ammo (300 gr. JHPs - 6 empties, 14 loaded rounds). When I traded it off, that same box of Remingtons...less four or five loaded rounds...went with it. Much as I enjoy shooting my other single-shot Rugers, I've never regretted seeing that one go down the road.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I recently sold a #3 45/70 after I lost most of the vision in my right eye. I consider them one of the most useful woods rifles, EVER! You do not have to run that rifle "wide open". As issued with high velocity loads IS a prescription for HURT! However, a 340-350 gr bullet at 1300-1400 fps will go through most any big game animal end for end at 100 yards. Use the right alloy, and DRT! I replaced that "killer" carbine style buttplate with a GOOD recoil pad (shortened the stock to my preference with the thicker recoil pad) and it was dern near comfortable to shoot with reasonable loads. It's light weight was a pleasure to carry. I sold it to a good friend and he dropped off some pork chops from a large wild hog he recently harvested. Using the proper bullet and load, a 45/70 is a meat collecting tool, first rate!

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    i have put 150 rounds of .45-70 thru it already. off a bench, it was not a monster. BUT im shooting my reloads a .460-315 gr boolit over 15 gr unique. im guessing 1300 fps. ill be carrying it this upcoming pa bear season. irishtoo

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A Number 3 in .30 WCF would be HOT.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

After my No.3 .375 Winchester was rechambered to H&H it kinda pulled rib muscles.
    Now it's rebarreled since about 35 years ago.

Boolit Master
    I have a #3 in 45/70. Who does rebarrelling on this action?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

I have gone through a few #3s and the one in 45-70 I remember quite well for it's recoil. Most of them were changed to a longer octagon barrel which took out a little of the recoil and all were sold off when money was tight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I have a #3 in 45/70. Who does rebarrelling on this action?
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Lots of folks. Anything specific you have in mind?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by irishtoo View Post
    hi, i just received a ruger #3 .45-70 off of gunbroker. what would be the best way to attach the front swivel? a standard wood screw stud? Or is there a piece that attaches to the barrel band? advise? irishtoo
    Was this the one that was up with no reserve? I was eyeballing it, thinking about bidding when someone jumped on the "buy it now" button.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    Was this the one that was up with no reserve? I was eyeballing it, thinking about bidding when someone jumped on the "buy it now" button.
    Snooze you loose!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    yeah, that sounds like the one. sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by irishtoo View Post
    yeah, that sounds like the one. sorry.
    Enjoy.

OH changed their hunting laws and we can now hunt with rifles, straight walled cartridges only. Was hoping to pick that up for gun season even though I couldn't really afford it right now. Wound up putting a semi buckhorn on my rolling block and I'll use that. It's a bit heavy but that seems to be a trend with me. My bow's an old, HEAVY Oneida, my tree stand's old and heavy, I'm old and heavy. Figured I'd use an old heavy rifle to round things out, maybe finally get an old, heavy deer.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    Enjoy.

OH changed their hunting laws and we can now hunt with rifles, straight walled cartridges only. Was hoping to pick that up for gun season even though I couldn't really afford it right now. Wound up putting a semi buckhorn on my rolling block and I'll use that. It's a bit heavy but that seems to be a trend with me. My bow's an old, HEAVY Oneida, my tree stand's old and heavy, I'm old and heavy. Figured I'd use an old heavy rifle to round things out, maybe finally get an old, heavy deer.
    Sounds real Heavy!

Perm-Banned
    put a dead mule in the butt stock and then on top of that put a nice slip on padded recoil pad. thats what those two are made for, recoil reduction.