RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Dillon 1000 Value?

Boolit Buddy

Dillon 1000 Value?

I have an opportunity to buy a Dillon 1000. What is a fair value for these machines? Did they all come with an automatic case feeder and collator?

A dillon 1050? New they are around $1700. We need more information. What all does it come with?
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
    A dillon 1050? New they are around $1700. We need more information. What all does it come with?
    No, not the 1050 but the earlier 1000. I believe they were originally priced at about $3000, one of the reasons that apparently they didn't sell very well.

It would depend on what shape it is in and what all comes with it.

The RL-1000 was Dillon's first press, before that he just modified Stars. Believe it or not they still have some parts for them but the ones you would likely need if anything is broken would not be available anymore.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I'd love to have a 1000!

I think they were "upgraded" to the 1050, for the same reason the 300 was upgraded to the 450!

Not enough (if any?) profit margin!!!

I think if the 1000 or 300 needs parts then time to get on the lathe/mill!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

The RL-1050 and super 1050 have much more in common than the RL-1000 to either.

Boolit Grand Master

Ones in need of work go for as low $500 and nice ones go for more than new 1050's. A lot depends on how many shell plates and extra parts come with it.

Yes they came with a case feeder but not a bullet collator.

I have one but no pics handy. Not mine but pics here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=122109

Couple of nice ones for sale here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...59#post3413859
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-31-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the lead and info. on the Dillon 1000. I was thinking of replacing one of my XL650s with the 1000, not for any production gains but for something different. Any downside to this thinking?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    Thanks for the lead and info. on the Dillon 1000. I was thinking of replacing one of my XL650s with the 1000, not for any production gains but for something different. Any downside to this thinking?
    Hi,
    Yes, support and parts will be the problem!

Got a problem with a 650? Your just a phone call away from help, advice parts, rebuild?

With the 1000?

Not so much!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Say you sell "one" of your 650's for a Dillon 1000 and you cant find parts or decide that you just dont like it.

Whats the worst that could happen?

You sell it and buy another 650. They are in current production and be had with as little a phone call to Dillon.

As far as what the value is on a 1000? The last two I saw @ auction sold for around $1,500 That maybe high or low it just depends on what you "want".

As long as you find a solid machine with all the nessary conversions parts you need, then you probably wont need the Hot line to Dillon for unlimited free spare parts or a $50 complete machine rebuild sent back to you NIB.

Rest assured you wont be the first one to have sold modern current production Dillon equipment to aquire a 1000.

The last RL1050 I bought was $800 with two conversions and a brand new super 1050 ready to load one caliber is $1700. Wouldn't catch me spending $1500 for an RL-1000 unless it was just a desire to "complete the set".

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the press mentioned at the top of this thread and so far I'm impressed with its construction. Everything seems to work but the case feeder hangs up occasionally on the some of the pins radiating from the rotating plate. It needs lubrication and some cleaning but all of the parts seem to be there. I'm definitely going to have fun with this one. I read somewhere that some parts are made of stainless steel. Anyone know which ones? Is there a manual available somewhere for this?

Contact Dillon for the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    I received the manual for the RL1000 a day after requesting it from Dillon. Impressive service for a machine that's been out of production for over a decade. Apparently I have one of the later builds with a Serial Number of 957. FYI - I didn't purchase my machine from Littleton Shot but they still have a few RL1000s for sale including spare parts. The 1000 is built like no other reloader in my collection. Even the case feeder housing is a heavy cast piece. The overall machine doesn't have the mass of steel and bulk of my Hollywood Automatic's but feels just as solid and yet smoother in operation. The operation of the press also feels different than the XL-650. I don't know yet if this is a good thing but the 1000 is so well leveraged that you can hardly feel the primers inserted like you do with the 650. The shell plate is also more stable than the 650 and is locked in place by a pin protruding down from the die head, a feature I haven't seen with other presses other than one of the new offerings by RCBS. Overall I don't see the 1000 as being all that innovative or interesting in design but the build quality is excellent. It's a keeper.

the dowel pins in the tool head that go through the shell plate are features shared on the RL and Super 1050's. They also prime while everything else is going on so you can feel it like you can the 650 where priming happens by itself and all other operations are at the opposite end of the stroke (also why primer depth is set with an Allen wrench vs feel).

What did you pay for it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    ...What did you pay for it?
    I paid $800 for it, which included a .45 ACP die set and some other goodies. The only thing missing is a shell retaining tab that mounts on the primer tube base. If I can't find one it shouldn't be hard to fabricate it myself. An interesting device included with the press was an optical sensor, which was apparently used with a not included automatic bullet feeder. It would be interesting to see a picture of one.
    Last edited by beeser; 11-08-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I'd pay that for one complete in good shape, but $1500?

Can't see it, as I don't shoot as much as I used to!

Boolit Buddy

beeser,

You need a couple of STAR Reloaders for your collection... Considered the best made early progressive loaders.. Have 5 of the STAR Universal Reloaders (no, they are not for sale)
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Why do you guys always tease me with toys, I mean antiques toys, I mean reloading equipment I want and can't afford?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starreloader View Post
    beeser,

You need a couple of STAR Reloaders for your collection... Considered the best made early progressive loaders.. Have 5 of the STAR Universal Reloaders (no, they are not for sale)
    Already have one with a Hulme case feeder, which is currently being set up for .32 S&W. Yes, the Star Universal is a nice machine with a rich history. Being a resident of San Diego for many years it's probably the reason I got into collecting vintage reloaders. It was one of my firsts. I still find it interesting that most of the reloaders have roots in SoCal.