Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What should you call REAL black powder?

I stopped by a local store looking for Goex and I got a half hour lecture on why he doesn't carry it any more.....his insurance goes up for having an explosive in his store, and he can only have 25 lbs in his store at one time. He also stated that he just didn't sell enough to keep it in his store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    I stopped by a local store looking for Goex and I got a half hour lecture on why he doesn't carry it any more.....his insurance goes up for having an explosive in his store, and he can only have 25 lbs in his store at one time. He also stated that he just didn't sell enough to keep it in his store.

All very good reasons and we simply can't blame the store owners for not stocking it, most probably would lose money by doing so because it would not be profitable enough to even cover the extra expense of satisfying the law and the insurance companies. This leaves either buying at the few stores that do sell and paying the high prices (IF we can even find such a store) or having it delivered. Even with a 5 lb minimum it's a lot easier and cheaper than buying from a store, unless a person only shoots occasionally or is shooting a very small caliber then 5 lbs is not going to go very far and it just makes a lot of sense to order the stuff delivered.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

I'm still headed toward making it myself. In my area raw materials are readily available in quantity. I've read articles written by pyrotechnic technicians that tell not only how to make it but how to make it in the same grades safely. Have also seen test results of these hand made powders up against the store bought that show it is possible to learn how to make as good as, if not better powder, yourself. Anyway, this is one reason I got into this hobby in the first place. Learning how to do it myself, the old fashion way. I wonder how many of the old time guys actually made their own powder? You know the store wasn't just a couple of days ride from them.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Bub
    I shoot BPCR rifles 45-70 & have used Swiss 1&1/2 Goex & Old Eynsford powders. Granted the black is harder to get(there is only one place in Minnesota that retails it). I like to shoot black for enjoyment & in my own opinion I think it is just accurate as smokeless. Cleaning is a breeze but should be done when you are finished shooting. I have never tried Pyrodex but I do know it is easier to obtain than black. Black is an explosive & special requirements are required for storage. Which is why many dealers do not want to stock it.

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

See the judge out east of Alexandria.
    Fine fella. You'll like him.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I'm still headed toward making it myself. In my area raw materials are readily available in quantity. I've read articles written by pyrotechnic technicians that tell not only how to make it but how to make it in the same grades safely. Have also seen test results of these hand made powders up against the store bought that show it is possible to learn how to make as good as, if not better powder, yourself. Anyway, this is one reason I got into this hobby in the first place. Learning how to do it myself, the old fashion way. I wonder how many of the old time guys actually made their own powder? You know the store wasn't just a couple of days ride from them.
    Now you're talking! That's something that I too have been thinking about recently and there's a pretty good thread going on about just this very thing here on the site,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-black-powder

Sharpsman
    Stores base their sales on the ignorant!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
    Stores base their sales on the ignorant!!

Would you care to elaborate????????

Boolit Man
    Stay away from gunships,they have too many liabilities and idjits working in them. Google Cooeys in Hobbs New Mexico and buy a case. Split it with your be shooting friends.

issue with True "Black Powder" is not BATFE regulations on storage, because black powder storage
    is regulated by the Bureau of Mine Safety...

Smokeless powder is only a flammable solid, black powder is an explosive, and they have very different storage
    requirements and they CANNOT be stored together...

there are also strict regulations on the amounts that can be shipped or stored together...

AD

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    issue with True "Black Powder" is not BATFE regulations on storage, because black powder storage
    is regulated by the Bureau of Mine Safety...

Smokeless powder is only a flammable solid, black powder is an explosive, and they have very different storage
    requirements and they CANNOT be stored together...

there are also strict regulations on the amounts that can be shipped or stored together...

AD
    Well maybe not. See the link I show and start with page # 49.

~https://www.atf.gov/file/58741/download
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice