Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coming To Your Hometown: Syrian Refugees

Coming To Your Hometown: Syrian Refugees

It looks like our glorious leader has decided that the U.S. has to start taking in 100's of thousands of Middle East "refugees". I understand that it's a total mess in the Middle East, but if you import the entire third world because you feel bad for them, how long does it take before the U.S. is a third world country? We're half way there already. Also, they talk about "vetting" them for possible extremists and jihadists. Yea, right; like that'll work out real well. There's a map on the Zero Hedge article that shows the reception sites where they'll show up first. This is rather disturbing to me, how do you all feel about it?

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Joh.../20/id/692440/

http://www.zerohedge.com/print/513554
    Last edited by Prospector Howard; 09-20-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Let us start the conversation with accurate numbers. Since 2011 the US has taken in 1,500 Syrian refugees. The president proposes 10,000 over the next year or two. There have been others that have suggested between 20,000 and as many as 100,000 but these are not President Obama and it is a figure for ALL refugees, not just middle east or Syria.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0RJ0SN20150919

Getting from that to "100's of thousands" as stated seems dubious. As does connecting Syrian refugee issue with all migration from any less developed or 3rd world country. What about snagging the best and brightest from Brazil, Russia, India, and China so they work here rather than there. Many refugees are in fact the upper middle class, the doctors and business people, rather than the economic migrant crossing the southern boarder to work the fields.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 09-20-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    if you import the entire third world because you feel bad for them, how long does it take before the U.S. is a third world country?
    That has been the goal from the beginning.
    America has been too rich, too powerful for too long.
    Thanks to zero and a non congress to stop him, it is near competition.

Additional thoughts:
    It could be that zero wants to create his own Palestinian state right here in the good ol' US of A. where Muslims fight and kill Christians and the Christian get the blame for being intolerant to Muslims.
    Then after a period of time Christianity becomes a crime and . . . well you can see the future by watching the news about what's happening in Syria.
    Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Hickory; 09-21-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Let us start the conversation with accurate numbers. Since 2011 the US has taken in 1,500 Syrian refugees. The president proposes 10,000 over the next year or two. There have been others that have suggested between 20,000 and as many as 100,000 but these are not President Obama and it is a figure for ALL refugees, not just middle east or Syria.

Getting from that to "100's of thousands" as stated seems dubious. As does connecting Syrian refugee issue with all migration from any less developed or 3rd world country. What about snagging the best and brightest from Brazil, Russia, India, and China so they work here rather than there. Many refugees are in fact the upper middle class, the doctors and business people, rather than the economic migrant crossing the southern boarder to work the fields.
    Maybe you got some room next door to you for that "upper middle class".

Boolit Master
    Europe is awash with them,mainly able bodied males many hoping to get to the UK,some have died on unseaworthy boats or by accident trying to get onto Trains,Trucks etc.A lot are economic immigrants,some are genuine Refugees.Amongst them will be some Jehadists ordered to attack non believers.Quite Frankly this influx is causing political unrest throughout the regions affected.Water Cannon and Razor Wire is being used but nothing deters them.The biggest subject on most peoples minds is Immigration and the Lack of addressing the issue.This is coupled with the European open Borders policy introduced by Blair and his gang.Our infrastructure,Hospitals,Schools,Policing and public utilities are at stretching point.Whilst initialy these travellers where looked upon with sympathy people are realising the magnitude of the problem and wondering about the future of their offsprings.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

No doubt it's a mess for those people and understandable why they are fleeing various countries. And with no real way to defend themselves or their country only makes it worse ( the second amendment here is a wonderful thing) I'm certain most everyone feels empathy towards them....however.....a country can only absorb so many people a year depending on their current economy. With our current true rate of unemployment the last thing we need is more people looking for work.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Yes we have a few already in the Scranton / Wilkes Barre area. Some Church group brought them in this past week!
    Remind me not to go to their food festival fund raiser next year!!! We have a hard enough time dealing with the new folks coming here from Philadelphia & NJ trying to expand their business!!!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Much of the U.S. has a severe un or under-employment problem. Yes, lets bring more "best and brightest" workers here and further dilute and bloat our labor force. Lets start by letting one of them take your job and do it for 20% less money.
    Good luck supporting your family on your new job at Home Depot or Walmart.

Also remember that part of the taxes you pay go to support the babies being made by those refugees and illegal aliens who, knowing they can't pay for them, make those babies anyway. And, to add insult to injury, because that money is being taken from you under threat of imprisonment, you can't deduct it as a charitable contribution.

Before we spend another cent on the problems of other Countries or the people of other Countries, we need to fix our own economic and unemployment problems.

Not a cent, not a farthing to help anybody else, until the national debt in this Country is paid off and at least 95% of the labor force in our own Country is fully employed.

And, following that, no forced (taxed) charity.

As it is now, because the State and Federal governments tax the wage earners so they can turn around and give that money to those who want or need money, those who are in a position to provide help are at the mercy of those who want the help. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

If you choose to give some of what you earn to others, that's charity and a wonderful and Godly thing. If the government takes your earnings forcibly and gives those earnings to others, that's just plain extortion.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Deleted
    Last edited by kfarm; 11-14-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Ok smokey let us start with the basics.
    10,000 is a drop in the bucket to either the unemployment rate or labor competition. You are I'm sure aware but others may not be that there are 300,300,000 Americans so for either unemployment (assuming none got work) or labor competition (assuming all worked) they would be a rounding error.

Can't have it both ways. They are bad because they leach off of welfare OR they are bad because they take jobs. Pick one because complaining about both makes no sense.

Smart people working hard tend to enhance the economy, they generate economic growth, having worked with idiots I can tell you they hurt everyone's productivity. The United States has always benefitted from getting the best from other countries to come here to make their fortune. We all gain if our country has the best engineers and scientists and entrepreneurs working here. China can graduate a butt load of engineers but if all the other engineers want to come here the US will have the better engineering talent. See how that works?

You got something against people that work at Home Depot? Not up to your standards? Or maybe you meant to imply HD and Wal-Mart don't pay enough for a person to live on without food stamps? I spent 20+ years driving a truck and know at least two people that I have worked with in the past that drove for Home Depot. On their hard working I earned my pay behalf take a long walk on a short dock because you are already all wet.

As for not staying and fighting 10,000 plus children killed, and around 7,000 women killed in Syria. Are you sure you would stay and keep your family living in a city that is in the middle of a war for several years? Or in a refugee camp for those same years with no possibility of meaningful life but living off of handouts? These people are trying to get to someplace to start over because they have decided they have no possibility of a normal, productive or safe life where they are. They are getting background checks and entry documents I'm pretty sure it would qualify as legal immigration.

Last question. What about the Christian refugees that are fleeing certain death from ISIS? Tell them go back to where you came from? If not how are their neighbors who are Muslim from the wrong sect equally liable to execution to be treated any different?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Vendor Sponsor

I say give it a year or more and LET'S JUST SEE what they do to the European nations that take them in. THEN maybe we will have credible evidence as to what they will do to America should we take them in. Let their ACTIONS be their WORDS. 'Nuf said.

AND, if they cannot conform to Teddy's version of what an immigrant should be, then send them back!

Last edited by DougGuy; 09-20-2015 at 10:27 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Got this in my mail a while back.

I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with birdseed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it was, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop! It was everywhere, on the patio tile, the chairs, the table…everywhere!Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. The other birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.After a while, I couldn’t even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.Soon, the back yard was like it used to be…quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now let’s see…..
    Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, and free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen.Then they came by the tens and hundreds of thousands, millions. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services; apartments are housing 5 families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; your child’s 2nd grade class is behind other schools because half the class doesn’t speak English. Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to ‘press one’ to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than ‘Old Glory’ are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties. When asked why they breed like cockroaches, the reply is that it is a cultural thing.Just my opinion but, maybe its time for the government to take down the bird feeder.

<end of mail>

I think a lot of people in this country would agree with this.

The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    RogerDat, here's what makes no sense:

You counting people under 16 and over 70 as part of the labor pool.
    You counting all the welfare mothers who have more than 3 children as part of the labor pool (cost of babysitting for 3 exceeds average take-home pay).
    You counting those on Federal disability (SSDI) as part of the labor pool.

In a nutshell, of the 300,300,000 you quote, less than half are employable and at least 10% of them are out of work.

"Can't have it both ways. They are bad because they leach off of welfare OR they are bad because they take jobs. Pick one because complaining about both makes no sense."

Why are you taking words from my post that are not there? I did not say that they were "bad". However, it makes perfect sense to complain about taking on the troubles of other people from other countries while there are so many Americans that are officially classified as living in poverty right now.

Better talent is great, but we have so many very qualified college graduates working at minimum wage jobs right now, lets get them employed first.

"You got something against people that work at Home Depot? Not up to your standards? Or maybe you meant to imply HD and Wal-Mart don't pay enough for a person to live on without food stamps?"

Again, because you don't like what I say, you intentionally re-word or re-define what I say. I have almost nothing but praise for those who work for HD, Lowes and most of the consumer level customer contact jobs. In case you haven't spoken with a customer service person in Home Depot lately, they average $11.00 to $12.00 per hour and are permitted to work no more than 30 hours per week. Last I heard there aren't too many places in the U.S. where one can support a family on $1,100 to $1,200 a month take-home.

Here's another thing that makes no sense, this sentence:
    "On their hard working I earned my pay behalf take a long walk on a short dock because you are already all wet."
    Second half of the sentence I get, but you lost me on the first half.

The basis of my post is that:

1. Americans come first.

2. Charity should be strictly voluntary, never forced by threat of imprisonment.

The U.S. gov't should not be in the business of collecting for or doling out monies for charity.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

RogerDat, you need to go re-read the numbers. They are looking to increase the numbers by 10's of thousands per year, every year going forward. This isn't a one-off thing. It doesn't take long to add up to hundreds of thousands.
    This is a good reminder of what happens when a large influx of Muslims enters a western country. Islam is not "the religion of peace" that the liberal types keep blathering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fzcT7jHG8

Thanks smokeywolf, I'm glad you chimed in. You always have good intelligent things to say.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master

John Kerry said today that the US is committed to taking 85,000 Syrian's (you can name what they are) + another 100,000 through 2016. If he's giving out numbers like this, then the actual number WILL be far larger.

Smokey:
    I'm saying since I know those people who work at HD and they earned their paychecks through good honest work dismissing their job as some bottom rung job your going to get stuck with is all wet. Seems to me I also see the same faces for years so at least some of the folks must consider it a job worth staying at.

10,000 people coming to this country is not going to cause any real economic problem, or make any difference in either unemployment or welfare recipients. Not really even a rounding error, less than that. Makes drop in the bucket sound like a gross exaggeration. Lot of people here these few not going hurt the economy.

It would also be nice to be holding up our ideals and reputation as a beacon of hope. If 10k fleeing years of war is too much for us to take in maybe it is time to take down the Statue of Liberty until we can live up to its inscription again.

"Bad" = Something we should not do. Or did I somehow get your post wrong and you are saying it is "Good" to allow 10,000 people fleeing a brutal war into the country. Good = Something we should do. Pretty sure I understood you to say it was "Bad" to let them in for the reasons stated but hey if you really are in favor of it.... feel free to clarify that support.

Pretty sure you complained they were going to take my job AND leach off of welfare. If I got that wrong please feel free to clarify which of these two ideas I incorrectly attributed to you.

Our college graduates can compete in the market place just fine. A doctor or engineer or any other technical or science graduate working for minimum wage is an exception not the rule. I also see no reason to not hire the A+ legal immigrant in order to make sure the D+ American graduate gets a job. Cream is supposed to rise in a meritocracy.

Boolit Buddy
    To just take in people, wholesale, is rediculous. If they want to come here...fine. Let them follow the proper procedures and become citizens that are motivated to prosper and support their new country. Just think back over our history...how the Italians, Irish, et. al were all looked down upon and persecuted. Granted, not many were terrorists though.
    Domari Nolo

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    RogerDat, you need to go re-read the numbers. They are looking to increase the numbers by 10's of thousands per year, every year going forward. This isn't a one-off thing. It doesn't take long to add up to hundreds of thousands.
    Going from 70k to 85k and in a couple of years to 100k in total refugees. So IF (big if) that refugee influx continued for 4 years it would then be 100k additional. It would take 7+ years to reach an additional 200k refugees which would qualify as hundreds of thousands. And the Syrian portion is only specified as about 10 or 15 thousand.

You assume the elevated level will continue indefinitely or at least for many years. I assume it will decline after a few years. Both these are unproven assumptions EXCEPT that I'm using the time frame given in the article of 2017. It specifies 2016 levels and 2017 levels you assume that continues forever at the 2017 level, I assume that since specific levels are given for specific years that it will be evaluated and subject to adjustment in 2018.

BTW - these are really two subjects the Syrian refugees, which I'm guessing in at least the first year will make up much of the increase. And overall refugee limits which are an upper limit, not an absolute number that will be allowed in. It is the limit on how many may be allowed in.

Moderator Emeritus

Obama is REFUSING to let Christian refugees in for the most part! Very, very few have made it here and Obama has deported some of those!

Ok smokey let us start with the basics.
    10,000 is a drop in the bucket to either the unemployment rate or labor competition. You are I'm sure aware but others may not be that there are 300,300,000 Americans so for either unemployment (assuming none got work) or labor competition (assuming all worked) they would be a rounding error.

Can't have it both ways. They are bad because they leach off of welfare OR they are bad because they take jobs. Pick one because complaining about both makes no sense.

Smart people working hard tend to enhance the economy, they generate economic growth, having worked with idiots I can tell you they hurt everyone's productivity. The United States has always benefitted from getting the best from other countries to come here to make their fortune. We all gain if our country has the best engineers and scientists and entrepreneurs working here. China can graduate a butt load of engineers but if all the other engineers want to come here the US will have the better engineering talent. See how that works?

You got something against people that work at Home Depot? Not up to your standards? Or maybe you meant to imply HD and Wal-Mart don't pay enough for a person to live on without food stamps? I spent 20+ years driving a truck and know at least two people that I have worked with in the past that drove for Home Depot. On their hard working I earned my pay behalf take a long walk on a short dock because you are already all wet.

As for not staying and fighting 10,000 plus children killed, and around 7,000 women killed in Syria. Are you sure you would stay and keep your family living in a city that is in the middle of a war for several years? Or in a refugee camp for those same years with no possibility of meaningful life but living off of handouts? These people are trying to get to someplace to start over because they have decided they have no possibility of a normal, productive or safe life where they are. They are getting background checks and entry documents I'm pretty sure it would qualify as legal immigration.

Last question. What about the Christian refugees that are fleeing certain death from ISIS? Tell them go back to where you came from? If not how are their neighbors who are Muslim from the wrong sect equally liable to execution to be treated any different?

Moderator Emeritus

Estimates place the number of "refugees" (why are 70++% of them young fighting age males?) leaving Syria at 5+ million. Obama has said he wants to see it increase to 100,000 PER YEAR in 2017. You cannot dump that many people who are not culturally compatible with our way of life into our cities and not expect trouble! Why aren't the muslim countries taking them in? Plenty of wealthy muslim countries that could not only handle the inflow but there would be no cultural clash!

This is an INVASION being brokered by Obama! Once they reach a critical mass we will see them demand more and more, they will demand their laws be followed etc. I ran into that in a neighborhood in Minneapolis where a single female friend was living. It had become about 80% muslim and the men were sexually harassing her on a daily basis. Threatened rape, threatened to kill her etc. She was grabbed and had some ugly bruises on her breasts when I got up there to help her move to a small town out near me. The cops refused to do anything because the muslims screamed discrimination the minute any of them were arrested.

As I was helping her move stuff into my truck one of the muslims made a grab for my chest. I blocked him. This happened 3 times then I purposely let my jacket ride up exposing my carry pistol. They backed off and settled for screaming insults at us. I have NO PLACE for them anywhere in this country after that! We have a constitution giving me freedom to dress as I please, to practice whatever religion I please, and to not have to put up with their garbage!