WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 200 gr

Lee 200 gr

I just got a Lee 200 gr rifle mold today. I am looking for some good load data for CMP 200 yard matches in 30/06.

Boolit Master

I use IMR-4895 for my Garand, start at 32 grains and work up. For my 03, 4895 performs well too but I normally use 3031 (for either 170gr or the 200gr) and start with 30gr there. BTW, my 200gr. boolit of choice is the Lyman 311299, sized to .310 and lubed with Carnuba Red.

Good Luck

Was going to powder coat. Size 310.

Boolit Master

Try 40 to 42 grains of 4831,under your lee 200 grain gas checked boolit.Mine shot about 3/4" at 75 yards.Good luck
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info on the 4831.
    I will try that with a NOE .311 198 spirepoint GC sized to .309 and PC'ed and see how she does in my -06

Hey tbierley
    My pet load in a Remington Kodiak was with IMR4350. Case capacity ratio worked out well. Found it very good to 800m.
    Roy

Not to hijack this thread but how big does the lee 309-200 drop from the mold?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPanda View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but how big does the lee 309-200 drop from the mold?
    When I got mine, it dropped just under .311 from one cavity and .3115 from the other using my 'rifle' alloy (50/50 WW and Lyman #2 + 1% tin). After a bit of judicious lapping, it now drops a bit over .312 from both cavities and I size to either .311 (.308 and 30-40) or .310 (7.5x55 Swiss).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I use 36.5gr H4895 under 200gr Lee RNGC. I size and lube with SPG to .311". Runs right at 2,000 fps and groups ~2moa. Adequate for 200yd Garand matches!
    I haven't shot any through my CMP Special, but my Match gun runs like silk with them. I shot my first match back in June at the Taladega range. I'd previously asked if cast bullets were allowed, but got blank stares. One RO speculated that cast might damage the targets so I didn't pursue further. Shot some Hornady 155gr A-Max.
    Ill use them if allowed. I'm not looking to excell in the competitions, just participate. I've shot PPC for several decades and tied/set records, and with cast "boolits" at that. BTDT, just looking to hang with the gang now. Cast makes it cheaper and "funner".
    Not crazy about the electronic targets. Saw a lot of "misses" that weren't, and cross fires that weren't. I and next shooter fired at exact same moment, target system scored him a double and mine a crossfire! Fortunately for him they were 10's! Cost me a bronze medalian in my first match.

7.5 gr fast shotgun powder. Trying it this weekend. May not stabilize. Probably good out to 50 yds though. Good lube, gas check in place. Hoping for good results in a tikka t3. I wouldnt be too surprised if it works at a bit longer range, maybe even the 200 yd you are looking for with the right holdover. Expecting about 1100 fps muzzle velocity, subsonic all the way

Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    7.5 gr fast shotgun powder. Trying it this weekend. May not stabilize. Probably good out to 50 yds though. Good lube, gas check in place. Hoping for good results in a tikka t3. I wouldnt be too surprised if it works at a bit longer range, maybe even the 200 yd you are looking for with the right holdover. Expecting about 1100 fps muzzle velocity, subsonic all the way
    Cast boolit in a rifle cartridge charged with fast powder, I'd expect a drop in the point of aim. Half foot to a foot at 100yds. Maybe more. YMMV.

Have fun!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    Cast boolit in a rifle cartridge charged with fast powder, I'd expect a drop in the point of aim. Half foot to a foot at 100yds. Maybe more. YMMV.

Have fun!
    When I shot 110g plated with 11g unique, POI was exactly the same as 2640 fps 150g jsp. I found tighter groups with other loads, but since I could use both loads without a scope adjustment, this was more desirable. In my .308, 6.5g Red Dot sent the Lee C309-200-R at 1005 fps and grouped nicely at 50 yards. You can go with a little more powder with the bigger case and still stay subsonic if would wish.

Boolit Bub
    For the '06 bolt guns, I really like about 24 gr. A5744. With the NOE 311-195FN cast in Lyman #2 it does 1850 fps. I would try that with your Lee boolit.
    Hopelessly afflicted with a life long addiction to the rifled bore!

Two things always make me smile, powder smoke wafting down the firing line and the ring of a Garand clip hitting the ground.