Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subcompact tarctor

Boolit Master

Given the size of your property, I would recommend something like my John Deere 3005. I find it to be a good mix between smaller size, 4 wheel drive, and has sufficient power and full range of 3 point/PTO attachment options (i.e. front loader, back hoe, 5 ft mower, chipper/shredder, cement mixer, etc....)

If cost is an issue, You could also look for an older tractor such as a Ford 2N, 8N, or 9N. These are getting hard to locate since many were bought up and taken to Mexico over the last 35 years. They often go for $2K to $3.5K. Plenty rugged, and 3 point hitch items fit. You might have to search for a front end loader to fit them. Also, make sure the one you buy has a PTO; quite a few did not have PTO.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I have had Yanmar, John Deere and now have a Kubota BX-25, Kubota is by far the better machine. All have fel, bh, and the Kubota also has a 3 pth snow blower, there is no better way to move snow. However it is not what I would call an inexpensive machine but after owning the previous two machines I believe it is worth it.

Boolit Master
    I had (past tense) a John Deere 2305 with the belly mower. In 4 years went through 3 batteries and when I sold it the solenoid for the belly mower crapped out. That tractor was a green lump that you threw money at. So having said that went and got a Kubota L3800 with front end loader and bushog and never looked back. Think it's about 37 horse power with 4 wheel drive when you need it. I've moved dirt, tree limbs, graded part of the front lawn and the list goes on. Had it two years and still on the first battery, plus the dealer has helped me out when I had a couple problems. The JD dealer was all about bring it in and throw money at it. Go for a kubota with a finish cut rear mower and front end loader. You won't be sorry. Best thing about it is that with the front end loader you don't really stop picking up tree limbs ( I have a lot of trees)just push them out of the way and pick them up when you want. With the JD I didn't have that option. Check out orangetractor.com for the kubota tractors. Frank

Boolit Master
    We have a John Deere 770, 4x4 w/ model 70 bucket that we bought new in the mid 90's. Little Yanmar 3cyl diesel, the thing runs and works like a champ! It has been mowing a 4 acre lot since new along with bucket work and plowing, etc. It has pulled a 6ft brush hog since new too, which is a little big for it but it works. Its been a great machine, not one problem in all these years!

I'm partial to Green, my grandfather co-owned a JD dealership when I was a tyke. Still an International fan too!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 146327

Go Big Or Go Home
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Kubota 18 hp Diesel BX series. This thing is a real workhorse, doesn't cost much more than a comparable size 'lawn tractor', and has ten times the build quality.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have a JD 950, probably about 23 hp and have 5 acres. I also have a MF135 with the same hp, but two wheel drive I inherited. I like the live pto on the MF and leave the backhoe attachment on the JD. My sister has a JD750, probably about 18hp and I have run a 5' bush hog with it, but don't care for the pto setup as it won't start till the tractor is moving. Both the JD's are 4wd and believe me, has it come in handy here in Colorado. Both have buckets on the front. They have Yanmar diesels. The MF a perkins.
    Both of the listed above John Deere tractors are of the 80s no later that early 90s vintage, yes they have Yanmar engines and it would have seemed odd for them to have anything else, being they were built by Yanmar for John Deere. All of the model 650 threw 1650 and tractors of that vintage are Yanmar built. I sold many of them.

Most of the compact tractors with manual transmissions of that vintage under 35 HP, will not have "Live" PTO. Small utility tractors of that vintage will have Live PTO.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

I have a 25 acre mini farm and own a New Holland TC30 tractor as well as a larger Massey Ferguson. That little New Holland does everything you listed as wanting to do and more! It's a 4 wheel drive with a manual transmission. I use a 6 foot finish mower, a 5 foot bushog.a 5 foot rotary tiller, 12 inch double plows, 10 foot boom sprayer, front end loader, and a 5 foot box blade with it and it does well with all of them. If I had to choose keeping just one of my tractors, it would be the New Holland!

Banned

my neighbor was looking for a 4x4 mid sized tractor about 10 years ago to put a back hoe on in the summer and a blower on in the winter. I told him to take a ride with me and talk to the owner of the big farm I do crop damage shooting at and see what he recommended. He told my neighbor to but about anything but a John Deer. He said they were overpriced and what you bought was a name and with the troubles he had with them in the past he wouldn't have one in his driveway. He recommended a new Holland. Neighbor bought one couldn't be happier. Only problems hes ever had were a couple blown hoses and he uses the thing about daily.

Boolit Master
    My brother uses a John Deere 4 wd small yanmar diesel tractor for all that and more...brush hogging, mowing, grading, log splitting, and repairing a 1/4 mile long driveway and many other chores. His is an old 750 (?) series and it is more than capable.

Boolit Master

I appreciate the input. I am going to check out the couple local places today and see what they can do.

Boolit Master
    I worked for the USF&W, and all they had were expensive JD. I have useMasseys, and really enjoyed them, but the first time I ran a Kubota, I was blown away by how well it works.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

I just purchased a Kubota Grand L4060 this spring. This is a 42HP 4x4 tractor with a front end loader with shuttle shift. It is a workhorse. I have a 6ft finish mower, tiller, box blade, hiller, 6 ft disk, and 5 foot brushhog for it, and it handles everything well. I live on 5 acres, and mow about 4 of it. I also make a fairly large garden every year. I love my tractor for use at my deer lease as well. This is my second Kubota (first one was a little undersized for what I wanted it for) and I have no complaints about the tractors.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I really didn't want to drive all over the state so I visited JD and Kubota. I went with the Kubota BX25D. I got a front end loader, backhoe, 60" finish mower and rototiller. I hope this is a good purchase. I'll let you know in 20 years.

The tractor that I have is a used Massy 471 diesel 65 hp. It does just about any thing I ask of it. My only regret is not waiting until a deal came along on a 45 or 50 hp with 4 wheel drive, and don't get one with out a front end loader, that's the thing you will use the most!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Kubota 18 hp Diesel BX series. This thing is a real workhorse, doesn't cost much more than a comparable size 'lawn tractor', and has ten times the build quality.

What do they cost new?
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I really didn't want to drive all over the state so I visited JD and Kubota. I went with the Kubota BX25D. I got a front end loader, backhoe, 60" finish mower and rototiller. I hope this is a good purchase. I'll let you know in 20 years.
    I think you'll be happy.

Perma-Banned

I have a 17horse power Deere as long as you do not overwork them they are fine. I had my tires foam filled and this made a big difference in the tractors usefulness.

Boolit Buddy
    If you buy a Kubota get the B series. My 2013 BX 2660 is OK but the loader is sad. RPM's have to be at least 2500 to get any satisfactory speed out of the loader. Dealer told me that the B series has a larger capacity hydraulic pump and has a much faster loader. I found this out after the fact,and complained ,I was offered what I paid for the BX2660 in trade for a B series,but at $3000 more I passed on the offer and just complain every time I try and use the loader.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I have a Kubota L3901, with a 5' quick detachable bucket and a med. duty bush-hog, Bought this baby in April after playing 4 dealers against each other.
    Shop around, Get quotes, Call the dealer back and tell him so-in-so beat your price by___
    They will come down!!!