Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Government Gun Free Zones

Boolit Master
    Don't know about other States but in California our LEOs have CCW permits. I am sure that some people with CCW permits just bought their gun ,but several CCW holders have been shooting for some time. Just because you have a handgun doesn't mean you are going to successfully take on someone with a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    At most of the FOBs overseas everyone is carrying a weapon, many locked and loaded, and though it happens it's rare to have a negligent discharge. When trained soldiers are given weapons it is much different than a civilian that gets a CC permit with little to no knowledge of how to operate a gun, and most here will support allowing anyone to exercise their 2A rights. So why not a trained soldier?
    actually I agree with you, but apparently the US military dies not and this is nothing new which was the point of my post. I have been to Israel three times and every IDF soldier you see, male or female, on duty, or off duty, has their rifle with a loaded mag at all times. They seem to make it work, so why can't we. I think it is a generations old fear of the average soldier by the leaders of the military. I guess that is because up to know they have been safe on American soil. The IDF knows the battlefield is where ever they are standing at any given moment.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    actually I agree with you, but apparently the US military dies not and this is nothing new which was the point of my post. I have been to Israel three times and every IDF soldier you see, male or female, on duty, or off duty, has their rifle with a loaded mag at all times. They seem to make it work, so why can't we. I think it is a generations old fear of the average soldier by the leaders of the military. I guess that is because up to know they have been safe on American soil. The IDF knows the battlefield is where ever they are standing at any given moment.
    And that's just one more thing BeBe could teach POTUS.

Boolit Master

I guess if we keep going down this road with these terrorists, we can look forward to a well armed society.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Obviously we just need another new law... Maybe something along the line of it being illegal to shoot military personnel?

With respect to arming all of the military personnel, you have to remember that not every member of the military gets training in firearms. Some get a small amount of time at the range in boot camp and some don't even get that. The people who are in the recruitment centers are not necessarily even combat vets or even from MOSs / ratings that are combat related.

There is also the hesitation of the American populace to have all of the military personnel armed since it gives the appearance of an of an occupying / oppressive force. Just look at the opposition to the Jade Helm operation...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Obviously we just need another new law... Maybe something along the line of it being illegal to shoot military personnel?

With respect to arming all of the military personnel, you have to remember that not every member of the military gets training in firearms. Some get a small amount of time at the range in boot camp and some don't even get that. The people who are in the recruitment centers are not necessarily even combat vets or even from MOSs / ratings that are combat related.

There is also the hesitation of the American populace to have all of the military personnel armed since it gives the appearance of an of an occupying / oppressive force. Just look at the opposition to the Jade Helm operation...
    Yea, that's the ticket; deny them their second amendment rights because of the fear of those around them. Where have we heard that before? Oh yea, all the gun grabbers trying to disarm us all.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Yea, that's the ticket; deny them their second amendment rights because of the fear of those around them. Where have we heard that before? Oh yea, all the gun grabbers trying to disarm us all.
    Oh, we were denied quite a few of our rights when we were in the military.

I'm not saying that I agree with the reasoning, but I'm just pointing out the concern that some people have. Personally, I think that they should have the same rights as everyone else with respect to carrying of firearms. If the military has access to $1000 fully automatic M4s, then WE should also be able to buy them for the same price and carry them. Actually, I read that with one of the latest bids for a M4 contract, the price was below $600.

If a state does not allow the citizens to open carry a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, then the military should also not be allowed to do it. Fair is fair.

Boolit Master

Oh, we were denied quite a few of our rights when we were in the military.

I'm not saying that I agree with the reasoning, but I'm just pointing out the concern that some people have. Personally, I think that they should have the same rights as everyone else with respect to carrying of firearms. If the military has access to $1000 fully automatic M4s, then WE should also be able to buy them for the same price and carry them. Actually, I read that with one of the latest bids for a M4 contract, the price was below $600.

If a state does not allow the citizens to open carry a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, then the military should also not be allowed to do it. Fair is fair.
    Well, call me a glass half full kind of guy, but I believe if the state allows its citizens to carry then the military should also be allowed. And while I disagree about the price due to bulk buys, we should be allowed any small arms we can afford.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    One of the reasons the majority of military personnel can't get the permission or the resources needed to protect themselves is because those with the authority to change military policy lack the motivation to do so because they themselves have round the clock protection.
    Too bad that the lives of lower ranking military personnel are not seen as deserving of the same protections as those of higher ranking officers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

No, the water is not muddy nor is your post unclear. However, questions asked, often produce answers that are not always strictly in line with the question.

I don't believe the situation is anything new. Unless part of a guard or security detail, military people are not allowed to have weapons and ammo with them. It has been this way since the mind of man remembereth not. They have no "rights" as you put it. They can only do what the military allows them to do. There are plenty of negligent discharges on the range or by guards, to allow hundreds of thousands of military people to wander through their day wagging loaded weapons with them wherever they go.

Back in the day, cavalry sabers were made and issued blunt with a "U" shaped edge. Some officers thought the sabers should be sharp, but the Army decided the average trooper with a razor sharp sabers was a danger to himself, his fellow troopers and the horse. More damage would be inflicted on the innocent than on the enemy.

Posting an armed guard at these places might be a good idea, but just filling military building with armed soldiers might not be a swift idea.
    Plus One, Mate. Accidental discharges would kill or injure more people than insurgent terrorists. Senior NCO's should have firearms available, but all personnel should not be armed.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Well, call me a glass half full kind of guy, but I believe if the state allows its citizens to carry then the military should also be allowed. And while I disagree about the price due to bulk buys, we should be allowed any small arms we can afford.
    The thing is, a fully automatic M4 or M16 is not any more expensive than a semi-auto AR15 once you take away the supply restrictions that the NFA and FOPA create. I don't have any particular desire to have a fully auto rifle since that would just mean that I would spend even more hours reloading for each actual *minute* of shooting, but I find it offensive that an unconstitutional government "law" would artificially inflate prices as much as it has.

Boolit Master

How is the argument that some people/personnel should be allowed to carry weapons and some should not any different than only LEOS and Military should be allowed and civilians not?

That is the slippery slope my friend. Once you agree that not all sane, law abiding citizens should have 2A rights you've fallen into the rabbit's hole. The rights should be for all, whether trained or idiots or trained to be idiots. I'll take my chances.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

The thing is, a fully automatic M4 or M16 is not any more expensive than a semi-auto AR15 once you take away the supply restrictions that the NFA and FOPA create. I don't have any particular desire to have a fully auto rifle since that would just mean that I would spend even more hours reloading for each actual *minute* of shooting, but I find it offensive that an unconstitutional government "law" would artificially inflate prices as much as it has.
    Oh, I agree about the NFA, but I doubt you can buy say an M9/Beretta 92 for the same price the military buys them for, heck most police departments get a better deal than the general public. No, the NFA adds $ restrictions but I highly doubt we would see any fast reduction in the price if the NFA would be gone tomorrow. What would silencers sell for tomorrow if that were to happen? How about RDIAS? At least with RDIAS I would understand that manufacturing would have to catch up, but silencers are all over the place, yet it would take awhile for that price to be reduced.
    Last edited by Omega; 07-18-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Speeling
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    This happened yesterday in Georgia
    GAINESVILLE, Ga. —
    A Navy recruiter is recovering after he accidentally shot himself in the leg at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in Gainesville.
    Gainesville police say the shooting happened around 11 a.m. at the location on Dawsonville Highway.
    The man was taken to the Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville and listed in stable condition Friday afternoon.
    Soldiers are not allowed to bring guns inside the center, but Channel 2 Action News confirmed the gun was the recruiter's personal weapon.The shooting came about 24 hours after a gunman targeted a recruitment center in Tennessee, killing four service members.
    A link to the story---- http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-gaines/nm2Tp/

Boolit Master
    I just think it is a bit ironic but not surprising that in many states the only people not allowed to carry concealed or otherwise are criminals and military personnel.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosters View Post
    This happened yesterday in Georgia
    GAINESVILLE, Ga. —
    A Navy recruiter is recovering after he accidentally shot himself in the leg at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in Gainesville.
    Gainesville police say the shooting happened around 11 a.m. at the location on Dawsonville Highway.
    The man was taken to the Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville and listed in stable condition Friday afternoon.
    Soldiers are not allowed to bring guns inside the center, but Channel 2 Action News confirmed the gun was the recruiter's personal weapon.The shooting came about 24 hours after a gunman targeted a recruitment center in Tennessee, killing four service members.
    A link to the story---- http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-gaines/nm2Tp/
    This is why you don't carry a weapon with 1 in the chamber. in a gun free zone
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Another bang up job by .Gov of protecting it's citizens

Boolit Master
    The same people that have gun accidents are the same people that have car accidents or boating accidents. I've been a range officer for many years & have to warn the same people all the time, they never learn, even after years of shooting competition. I also teach a ladies handgun class & one of the things I ask them is, would you make a long trip without your spare tire. I get several different answers, most tell me that they would not make a long trip although they seldom if ever need it. Then I ask them if they would make a long trip without a handgun, it really gets them thinking when I compare the two questions. If you choose to be a victim, its your choice. No soldier, when in uniform should be on duty with out being armed, my opinion anyway.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    This is why you don't carry a weapon with 1 in the chamber. in a gun free zone
    Huh? I have done so for 38 years safely. It is no huge burden to keep a finger off the trigger until you have target acquisition. To paraphrase a Sturm-Ruger ad from some years back--there has never been a foolproof firearm. So--FOOLS SHOULD LEAVE THE THINGS ALONE.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Be interesting to know the angle the shot went in at least was he playing with te gun and it went off? Did the gun fall from carry and fire? or was he shoing it to coworker friend and it went off. In a desk drawer and slamed bumped and fired? All are possibilities here. Not enough given info to know what actually happened. Most factories, places of buisness dont allow employes to carry on the job or on premisis. Some dont even want them in parking lots. Interestingly when I went for Social Security hearing on disability We went thru 3 diffrent metal detectors and were "wanded" at the court rooms lobby. Had to empty pockets also. Think about it this level of protection for a court room but all others are left hanging in the wind?