Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEE sizing die depriming pin

If you silver solder the pin in it would be "boolitproof"

Boolit Buddy
    A flash hole uniformer would stop the pin from pulling out. Polishing the pin would likely solve the problem. As would a 1/16" drill bit. I wonder if you might be adjusting the decapping pin down too low? I adjust my Lee dies so that it just pops the primer out, no more depth adjustment than that.
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

Boolit Master
    Max Range, S&B is known to have tight flash holes and Lee mentions this on Q&A page. Unfortunately in OP's situation low volume solutions will not work he processing remanufacturing in volume. The pin seizing in the hole regardless of depth of penetration.

Silver solder and turning down the pins is best option.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    44vaquero got it. Other thing is the lenght of the pin. Once in a while the primer stay in the primer pocket
    I can feel it while primer pocket swagging but it is too late.
    It seems to me that the primer stays on the depriming pin and on the way back stuck in the case partially

Boolit Master
    Rasto, most likely you are catching the anvil on the pin and that pulls the primer back on the up stroke, once you get past the pin seizing issue this may disappear too.

I may not know everything, but using Lee dies and trouble shooting progressives I am fairly good at!

FYI, I did talk to Lee about your situation and my contact was already aware of your diffculty even though she was not handling it!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    Well, bad news are faster then anything else
    During my reloading sessions I change those pins more often than not.

I am considering to change sizing die to something more reliable. Any ideas?

Although I have been pretty happy with Lee dies, I do like the Dillon dies but they cost a bit more. The decapping pin is spring loaded so once the primer is clear of the pocket, it is flung off the pin for sure, never had a primer stick to one of the pins.

Seems like hammering the pin in could peen the end of the pin so that it's even tighter in the flashhole.

I'd locktite or glue it in, then turn the pin down with sandpaper and a drill.

I've had this happen one with Lee (never happened again), never with Hornady, Dillon or RCBS.
    Last edited by dudel; 06-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the parcel from LEE today.
    It consists of one pistol decapping pin and three universal decapping die pins which seem to me custom made
    Have a look.

I need to file it down a bit because the standard one is 1.6mm in diameter and the custom made is 1.74 at the bottom and 1.9mm near the rod.

Boolit Buddy
    My processed brass was spend so another batch was on schedule. As you can see the results are still the same. I have de-primed around 4000 cases and had to stop due to the shortage of Lee decapping pins again
    Another problem is the shape of the decapper. From time to time it hits the neck of the case and smash it as displayed so I shaved a bit of the corners.
    The culprits are S&B (tight flash hole), GFL (offset flash hole), Berdan cases.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150613_134208_resize.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	142026

Boolit Grand Master

To mostly eliminate the 223 neck damage, I used a drill press and a file to taper a point on the rod at the pin end. This makes it self centering in the neck.
    The sorted S&B brass gets the flash holes bored/de-burred first.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Lee service is great. They have always sent me replacement when I submit pictures. Even replaced a scratched die! I would adjust your decapping rod so it barely protudes enough to pop out the primer. I mostly use my universal decapper cuz I soak the brass in citric acid but ive had the decapping pin get stuck in a 357 Sig case before

Boolit Grand Master

Reduce the diameter of the pin that goes into the flash hole, leave the diameter that goes in the rod alone. Or decap cases off press with a rod/punch, usually used for knocking out crimped in primers. Look at Lee Decapper and Base items #90103 or #90102. I made a punch like this from an old rat tailed file, the handle end is not brittle and can be ground down to fit the flash hole, I used it to knock many crimped military primers out, just seat the case on any solid surface with a hole in it for the primer to drop into.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    What to say premium service !

Hey Rasto,
    Thanks for sending in the photo. We'll get a replacement sent out to you in tomorrow's mail.

Sincerely,
    Raquel

Lee Precision, Inc.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A longer way of doing it but I de-prime all my brass - pistol & rifle - with a Lee universal de-primer. On my 8mm, I du use the Lee FL die with the de-priming stem in it but only because I'm neck sizing and the rod expands the neck on the way out. Since I use only cast, I have now gone to removing the de-capping pin entirely and just use the body to FL or Neck Size - then expand with a Lyman M die.

That doesn't help though on a priming hole that is too small and the de-capping pin that is too big which equals "stuck". It seems like you either have to turn the pin down (using drill and fine sandpaper) or go to a brass with a larger primer hole? I've never compared the replacement Lyman "pins" with a Lee pin size - if your priming hole is too small for the Lee pin - maybe pick up a used Lyman universal de-priming die?

Since I use a universal de-priming die to process all my brass, I've removed the de-capping pins/rifle & pistol from my FL dies. My problem has always been getting the Lee collet nut loose to take the pin out - never had a problem with a pin slipping in the collet when I was using them before going to a universal de-capping die.

It sounds like something is certainly "amiss" and with the trouble you describe, it's got to be frustrating. I'm not that experienced with the rifle reloading but if the Lee pin is too big, you have to be swaging the priming holes larger? If that is the case, what effect would opening up the priming hole on your brass be if you opened them up with a drill that was just large enough to allow the Lee pin to work? Would there be a problem with pressure increasing?

Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    Well, bad news are faster then anything else
    During my reloading sessions I change those pins more often than not.

I am considering to change sizing die to something more reliable. Any ideas?
    Have you looked at the Hornady dies? The decapping pin has a head that keeps it from pulling out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornady Decapper.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	142246

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    What to say premium service !

Hey Rasto,
    Thanks for sending in the photo. We'll get a replacement sent out to you in tomorrow's mail.

Sincerely,
    Raquel

Lee Precision, Inc.
    Glad to hear. Their service is fantastic. They've helped me replaced parts on presses dies molds sizers and God knows what else

Boolit Master
    S&B has a bad habit of non standard primer flash holes. I bought several boxes of 22 hornet, for the brass, well everyone is undersized, breaks or pulls the decapping pin out of the die. Once their out, you can simply drill them, its just getting them out. I just toss them now vs messing with them. Modified a decapping pin to deal with Speer and their smaller flash holes in 357 sig brass I bought a bunch of. Once fired stuff, get em out I drill them, but they aren't as small as the S&B.

Boolit Master
    The universal decapping rod and pin is longer and appear tougher than the standard pistol one.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if they will ship overseas, but amazon.com shows a one piece decapping pin "upgrade" for the Lee universal decapping die. It also has a rounded shoulder to keep it from bending case necks. Made by "squirrel daddy"
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield