Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Re-boring?

Boolit Master

Re-boring?

Hi folks.
    I picked up an original Winchester Hi Wall barrel to have re-bored. It's a 32-40 30" that someone had done a pretty good job of re-bluing, so the finish is no longer original. The bore is so bad I can hardly make out any rifling. What I'm looking for is someone that can re-bore it .403 groove diameter and re-chamber it to 40-70 Sharps Straight. My first thought was JES but their web site says their "40's" are 402 Bore-412 groove. If you know of anyone that can do this work please let me know. Thank you.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Hi folks.
    I picked up an original Winchester Hi Wall barrel to have re-bored. It's a 32-40 30" that someone had done a pretty good job of re-bluing, so the finish is no longer original. The bore is so bad I can hardly make out any rifling. What I'm looking for is someone that can re-bore it .403 groove diameter and re-chamber it to 40-70 Sharps Straight. My first thought was JES but their web site says their "40's" are 402 Bore-412 groove. If you know of anyone that can do this work please let me know. Thank you.

Give Wayne York a call (Oregon Gunsmithing) 541-278-4177

He did a rebore for me a couple of years ago and his work is outstanding.
    Last edited by Skipper; 06-01-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Do you mean 408 groove ,400 bore?

Boolit Master

Redding if they are still in business. Another thought might be relining it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    I had JES do a 30-06 to 35 Whelen rebore for me. Very good work and excellent turn around time.

I would give him a call directly. You won't get an answer when you call. You have to leave him a message and he'll call you back, but he WILL call you back.

I'd just ask him if he can do what you want. There's only so much he puts on the website, but I bet if you talked with him and hashed out what you want, he'll do it for you.

I had my rifle done, and I know of two other guys who had JES do work for them and are very pleased. One had a 350 Norma Magnum done, and another had a 35 Newton done. The Newton is FAR from common, but JES got it done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    Do you mean 408 groove ,400 bore?
    No .403 groove. I'm not concerned if it's the proper dia. for Winchester's. My 40-50 Sharps Straight is .403 as well. Already have dies and several moulds. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2181.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	141048
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tddeangelo View Post
    I had JES do a 30-06 to 35 Whelen rebore for me. Very good work and excellent turn around time.
    Thanks. I had JES re-bore a M700 270 to 35 Whelen last summer. Was really pleased with the work. I wish they could do the work for me but their web site says .402 bore .412 groove dia..
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

Boolit Master
    Thanks Skipper I'll give the Folks at Oregon Gunsmithing a call. (they're closed today their phone message says)
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Redding if they are still in business. Another thought might be relining it.

Bob
    Thanks for responding Bob. Did you mean Redman's. Their website says they're not doing any re-boring due to back log, and when i checked their link on re-boring it says they won't do Hi or Lo Wall's - for some reason. If you did mean Redding I'm not familiar with them if you have more information. Thanks again.
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwat...ing/index.html

Best rebores I have found yet. Don't be in a hurry, and you will be amazed at what he can do.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Thanks. I had JES re-bore a M700 270 to 35 Whelen last summer. Was really pleased with the work. I wish they could do the work for me but their web site says .402 bore .412 groove dia..
    I'd call him and ask. I bet he'll do what you're after, if he has the equipment for it. He made my buddy's 35 Newton on a borrowed reamer. I forget how that deal worked, but somehow a reamer was found/borrowed/etc and it went to JES and the rifle got made. My buddy is a serious shooter, and he loves his Newton to death. It sounds like a fearsome cartridge, too, from what he's sent me for velocities and groups. 2700fps range, well into it, with 250gr bullets. That's some stomping power! A Whelen makes deer fall over with 250's getting 2500-ish. The Newton is just off the hook, lol.

Anyway, if you're comfortable with JES, I'd at least give him a ring and see what he says about your project.

Boolit Grand Master

High Plains Reboring & Refifling

Phone: (701) 448-9188Fax: (701) 448-9112243 14th Ave NW, Turtle Lake, ND 58575-9410 Send email to High Plains Reboring & Refifling

more options here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-rebore-where

Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    High Plains Reboring & Refifling

Phone: (701) 448-9188Fax: (701) 448-9112243 14th Ave NW, Turtle Lake, ND 58575-9410 Send email to High Plains Reboring & Refifling
    The gentlemans name is Norm Johnson............he does nice work. Turnbull was using Norm's barrels for some of their conversions, they still may be.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the leads guys. I'll check them out. Steve
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

Boolit Master

Delta does good work. I can do 40 cal. but only with .400 bore. You might find someone with a cutter box for 38-40 which should work for what you want.