Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R. HOCH barrel info ?

Boolit Mold

R. HOCH barrel info ?

My son packed home a Navy Arms rolling block in 45-70 today with a "ginormous" barrel . It is full octagon, 28" long and just under 1.5 inch diameter . The only markings on the barrel are 45 70 R. Hoch . Dropped it on a scale and it weighs in at 19lbs 6oz. I assume it was built as a bench gun but does anyone have info on this barrel maker / gunsmith?

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, he was a retired Navy machinist and a very good one at that. He made his own barrels and made custom moulds. He was a good guy and would alway talk cast boolits when I saw him at the range. You can google Richard Hoch

Boolit Master
    His mould designs are still quite popular too.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Richard Hoch

His shop was in Montrose, Colorado when I knew him. I watched him make barrels and he even designed a single shot rifle action, although I don't think that it ever went on the market.

He sold his business to Dave Farmer in 1977 or so and he ran the shop in Fruita, Colorado for several years before ultimately moving to Roswell, New Mexico. Dave is still producing the Hoch nose pour molds and they are of superlative quality.

Here is the link:

http://www.hochmoulds.com/hm/
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

The Hoch action, did go to market in 1987, produced by Farmer. I bought #139 of the first ones (39th) to be made.

They were later produced by Meacham. A friend of mine, bought all the tooling and parts from Meacham and they now reside in the Spokane, WA area looking for someone to start building them again.

Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoch3.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	133447

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.montrosepress.com/obituar...752992de4.html

Gunsmith
    Feb. 24, 1926 — May 20, 2006
    MONTROSE — Richard Hoch, of Montrose, died late Saturday morning, May 20, 2006, at the Montrose Memorial Hospital at the age of 80.

Richard was born on Feb. 24, 1926, in Montrose, Colo., the son of Onel Ralph and Mabel J. (Caddy) Hoch. He grew up in the Montrose and Delta areas and graduated from the Montrose County High School with the class of 1944.
    During World War II, he was proud to serve his country in the United States Navy as a gunner’s mate in the Asiatic Pacific.
    On Jan. 27, 1946, Richard was united in marriage with Betty Weber in Montrose, Colo. Richard and Betty had the joy of sharing 60 years together at the time of his death.
    After farming and ranching for many years, Richard quit to pursue occupations more in tune with his interests. With longtime friend, Russell Cook, he owned and operated Colorado Custom Bullets. When they sold that business, Richard developed his own gun shop where he manufactured Hoch bullet moulds, rifle barrels, rifle actions and continued to build his own rifles. Later, in his “retirement” years, he crafted beautiful wood boxes and bowls.
    He was a member of the Montrose Christian Church, where he served as a deacon, elder, teacher and trustee for many years. He also belonged to the National Rifle Association and Montrose Rod& Gun Club.
    In addition to his love of guns, Richard also enjoyed woodworking.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the info, this is going to be a fun gun to play with. The kid wants to set up a blind and a portable bench and try to whack an antelope with it this fall. This will be our only option as neither one of us is man enough to pack it around on a spot and stalk hunt.

eta..........My avatar pic is the goat the boy killed last year with his Martini / Greener in 45-70 , he calls that one his ultra lite now.
    Last edited by LENNY67; 03-10-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: trivia

Boolit Master

Richard, back in the early 80's also made and installed barrels in many other calibers. He made and installed a special twist barrel in 444 Marlin for a friend. Excellent workmanship in every respect and as I remember it really made that old Marlin shoot better than most and that with very heavy bullets.
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    The Hoch action, did go to market in 1987, produced by Farmer. I bought #139 of the first ones (39th) to be made.

They were later produced by Meacham. A friend of mine, bought all the tooling and parts from Meacham and they now reside in the Spokane, WA area looking for someone to start building them again.

Frank

Name:	Hoch3.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	133447

I'm currently working on a near twin to this in the shop. One of our late members here gave me the parts 7-8 years ago. I'm not particularly interested in getting into the Schutzen game, so am trying to get this one semi finished to peddle at the gun show.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm currently working on a near twin to this in the shop. One of our late members here gave me the parts 7-8 years ago. I'm not particularly interested in getting into the Schutzen game, so am trying to get this one semi finished to peddle at the gun show.
    Just curious... what caliber is it in, how close to finished is it at this point and what are you asking for it .
    Last edited by LENNY67; 03-10-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY67 View Post
    Just curious... what caliber is it in, how close to finished is it at this point and what are you asking for it .
    I'll send you a PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thirty five years ago Mr. Hoch rebarreled my 1888 and made a 185 grain mold to match his 12" twist rifling.
    A long barreled .32 caliber and ladder sights are 'bout like cling peaches; they're just good.

Boolit Buddy
    I have three custom rifles that I built using barrels made for me by Rich Hoch back in the late 70's-very early 80's. He could cut any twist, any groove configuration that you wanted. He also fitted the barrels and chambered them with reamers that I supplied. I did a .40-70 SBN on a Navy Arms Rolling Block action, a .40-90 SBN on an Artistic Arms Sharps Borchardt action, and .50-70 Govt on an original 1870 Trapdoor action as a Gemmer-style sporter. Rich did his part extremely well on all three. Also have a number of his molds. We spent a lot of time batting the breeze on the phone over those years. He always was willing to talk technical aspects of rifles and molds. I even have one of his original advertising flyers saved somewhere. If I can find it, I'll scan it and post it. Good guy, skilled craftsman. God speed...
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post

Frank
    I live just down the road from Spokane...wish I knew something about gun building.

Sounds like a fun 2nd career....

Boolit Buddy

Name:	Rich Hoch   015.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	135124
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Man . . . that name caused me to wipe away some cobwebs out of my brain! Straighten me out . . did he not also make some muzzleloading barrels? I'm talking some high quality bench rest type or do I have him mixed up with another gentleman?

Boolit Master

Cobwebs here too. I have a Hoch nose pore 500 grain 45-70 mold I haven't put the heat to in a number of years. I think I'll wake up the old girl and create some whoppers.

Nice mold.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Mold
    I just stumbled across this thread. I was doing some searching for R.Hoch thinking it is the same person who made some of my bullet molds. I have a Winchester High Wall with octagon barrel stamped R Hoch at the breech end. What is unique is that it is 32-40 with a false muzzle. It had been sitting in a friends safe for many years and he has decided to part with it. Does anyone know if Hoch did traditional color case hardening or did he use the chemical method? The interior parts have colors which surprised me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Knowing Mr. Hoch, he would probably have used the traditional method. IIRC, Mr. Hoch sold his barrel machinery to Dave Fansler, who also made some good barrels. Then it went to a gun shop in Walsenburg, I believe, which went out of business years ago. I would like to have had the machinery!!! I think he, Mr. Hoch and another person had Colorado Custom Bullets for awhile, which was sold and ended up being Barnes Bulllets, IIRC.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Knowing Mr. Hoch, he would probably have used the traditional method. IIRC, Mr. Hoch sold his barrel machinery to Dave Fansler, who also made some good barrels. Then it went to a gun shop in Walsenburg, I believe, which went out of business years ago. I would like to have had the machinery!!! I think he, Mr. Hoch and another person had Colorado Custom Bullets for awhile, which was sold and ended up being Barnes Bulllets, IIRC.
    I think you got that right or mostly right - I am not sure about the Barns bullet part. I know for sure he (Richard Hoch) owned Barns Bullets for a time and it wasn't much when he got it and he improved it a lot and sold it. Don't hold me to this as what I knew way back when is half forgotten now.
    Also, I believe when Dave Franser took the barrel operation in Montrose, Colo he remained it Black Bear and he was offering gain twist barrels as part of his line. I have a flyer of his around here somewhere..... an old flyer!
    I did not know what happened when he got out.
    I went to high school with Richard Hoch's grandson in the late 1960's and heard a lot of stories, never met Richard.
    Chill Wills