RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choices for Single Stage press!

One thing that an earlier post commented on. People often base their recommended press on the one they have had good service from "for 20 years" or similar long period of time. Which is sensible but ignores any changes to materials, workmanship or feature enhancements if buying that "same" press new today. Also may somewhat ignore current market prices. Presses that were competitively priced and manufactured in the USA 25 years ago may now be premium brand priced and made in China.

You will pay more for the best possible construction and materials since these both have an increased cost to the manufacturer. You may pay more for something that has an indefinite lifetime warranty. Honoring that warranty has a cost to the manufacturer. However these things also tend to prop up resale price of used models. I would go with the Lee Classic Cast (not quick change) as a new press but if time permits would also consider a comprehensive search for one of the classics from decades pasts at a good price. You may have to search for awhile, and get a little lucky but if you have the time for the hunt that classic found at a good price can be a rewarding purchase.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I've never regretted the RockChucker. Has served well for almost 30 years. It will easily outlast me. There were and still are less and more expensive presses out there. The fit/finish are great, and the warranty is second to none.

Boolit Buddy
    I would say the co-ax simply because you don't need shell holders and it's drops spent primers into a separate container which keeps the press pretty clean. I also own a rock chucker and it's a good press. The co-ax is double the price but you won't remember won't you spent 5 years from now when you still own the press. Consider your reloading gear a lifetime investment from the start and the price differences won't hurt as much. Im a proponent of the buy once cry once theory. At least that's what I always tell myself.

Banned

The O/P gave his price range, why are members wasting space? The Co-Ax is regarded to be as good as it gets in a single stage, but it is twice what his budget is. Why stop at the Co-Ax? You can get a CH4D Rock Chucker for $1,500. I think it makes sense, based on the stated budget, to get any of the three listed, you will not regret any of them. I would go with the Rock Chucker or the Classic Cast, but the Redding is a beast. There are no bad choices among those three.

Single Stage Press = RCBS Rock Chucker
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

In the OPs price range I would recomend the RCBS Rock chucker as the history of the company its reputatytation and the numbers made speak volumnes abot this unit. A used one might be found at gun shows or internet but they are grabbed up pretty quick. Another good well desighned single stage to look at is the lyman Oarnge crusher. Good materials heavy solid frame and lots of leverage for heavy work. Check some different sites and see whats available used and dont hesitate as most presses arnt close to worn out after 20-30 years service. A used co ax might fall into OPs budget even. Another thought is for very accurate ammo a Ahrbor press and wilson straight line dies are very good combination also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    + 3 Lee Precision Classic Cast
    +4
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Master
    Early 70s I bought a lightly used RCBS Jr (along with a Lyman Loobsizer) off a FT Carson soldier who was deploying. Used it for years until I picked up a lightly used Rock Chucker at a garage sale (I think they were divorcing and HERSELF was selling HIS 'stuff'). Anyway, the RC has been mounted on the bench permanently and the Jr is in a range reloading box, well used but in very good condition. Rock Chucker is a good press.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I have2 rock chuckers and a partner Jr all 20 plus years old never a problem with them I vote RCBS

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I owned a USA made RCBS Rock Chucker. Bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage. Within 3 months or less, the Lee had pushed the RCBS single stage off my bench into the for sale pile. Being that I really liked that RCBS and own an RCBS Pro 2000 auto advance now, that tells you a lot.

Best Regards,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Tried plenty of other presses bases on the whimsical musings of nostalgia. The Lee CC would be my choice again.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master

Choices for Single Stage press!

I own a Rockchucker and Lee Classic Cast along w/ a bunch of others. Of those two I prefer the Lee. Has plenty of power and the hollow ram seals the deal. Plenty of people use the Lee for swaging bullets so if you're just reloading you won't break it.

Boolit Master
    I own four different designed single stages, of the four one would fit in your price range. It is by far the most versatile single stage I have ever came across or used.

- largest single stage ram in production
    - can utilize LNL press conversion bushing
    - only press I know of to have an arbor bushing conversion kit for Wilson dies
    - excellent primer collection
    - lifetime warranty
    - ambidextrous press
    - no bench overhang
    - warranty second to none in the industry
    - optional short handle kit - owners manual give instructions when utilizing the short handle kit and bullet seating, how to adjust it to increase the amount of "feel" or feedback to the operator
    - compact design yet does heavy case forming chores without a hiccup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	136852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	136852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1025.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	136853

There is a podcast on the Personal Armament where they interviewed Redding. I was thoroughly impressed with the workmanship and even though the press I bought is the largest single stage they make, is out of your budget range. I also like the COAX as pointed out earlier in posts, but it too is priced over your 200.00 range. Out of the four single stages I own, only one has a cast steel frame, the rest are cast iron. Unfortunately there is nothing new or innovative in presses. Just reinventions of older stuff. The latest press, the Summit, resembles the Wamadet. Too bad the Summit doesn't have the capabilities to use lube/size dies like the Wamadet.

take care,

r1kk1

Banned

That would be a good choice. I like the flush design of the Summit.

Boolit Master
    My choice is easy for me, the Forster Co-ax, if you require more leverage for forming cases the Redding Ultra-mag, if you can't afford either go with the Rockchucker.

Boolit Master
    China makes reloading presses??????????????????????????????

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    China makes reloading presses??????????????????????????????
    Yes, SmartReloader comes to mind immediately. RCBS and Lyman have products made there but I don't recall if presses are.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for Lee CC. It pushed a Rock Chucker off my bench due to overall satisfaction with the respective presses and Lee's guarantee is as good as any, for whatever anybody's is worth now days. You'll get top quality work with Lee from a lifetime press and you'll have money left to go toward more equipment!

And about China's stuff:
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Yes, SmartReloader comes to mind immediately. RCBS and Lyman have products made there but I don't recall if presses are.
    A kid living near me bought one of those SmartReloader presses from China. On first sight I thought it was a black Lee. Looked the same from the next room. The kid says it's junk cause the ram is misalined.

Don't buy Smart Reloader, every youtube vid I've seen they're broken. lol They copied Lee anyway on the one press. I'd go with Lee, but what about a classic turret. I got mine for about a $100.00 off amazon with free shipping. You can use it as a single stage or if you want to crank out some range ammo quickly for pistol or AR. The classic kit is like $220.00, a little over your budget but would get you a lot of goodies. Just an idea.
    Bring the smoke!

Boolit Master

First, good luck on only one press.

Second, I started on a RockChucker. Currently I have a Summit, Co-Ax, Redding T-7, and a couple of Dillon progressives. If I had to cut down to one and only one, heartbreaking as it might be, I would pick the Co-Ax. It operates smoothly, no shellholders, and quick die changes. Put an LED light strip in it and it's perfect. Pricey, yes, but you really won't be sorry if you buy one.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell