Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm in the mood for a good Western!

Open Range gets my vote for a recent western. The way folks missed an awful lot (even at pretty short ranges) and Kevin Costner having to stop and load on a regular basis, along with touches like the rough accommodations under a tarp for a rain storm just being taken for granted helped make Open Range an especially well done movie.

Unforgiven was also pretty darn good, never was sure if he was a pretty good guy that got very mean when drinking, or a pretty bad guy that tried really hard to live up to his wife's better expectations.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

The Long Riders,with the Keach and Carradine brothers.Story of James' and Younger's.You won't regret this one!!

"I spent 14 years in the Army,and 7 trying to get out".--Cole Younger
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Will Penny with Charlton Heston
    Last edited by Dirtdgger; 03-09-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Takes most of a weekend, but "Centennial" is pretty good. Don't think you'll find it on cable, satellite or youtube, but it is available on DVD.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    The first western movie to bear the title "the Unforgiven" (1960) is a true epic with elements of greek tragedy, Shakespeare couldn't have done better.
    Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audey Murphy, even the guy who played Dr No. All star cast of great actors.

Boolit Master
    bite the bullet with gene Hackman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The first western movie to bear the title "the Unforgiven" (1960) is a true epic with elements of greek tragedy, Shakespeare couldn't have done better.
    Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audey Murphy, even the guy who played Dr No. All star cast of great actors.
    The book it's based on is written by Alan Lemay, same author as The Searchers, and it's every bit as good, maybe better. The movie absolutely sucked by comparison, even a cast like Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audey Murphy and Lillian Gish with a director like John Ford couldn't save it.

Glad Seraphim Falls made the list, good movie and real different and not widely known it seems.

Another good one I haven't seen mentioned is The Oxbow Incident.

Boolit Buddy
    "Ride the High Country" Enjoy........

Boolit Buddy
    "Ride the High Country" Enjoy

Boolit Grand Master

If you liked Open Range you'll like Broken Trail. Robert Duvall pretty hard to beat. Lonesome Dove, of course but there are other movies in that series. All are actually quite good IMHO.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

What? And no one even mentioned the greatest western in history, Once Upon a Time in the West? Sacrilege!

Here's a hint. Just order the Encore Western channel and you'll get your fill of western programming with films already mentioned here like The Shootist, Silverado, Red River, Quigley Down Under, et al. My wife and I have a ritual where we always watch even for a few minutes just after climbing into bed. She won't take no for an answer on this one either. As soon as we get upstairs, she points at the TV and says "John Wayne!" thus giving me the my marching orders until she drifts off to sleep.
    Ready, fire, AIM!

Boolit Master

If you want a shoot em up,

Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

Blondy, Angel Eyes.......and Tuco

Boolit Master

If you want a tear jerker,

Three Godfathers

Now, that's Sacrilege that it wasn't mentioned yet.

Boolit Master

For a comedy

Nothing funnier than Cat Ballou

Boolit Master

Jeremiah Johnson

The west before the cowboys.

Ride with the Devil, if you like Civil War about Guerrilla Fighters in Missouri

Boolit Master
    Well, another not mentioned was Bandolero! with Dean and Jimmy Stewart.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Buddy
    Once upon a time in the west . Great acting and a great story. Fonda and Bronson were never better tks ken

Boolit Grand Master

Open Range has the best shootout ever filmed, and overall is a
    really great western.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've got to throw in Cheyenne Social Club.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!