Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative tool for crowning a barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Carriage bolt chucked in a drill and lapping compound the Russians probably used a rock when they built those things

Boolit Master
    It could very easily give an off-center crown if it cut as quickly as a carbide burr. But it doesn't. The conventional theory of lapping is that the abrasive embeds itself in the softer of the two contacting metals, and cuts the harder one, which would be the ball-bearing. A brass ball should do nicely. You will probably find some, possibly with a threaded hole, if you do a search with exclusions like -valve to keep plumbing out of it.

In the end it is easier to just buy the Brownells tool.... It will last a long time and if you only want to use it once, you can do that and sell it in the classifieds for about $10 less than you paid. I'd imagine it would sell in about 30 minutes.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Since the OP has access to a metal lathe, he has a ton of Work-Arounds available to him. The brass screw method was mentioned but the counter point to that was the potential for an oblong muzzle opening if the brass-screw-head isn't held in such a way as to grind uniformly.

With the metal lathe, a guy could turn a brass, aluminum or delrin guide-nipple that slips over the muzzle. This nipple would have a center hole drilled through it that is the diameter of the brass screw shank. The nipple would hold the brass screw head at the perfectly concentric angle to the mouth of the muzzle.

If the shank of the screw is long enough, it could be chucked up in a hand drill. In this manner, the brass screw couldn't help but grind a near perfect crown.

It would be similar to using a guide when cleaning the bores of our rifles so as not to go off center and scrape the walls of our actions or barrel interiors.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    In the end it is easier to just buy the Brownells tool.... It will last a long time and if you only want to use it once, you can do that and sell it in the classifieds for about $10 less than you paid. I'd imagine it would sell in about 30 minutes.
    Those must be pretty good classifieds, if they find people a lot more ready to pay $165 than they are $175 here. A lot of their tools may be worthwhile for the gunsmith, who costs up his time and must know exactly how he can do a job quickly. But there is often an alternative that will do the job far more cheaply and just as well, for the person who will only use it once.

Boolit Grand Master

That is where the figure 8 pattern of movement came about. By hand it stays centerd and the 8 shapped pattern lapping keeps the ball or svrew head round and cutting evenly. Another benifit is lines "cross" over each other giving a better finish. Work a few mins turn barrel a 1/4 turn repeat thru full rotation of barrel. Most cutters will leave a small burr cutting and this removes that also.

Boolit Master
    Got an email from PTG, 4-6 weeks. Im thinking they need to work on their business model. So cancelled my order. I saw a brownells cutter on ebay recently, I was going to big but as tends to happen w ebay, the auction price was just shy of a NIB cutter. Ill just break down and pay Brownells for the cutter, pretty sure I can come up with some guides for a little less than the $25 ea they want, and can fashion some sort of handle.

This is the sort of tool that if you had it, would get used more.

Perm-Banned
    glad i bought mine from brownells years ago. cost a lot less. can make perfect crowns with it. the last finish after cutting the crown is punch a hole in 250 through 1500 grit sand paper and place it over the cutter with smooth paper towards the cutter so edge isnt hurt. can end up with a perfect crown that is as smooth as chrome. done dozens of them. if a pilot isnt quite the right size wrap it carefully in paper. wouldnt be with out that tool.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the manson military crowning kit as well and it's the berries. It's better than a lathe due to the quick setup time yet sam. The brownells crowning tool and other similar types it very likely to crown out of square with the bore slightly.

Dave manson has wonderful customer service as well
    http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current...%20Catalog.pdf

page 17. 125$ well spent! Additional calibers dirt cheap. Remember to use a cordless screwdriver. A variable speed drill is still to fast!

I'm basing my resale estimate on what I've seen similar tools sell for here. The .4525 throating reamers for example.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master
    I had a piloted bit I had bought to back bore a 45-70, but never used, it made a very nice 90degree crown on the barrel. Still need to break down and buy a proper tool for more important jobs.

PTG finally got back to me, I had clicked on 'buy now' in one of their 11 degree cutters for 30 cal. It didnt say in stock or not. They sent me an email, I guess they dont stock such tools but make them when ordered, so 4-6 weeks. I told them no way, so they charged me a 20% restocking fee to refund my money. Guess I will think long and hard before I buy from them again.

Cleaned them up before with a round head brass screw chucked in a variable speed drill and valve grinding compound.

It doesn't get much cheaper than this and it works just like brownells.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/1929.htm

Boolit Master
    The CNC pilots are way more reasonable, but the cutters are about same price as Brownells.

Boolit Grand Master

File the end of the barrel square, then lap with one of thesehttp://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/muzzle-lapping-tools/power-custom-brass-muzzle-crowning-lap-p
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Can't fit in lathe means you need a bigger lathe IMHO r a CNC turner.

Boolit Master
    A bigger lathe wouldn't help I dont think, its to short now to go thru the head stock a bigger lathe would just be worse.

I got it whooped with tools I had.

PTG sent me an email, basically said yea we know our website doesnt work that well, most people just call, were working on it, sucks being you, were still keeping the 20%. Brownells and CNC warrior are both a few bucks less on the tool.

Have you tried Grizzly, they also sell ptg and a lot of specialty gunsmith tools and cutters and chamber reamers.

http://www.grizzly.com/

Post Neway Manufacturing, Inc website

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Neway makes the cutters that you see in good automotive shops for valve seats.
    If you go directly to Neway, you can get their small series cutters in 0° 11° 15° and 20° varieties.
    Cool, the old retrobate has been looking at re-crowning his 32-40.

http://www.newaymfg.com/frame.htm

http://www.mendham.com.au/equipment/...ts-spareparts/
    Last edited by ohland; 03-11-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    PTG is apparently way behind or only has one guy working or something. Their not in stock anywhere, it was 4-6 weeks direct from PTG. I dont need one today anyways, so will shop around.