Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: age of boolet caster's

Boolit Master
    65, been casting since 1965, WW + mould + casting pot + lubrisizer = independence. Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    57, shooting since I was 10, casting since about 1975.

Three of my grandsons shoot silhouette with me at times. Ages 14,9 and 8. All started when they were 8.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    61 and can't believe it. Always been interested in guns, but only started indulging in them seriously about 35 years ago. Got into reloading and casting very soon after, and machining and tool accumulation soon after that; never seem to lose interest.

Boolit Buddy
    27 this year. been shooting for 6 years. reloading and casting for 2 years now. Wife 28 just got her into shooting
    no kids yet
    Quickshot

Razor

39. for a few more months.
    Been hunting since I was 9, loading for 14 years, casting for 11. Got the wife into hunting 4 years ago, 12 year old step-daughter, 3 years ago. One annual guarantee, the girls insist on squirrel hunting EVERY year. Guess I did alright?
    shrek
    if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer!

Boolit Grand Master

69 and counting! Have cast for well over 45 years!
    1Shirt!

Age histogram through post #107

Age.....Number
    -------------------------------------
    20-25...X
    26-30...XXXXXXXX
    31-35...XXXX
    36-40...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    41-45...XXXXXXXXXXX
    46-50...XXXXXX
    51-55...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    56-60...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    61-65...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    66-70...XXXXXXXX
    71-75...XXX
    76-80...X

-ktw

Boolit Master
    Turned 67 yesterday! Been casting since 1962 thanks to an old AF sargeant who showed me "the ropes" with a 429360. That was the only mould we could buy thru the Loring AFB rod and gun club at the time. I've since discovered a whole bunch of 44 designs that will outshoot the 429360. I have a son 39 who I shoot and hunt with, but haven't been able to get interested into casting yet due to his time constraints. He is also content to let Dad reload for all his guns. I have introduced his two sons 8 and 10 into reloading and they love helping Papa. The oldest shot his first deer on our place last fall with a 250 Sav Ruger 77 and a 105g cast boolit. Life is grand! Our daughter is 38 and lives in the Seattle area. I taught her to shoot the .44 mag with light loads when she was a teenager. There is still hope for her and her boy and girl 10 and 5.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Man
    69 Been retired about 12 years. Have been casting about 20 yrs.

TGM

As for me 39 years old 3 kids, 6, 10 and 12 . wonderful wife that puts up with my nonsence ! Would have it any other way!!!!!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I am 47. Have been reloading for 22 years and casting for about 8 years. The real fun didn't start until I stopped buying commercial lead bullets and started making my own. I have learned alot on this forum on how to make better boolits more efficiently.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Buddy
    Going to turn 49 later this year. Been casting for 37 years now! A son in his late 20's that when I started him out hunting near 20 years ago, never dreamed he would be hunting sometimes 8 different States in a year! I do all his casting and reloading though. I have a daughter that owns and shoots a dandy 1908 Winchester 38-55 and a wife that owns nearly as many guns as I do............ok, that is a stretch, but she not only owns quite a few but is a frightenly great shot!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Turned 67 yesterday! Been casting since 1962 thanks to an old AF sargeant who showed me "the ropes" with a 429360. That was the only mould we could buy thru the Loring AFB rod and gun club at the time. I've since discovered a whole bunch of 44 designs that will outshoot the 429360. I have a son 39 who I shoot and hunt with, but haven't been able to get interested into casting yet due to his time constraints. He is also content to let Dad reload for all his guns. I have introduced his two sons 8 and 10 into reloading and they love helping Papa. The oldest shot his first deer on our place last fall with a 250 Sav Ruger 77 and a 105g cast boolit. Life is grand! Our daughter is 38 and lives in the Seattle area. I taught her to shoot the .44 mag with light loads when she was a teenager. There is still hope for her and her boy and girl 10 and 5.
    Happy birthday, Shuz!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'm 67 and have been casting since 1964. That isn't counting some attempts with an old round ball mold and an old double barrel with one set of barrels being a shotgun and the other about a .44 caliber rifle.

Boolit Master
    Halfway between 59 and 60! Casting since 1967--a shot-out 38/40 1892 Winchester complete with a single cavity 401043 and a #310 tong tool and boolit sizer. They've all vanished into the mist.

I made the circle from Ruger single actions (in 1970) to double action Smith & Wesson revolvers to 1911s to S&W 645s back to Ruger BLACK HAWKS/BISLEYS and Original Size VAQUEROS for Cowboy Action Shooting.

The tong tool has been replaced by a Dillon 550 and a Star lubri-sizer! Plus 4 or 6 cavity moulds.

Man, there's been a lot of changes in this!!!!!

52 and shooting since I was about 7.

John

Boolit Master
    55. Been casting since high school, could shoot a co2 rifle pretty well before I started first grade. In all those years I have only met 2 other guys that cast. Learned a lot by trial and error but learned a lot more in the couple of years since I found this place.

Boolit Bub
    I have to agree most of us older folks seem to make up the majority of the cast boolit users. I've tried to introduce some of the younger folks to the way of the cast boolits; but most don't want to spend the extra time to make em themselves. They don't know what they are missing do they? At least I got some interested in the reloading part. I learned about reloading from my wife's uncle; first shot shells then later on the old 30/30 with them new condum bullets; later on when I could afford to buy a center fire pistol that's when I really got into casting my own. My folks didn't hunt--- my wife's family did that's where I got the huntin fever. I was always interested in history; especially the civil war era. My first revolver was a replica colt walker. It's the only firearm that I've ever parted with since I started collecting them. Two of my three boy's hunt all three shoot and only one reloads his own none cast yet. There is still hope. My daughter and my wife both shoot and seem to enjoy it. I'm now 58 and I still learn here everyday. Though I don't write much I do lurk around here alot; my favorite place on the net. I now own about 70 rifles and 10 handguns or so. None of them special; mainly WW2 era; but I do love them.Like someone said on this forum" I reload and cast for the majority of 'em. I guess maybe it's because I am frugal and I like the sense of being somewhat independent. If I save money on the ammo that means I can buy another rifle . So many guns....so little time.

I'm 54 - two grown daughters. Starting loading in Colorado over 20 years ago. Didn't get into casting until about two years ago. Wish I hadn't waited so long! Although while raising a family I wouldn't have been able to afford "saving" this much money!
    Last edited by LET-CA; 03-22-2008 at 02:43 AM.