Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Winchester bulk .22LR ammo Garbage,,, or is it just me?

Le Loup Solitaire
    I bought a case of Remington thunder"duds" a few years ago and while the accuracy isn't too bad, the number of ftf's is astounding. Sometimes I can get 3-4 in a row. It is definitely not the stuff you want to take to the line in a comp match. I turn the duds a half turn,try again and use them, if they work, for plinking hoping to get some of them to fire; if its still no go I pull them and save the lead. I still have around 1/3 of a case left and then I'll shop for something else. LLS

Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    I bought a case of Remington thunder"duds" a few years ago and while the accuracy isn't too bad, the number of ftf's is astounding. Sometimes I can get 3-4 in a row. It is definitely not the stuff you want to take to the line in a comp match. I turn the duds a half turn,try again and use them, if they work, for plinking hoping to get some of them to fire; if its still no go I pull them and save the lead. I still have around 1/3 of a case left and then I'll shop for something else. LLS
    The more I hear about the Remington Thunderbolt, the more confused I have become Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have been shooting these "awfull bullets" thru my TC contender with a 14 " match chamber bbl. and cannot remember 1 solitary misfire? Not that I am complaining , I just feel a little left out LOL! I am currently working my way thru a couple of bricks ( bulk 525 packs ) of Remington , no misfires thru the 10/22 yet. The only ammo that it seems not to like is the fed bulk stuff, not due to misfires as much as how dirty they are to shoot!

Boolit Master

I pick up dropped/discarded FTF 22lr ammo.
    Most of the discarded FTF ammo has a very light firing pin strike.
    I think shooters tend to not clean rim fire guns as often as they should....dale

Boolit Master

I am not surprised that we're finding more "variance" in the .22 long rifle product lines due to the crazy demand and increased production schedules. I'm sure they're in a good enough mode.

The Wildcats and Thunderbolts for me have ALWAYS been at least 5% duds. And dirty as a coal mine.

I pretty much skip anything sold in a bulk carton, milk carton, ect. Packed like that doesn't help the cartridge out in it's journey. I saw too many loose bullets in their casings. I wonder how much that causes a change in velocity with the varied crimp pressure. Can't be helpful. The much hated golden bullet? I like them, but only in the bricks of 50 count paper boxes. I use them for dispatching sick, injured, rabid critters all the time. Just shot a chicken thieving fox a week ago. In the ruger bolt it's plenty accurate, under an inch at 50yds.

Boolit Master

Right now if it has 22LR on the box someone will buy it. The manufacturers have put quality on the back burner and replaced it with quantity especially on their bulk or promotional brand. Most promo ammo is burnt up shooting at pop cans through a marlin 60. Most consumers of promo ammo are not bothered by the lack of quality.
    I usually stick with CCI std. Vel. And I have some Aguilar SV. Both are reliable and accurate but the Aguilar has some variation in bullet diameter. It works fine in a bolt but in some autos it is a problem.
    I shot some Winchester T-22 that was 5-6 years old and it was not as good as I remember previous lots. It had accuracy and reliability issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    The more I hear about the Remington Thunderbolt, the more confused I have become Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have been shooting these "awfull bullets" thru my TC contender with a 14 " match chamber bbl. and cannot remember 1 solitary misfire? Not that I am complaining , I just feel a little left out LOL! I am currently working my way thru a couple of bricks ( bulk 525 packs ) of Remington , no misfires thru the 10/22 yet. The only ammo that it seems not to like is the fed bulk stuff, not due to misfires as much as how dirty they are to shoot!
    My experience exactly. I've still got eight or ten bulk pacs that I've been hoarding.

Boolit Master
    I have about 10,000 rounds of "golden bullet" I bought in the early 90's. It fires consistently in every 22 I own. About 6-7 years ago I got some more in bulk for $9 a brick, and it has a disgusting failure rate. I will shoot it up before I touch the early stuff. I like many have lost faith in Remington products. Rod

Boolit Mold
    I had some failure to fire in a Winchester bulk box. I emailed the company and received a phone call a couple of weeks later. They emailed a shipping label to me so I could send the remaining cartridges back. They also said that if I wanted a replacement box, that I should include a copy of my d.l. They also wanted any dud rounds that I could find. The lady I dealt with was very nice and did what she said she would. Let them know. It might pay off

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Ruger MKI that thinks Winchester Wildcat is target ammo. Most of it is pretty old, stash has lasted thru a few "shortages".
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Had some of the same problems. Couldnt even get them to feed in a bolt action 22. Only gun that ran them was my trusty old winchester model 63 semi auto.

Perma-Banned

Not as bad as Remington.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    I don't shoot much of the bulk pack stuff anymore except through pistols. I have noticed that almost ALL bulk .22 ammo bought since @2008 has higher misfire rates and worse accuracy than the older stuff I've got stored up.

Oddly enough, the one "bulk" brand that I haven't noticed getting worse is Winchester Dynapoints. I get zero misfires and decent accuracy. Best of all, it consistently stays subsonic in my suppressed 10-22.

As far as people complaining about the smell of Aguila, all I can say is that they go bang every time I pull the trigger. Their "Golden Eagle" target stuff is also about as accurate as CCI standard velocity.

Maybe Winchester, Remington and Federal should try adding some burro feces to their priming compound. It might help and it sure as heck couldn't make it much worse!

I love CCI standard velocity or subsonic, but they're as scarce as hens teeth in my AO. Aside from the Dynapoints, CCI is about it as far as affordable, reliable, American made .22 ammo goes these days.

If someone had told me 30 years ago, that in the future, Mexican made .22 ammo would be of higher quality than the products of Federal, Winchester and Remington, I'd have laughed in their face.

I don't see anything at all funny about it now.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I pick up dropped/discarded FTF 22lr ammo.
    Most of the discarded FTF ammo has a very light firing pin strike.
    I think shooters tend to not clean rim fire guns as often as they should....dale
    Guess I'm not the only one doing that! I find they have a firing pin mark on the rim, so someone tried to shoot it once. I run them through whatever 22LR I have with me (Contender, 10/22, 22/45, Neos, Henry), and they work on the first strike. I can only guess that the original shooter had a problem with light strikes or dirty guns. I suspect dirty guns as the primary reason. Hearing about people who don't like to clean their weapons, reinforces that. Add to that that 22LR is about the dirtiest cartridge out there.

I'm one of the lucky ones. Rem GB work fine for me. I got them in the Bulk Pack because that's what the maker of the Glock 22LR conversion kit recommended. No complaints, and I've got a couple of thousand put up. I also shoot a lot of suppressed, so I prefer plated 22LR over plain lead. I prefer the CCI subsonic because it's plated; but also use the Rem subsonic (because it was available in quantity). Several thousand of those put up over the years (a brick here, a brick there, and it adds up).

Most of my bulk packs are from before the most recent crisis; so if there has been a fall off in quality, I've not seen it. I recently got two bricks of CCI quiet from Midway (talk about quick on the draw!). Haven't tried it yet; but with a choice of guns, I'm sure I'll find something that will shoot it. If it won't cycle the semis, there's always the Henry. If it doesn't feed or extract easily, there's always the Contender or the Handi. It's good to have options.

Hopefully my supply of good stuff will last until the issues are resolved. The only good thing is that hoarders have most of the bad ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    I had issues with older Remington Golden bullet-not the "NEW And Improved Priming" and Thunderbolts, some lots of Federal bulk, and some Winchester bulk. FTF, inconsistent velocities etc. just rotate the duds and try again. if after three tries it still doesn't go bang, put it back in the box, and write a {polite expressing disappointment, not a "RANGE RAGE" letter} to the manufacturer and after shipping it to the respondent address, in the original box through a UPS hub (marking package with ORM-D stickers before you get there) I usually get coupon for more of the company's product.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive had a different experience with the Win bulk. My XT22 bolt action loves the 555 bulk! Not a issue, and more accurate then any other bulk stuff Ive feed it.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    I recently got two bricks of CCI quiet from Midway (talk about quick on the draw!). Haven't tried it yet; but with a choice of guns, I'm sure I'll find something that will shoot it. If it won't cycle the semis....
    It won't.
    Better get the Henry ready.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had excellent luck with CCI 22 LR ammo over all other makes in terms of reliability and consistency. Even their Blazer cheep stuff runs in my 2 most cranky self-loaders......the SIG Mosquito and an older Winchester 290. Surprisingly, the 290 fed and functioned about 60% of the time with CCI Quiets. The down side--I haven't seen CCI rimfire ammo for sale anywhere for over 2 years. I have enough to hunt with, and to sight-in rifles to hunt with. The sitch is still preposterous, like a Third World distribution scam.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Possumcop View Post
    It won't.
    Better get the Henry ready.
    And the Contender and Handi. Options are good.

Most promo ammo is burnt up shooting at pop cans through a marlin 60
    My 35 year old Marlin Model 60 was far more accurate than my 10-22 until I'd spent about seven times as much on a barrel and trigger work for the 10-22 as the Marlin cost brand new (there WAS 30 years worth of inflation in that equation).

Point is that the Marlin Model 60 is an excellent rifle, especially when you consider their low cost.

The more I think about it, I probably learned more about shooting from plinking at cans and garbage dump rats with cheap ammo than I have from my more recent activities with much more expensive rifles and ammunition.

Admittedly, there was a lot of free instruction (and ammo!) in between from the friendly DI's when I spent a few years with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
    Last edited by Possumcop; 11-21-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Marlin Model 60s are excellent little rifles. I've had very good fortune with Ruger 10/22s in terms of functional reliability and field accuracy. My most recent 10/22 was a beater I bought while killing time during one of Marie's summer teacher training gigs a few years back. The hotel hosting the soiree was a couple miles from The Stockade in Westminster, CA.......best feature of the whole gig, in my view.

I meant to do a Volquartsen/Hogue mondo makeover on this rifle's receiver, but once I got the little monster cleaned up it didn't appear to have been shot much. A review of aftermarket parts price listings set off alarms for me, so I bought a scope mount & rings and attached a whatzis 4X and headed rangeward. I brought a mix of ammo makes, and a couple types hovered at or near 1" at 50 yards once I got barrel and scope looking in the same direction. That range trip saved me a boatload of cash, and that little Ruger still hunts quite well with the Scope With No Name. Moral Of The Story--don't turn wrenches on things that ain't broke.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.