WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2

Thread: Flying Tigers

Flying Tigers

Whatever!

Boolit Master

You should read "God is My Co-Pilot" by Col.Robert L. Scott. All the details of the AVG and it is the book that started me in aviation. I just reread it a year ago as a free download on my Nook. My Father also worked at the Curtiss plant here in Buffalo NY during the war helping to build P-40's. Thanks for the article.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Man, I appreciate the link. I've always been interested in the tigers and AVG. Love the Battle of Salween Gorge where they really kicked b--t.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, you could still go in the gully below the Gulch and dig around and find pieces of stainless from P-40s. From accounts, all of the P-40 assembly and test flights were done in Kunia Tunnel and the Gulch below Wheeler AFB.

I love that time in history./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    My uncle worked at Curtiss also. Small world.

Paul in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    You should read "God is My Co-Pilot" by Col.Robert L. Scott. All the details of the AVG and it is the book that started me in aviation. I just reread it a year ago as a free download on my Nook. My Father also worked at the Curtiss plant here in Buffalo NY during the war helping to build P-40's. Thanks for the article.
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

I read "Air America" recently and they got a good mention in that.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on "God is My Co-Pilot". I loved the part on painting the spinner different colors.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

paint job was supposed to scare the troops. most don't think about the china/jap war.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a while since I read it. I understood it to be about the enemy thinking there were more airplanes fighting than there really was since he would fly out of different directions with each color change

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    paint job was supposed to scare the troops. most don't think about the china/jap war.
    If you noticed it has been in the news the past few years because of lingering Chinese hatred of the Japanese and the rise of Chinese power and the wane of Japans economy.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Just about every young boys dreams was to be a Flying Tiger pilot, in the 1950's that is, there's something about the drone of a 12 cylinder Allison V engine turning a propeller that stirs the emotions.

Claire Chenault was way under gunned ( an overall statement), the Warhawk vs Zero,but his pilots overcame the difference with superior tactics.

The Curtis P-40 served in the North African campaign also, with the Brit's (Tomahawks) and American forces, used as ground attack against troops and mechanized enemy forces.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master
    My grandfather was an engineer and helped build the majority of their landing strips, often times he was working directly with the indigenous population.

Boolit Buddy
    Met R.T "Bob" Smith, a pilot. Have his signature on a book he wrote.

Always dreamed of being one of the Tigers when I was a kid.

Don

Boolit Master
    My neighbor was "Snuffy" Smith. I still don't know what his real name was. Several years ago I was on a business trip in China with a person who also knew Snuffy. He would tell all the people there that he knew Snuffy Smith of the Flying Tigers. He may not have known the political history of that time.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

If you're interested in the AVG, you might want to seek out the book "The Lady And The Tigers", written by Olga Greenlaw, wife of the adjutant of the AVG and scribe for the unit. Dan Ford also wrote a couple of dandy books on the subject, and was recognized as the main expert on the subject.
    Another interesting book that is parenthetically associated is "Herman The German", By Gerhard Neuman. Neuman was a German citizen that got stranded in SE Asia, and was line chief for the AVG. Was granted citizenship in the US after the war by act of Congress, went on to work @ GE, and basically invented the J-79 engine that powered the F-4 Phantom and the F-104 Starfighter. The account of he & (American) wife driving by jeep from Hong Kong to Jerusalem blows one's mind, especially driving over dirt roads in Iran in the winter.
    Last edited by Echo; 10-17-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    More than a few former AVG members lived here in SA. Line crews mostly, but a couple of pilots. Many didn't think much of Scott. Oftentimes, the mention of the name of his book "God is my Co-Pilot" brought the response, "Yeah, and Christ was his crew chief". Usually followed by an obscenity or six...

Boolit Master

One thing you should take note of, all those pilots in their mid-20's looked like men
    and lived the life of men, so unlike the kid nowadays of the same age.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    Only met one individual who served with the AVG George Bailey he was my dad's boss on Eglin AFB and mom was his secretary. He was a Sgt. with the AVG but was given a commission when he enlisted in the Army Air Corp.