Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noe 360-230g-rf

Boolit Grand Master

Noe 360-230g-rf

My mold arrived today from NOE.
    I ordered it on Monday, Oct. 6th
    It arrived this morning, Oct. 8th.

That's plenty fast for me.

The mold is a pleasure to use. The bullets ( Made with ACWW's ) drop from the mold at .3602" and are near perfectly round.

Hornady g/cs make a nice " snap - click " fit onto the g/c shank.

For my own personal taste, I chose to shorten 1 of the HP pins that was provided with the mold. The photos will show what I did with the HP pin.

I can cast solids or hp bullets with this mold. A very versatile bullet mold. My two 358 Win. rifles and my Ruger # 1 .35 Whelen Ack Imp. will enjoy this bullet. DEER BEWARE ! !

The nose may " blow off " upon impact ? That's fine, there is a lot of alloy behind that portion of the bullet that will plow on through and make a good exit hole.

Last edited by Ben; 10-10-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    That looks great. Did you happen to weigh any?
    I'll be using mine in a 358 Winchester too. What speeds are you shooting for?

Boolit Grand Master
    KLR

Keep in mind that I shortened my HP pin a little bit, mine ( w/ the shortened HP pin ) are averaging about 219 grs. with no lube or g/c. My solids weigh 229.5 grs. ( The is very close to the 230 grains that is marked on the outside of the mold ). I had put in a " touch of Linotype " in my alloy to help with mold fill out. This may explain a slight loss in weight ?

I usually shoot my 358 Win. in the 1,800 - 1,900 fps range.I have about 6 or 7 other .35 cal. rifle molds, ranging in weight from 180 grs. - 290 grs.

At 1850 fps or so, the 358 Win. kills deer like lightening.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ben - Looks like a true winner for your rifles. I was in on the GB for this mould and just sent the order in today. I'm hoping to get this boolit to work in my Ruger Maximum, even if I have to shorten the brass just a hair for it to fit in the cylinder. I always have wanted a Whelen, but have too many irons in the fire now. As with others on this forum, I picked up a near new in the box Lyman 358009 DC a few years ago, but it has sat ever since. Best of luck with the new mould - Bill in MA
    Last edited by msp2640; 10-08-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Bill,

I'll post targets soon.

Ben

I just cast some of the deep HP's with COWW + 4 ounces 50/50 solder. They weigh 214gr +/- and the best I can tell they run .3605-.361 (dial caliper).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    KLR

Keep in mind that I shortened my HP pin a little bit, mine ( w/ the shortened HP pin ) are averaging about 219 grs. with no lube or g/c.

I have not weighed a solid yet ?

I usually shoot my 358 Win. in the 1,800 - 1,900 fps range.I have about 6 or 7 other .35 cal. rifle molds, ranging in weight from 200 grs. - 290 grs.

At 1850 fps or so, the 358 Win. kills deer like lightening.

Ben
    Thanks, Ben. I have the flat point version sitting at the post office now. I can't wait to try these big flat points on deer.

I sent a money order in on the group buy instead of using a card as i usually do as i wasn't in a particular hurry on this mould. Lol after seeing the pics i wish i had used the credit card. I can't believe how fast Al is getting these moulds out to everyone.
    Oh well, got it sent off today, so hopefully i'll have it sometime next week.

That is one awesome looking hollowpoint! Can't wait to see how this one is gonna shoot!

Boolit Bub
    I am very curious how well this will fit in a typical 358 chamber and how much of the base will be below the neck shoulder junction. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 that I'm thinking of trying this in.

Boolit Master

For those who may not know - This particular mold was designed specifically for the 35 Whelen.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-09-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Island Trash View Post
    I am very curious how well this will fit in a typical 358 chamber and how much of the base will be below the neck shoulder junction. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 that I'm thinking of trying this in.
    This is how it looks barely seated to the crimp groove in newly formed brass (empty brass=2.002, 2.465 OAL)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141009_22_27_02_Pro.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	118798

The longest that would reliably chamber in my BLR was 2.490.
    Last edited by g.man10mm; 10-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by g.man10mm View Post
    This is how it looks barely seated to the crimp groove in newly formed brass (empty brass=2.002, 2.465 OAL)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141009_22_27_02_Pro.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	118798

The longest that would reliably chamber in my BLR was 2.490.
    Thank you for that info. I think I may pass on this one. It does look like an excellent design, and I love the 30 cal version. Kind of makes me wish I had picked up that 35 Whelen in a Ruger No 1

Any one have any results to report, yet?

I started with 50.0gr IMR4350 using the 214gr HP version of the NOE RD 360-230 RF oven HT'd, sized to .360" and lubed with Ben's Red for my 35 Whelen at a C.O.A.L. of 3.015". The first shot at 100 yards almost missed the paper at 1 oclock. Lowered the settings on the scope, 12 down and 6 left. I think the next two shots settled the scope in. Or the bore was being "seasoned" with the new Ben's Red. The last 7 shots went into 2.615". Nothing special but, it's a start. The rounds fed like buttered sausages up the pipe from the magazine, real slick. You guys are going to love this boolit!

Good start yodogsandman. Glad to hear a report on them. Was that seated to the crimp groove?

I used resized 30-06 brass at 2.470". I seated to just cover the last lube groove. That might be right below the crimp groove on regular 35 Whelen brass at 2.494" length.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine's still in the box. POB, that is. Guess I better go pick it up, vacation starts Friday afternoon as soon as the boss looks the other way.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Mine showed up today, but I've got to wait till Christmas to use it. My wife is giving it to me as a gift. Little does she know, that now I have to buy a rifle to go with the mold. Sure, I could shoot it out of my 35 Rem or 358, but this one was made for the Whelen. It just makes sense, at least to me anyway.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Mine shipped today....can't wait! Those hollow point pic's look great.

Boolit Master
    I cast a few dozen today after work. I made a test round with the flat based bullet and chambered it in my 358 Win. Seated in the crimp groove, all the lube grooves are contained in the neck, the nose lightly contacts the throat, and I can barely make out where it is starting to touch the rifling. Both chambering and extraction are easy.
    So, I know this bullet was designed for the Whelen, but what would make this unsuitable for my 358 Win? I'm not trying to be argumentative to those who designed this bullet, but I'm relatively new to this and wanting to learn.

Bullets sized to .359. The one on the right has been tumble lubed and then chambered twice.

Ben, Let me know if you don't want my question in your thread and I'll move it.

Thanks.

KLR i don't think it's unsuitable for a 358 at all. I have a feeling Ben will be proving that shortly and you too. Can't wait to see some groups with this boolit out of whatever rifle.