Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stockpiling reloaded ammo vs. stockpiling components

Boolit Master
    I hoard components. I like to store them premeasured in little brass tubes.

Boolit Buddy
    I like to hoard some of both; my bug out location, if I'd actually have to leave a town of under 400 people, is under 5 miles away. That does leave me more likely than many to be able to get back to not only more loaded rounds, but the components to make them.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

I'm comfortable with 1000 loaded rounds on hand for each firearm in BruceB's favorite calibers and components for many more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    For my part, loaded ammunition is the only commodity that would have value TO ME in times of dire emergency.

Therefore, I also only keep ammunition in decent quantities for a selected few of the twenty-or-so calibers that I load. I have only incidental quantities of the other calibers.

The chosen calibers are dependent on the firearms I will rely upon, and thus are:

-.223/5.56
    -7.62 NATO/.308

-.30'06

-9mm

-.45 ACP

That list sure looks familiar, doesn't it?

In my situation there is no question of being able to evacuate. If it comes right down to it, here I am and here I will stay. Anyone wishing me harm is doing so at his grave peril.

Just the way things are, gents.
    Did you copy my list???????

Same as above
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Having a "reasonable" amount of both components AND ammunition is much like having a comfortable balance in the bank account. We sleep better and feel more secure in our lives.

Regardless of what we might actually use the ammo and components FOR, it's the same reason I give for concealed carry:

IT GIVES ME OPTIONS.

Options that I would not have, if I didn't carry a handgun, and options I would not have if I didn't have the components/ammunition.

By way of explaining my earlier post, I must point out that I do not have the options possessed by most people. I'm confined to a wheelchair, and whatever happens to me is indeed going to happen "right here". I think and hope that I'm as prepared as I possibly can be, but the proof of that remains to be seen.

My handloading is operating on components that were mostly purchased four, five, even ten years ago, and being a caster with 40,000 primers and eighty pounds of powder does allow some peace of mind. I suspect my "stash" will survive longer than I will, given 71 years and shaky health.

One day at a time, one day at a time.... keep looking at the top of the grass!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

"A man's intelligence may be assessed by the extent to which he AGREES with you."

(Or words to that effect).

Well, I have top-line, reliable rifles and handguns in all the mentioned calibers, and the brass is surely just about the easiest to find.... specifically including military brass, which gives us more OPTIONS (where have I heard that word recently???).
    Last edited by BruceB; 09-04-2014 at 12:29 AM.

If I have 1000 loaded rifle cases - how many times can I reload them - lets say 5 so for every case I need power, primers and either lead or precast boolits to make at least 5000. - That's the way I look at it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Love Life
    Meh. I had some of each until it flew off my truck and into the Mississippi River.

Boolit Master

I can't seem to leave empty brass sitting around. If it is there it is just screaming to be loaded. I shoot to cast and reload I guess! Must be a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Meh. I had some of each until it flew off my truck and into the Mississippi River.
    Don't tell me your firearms were all with them too?!?!

Love Life
    Nah, I sold the firearms to some fellow outside of a gunshow.

Glad to hear it. Those things are dangerous. Plus if you had then I'd have to go diving in the river... just to protect the children that is.

Boolit Master

I live in a subdivision of 31 upscale homes to upwardly mobile yuppies and retired professionals. I have spent five years figuring out which household has what supplies. After using my gun taking their supplies, I have figured which of the remainder would taste good if push really came to shove. If I can keep the zombies out, I should have a good five years worth of food and supplies if the neighbors taste as good as I think they would. The yuppies who are so opposed to guns and people with guns, would be the first ones plundered and eaten.

Years ago, an airplane on a medical evacuation flight in the Arctic went far off course and crashed. There was a fruitless search that lasted for weeks. A nurse, her patient, and a passenger were killed and the pilot badly injured. It was winter time and survival was extremely difficult.

Cannibalism became the final resort.

The company that owned the airplane was Gateway Aviation. For many years thereafter, the "in" joke in the area's flying community was that a "Gateway survival kit" was a knife, a fork, .... and a passenger.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The "Mountain Man Survival Kit" is the name and address of six Mormans.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

My knees are too shot to run, and my back can't handle the weight of a heavy rucksack for very long so I'll have to dig in and wait it out.
    I do keep a small bug bag in my rig. Mostly to give me enough supplies to make it home on foot if the roads are clogged with cars.
    My inventory is likely 80/20, componets/loaded ammunition.

I'm with Rush on this one.....I try to keep a fair share of both. Components are nice for barter, and for raising quick cash when you need it. In fact, I'm selling off some Krag brass right now to help cover some medical expenses. It does come in handy.... On the other hand....I also like to keep a healthy supply loaded, particularly for the primary defensive pieces. Everything in moderation....or something like that!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

I like to keep a modest stockpile of components on hand. I keep enough ammo reloaded for several months worth of my shooting needs. I never liked having an opportunity to go shoot arise, and then have to hurry loading ammo to use. I try to keep most of my brass loaded all the time. Having empty brass just seems like a waste of precious space. I replace brass as needed or when I find a good deal on bulk brass. I wasn't caught short in the last component shortage, and don't plan on being caught short in the next one. As far as some sort of uprising occurring, I'm sure I will have been over run long before I run out of loaded ammo, if it comes to that, so I don't worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoy having on hand enough loaded for present use, but having components for several years, leaves me with the most options.
    At 72 and having a wheelchair bound wife means bugging out is going to bed. We wont go easy, but we wont go upright.
    The empty store (ammo) shelves have been little more than a minor inconvenience, and a reason to dig out and check the home stored stock.

I buy what I want. I load what I feel like. The rest isn't going to matter. Life is short. Have fun. Make the most of it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.