MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: ESPC'd a few 223 boolits for a sanity check

ESPC'd a few 223 boolits for a sanity check

I cast about 1k 223 boolits from an NOE mold months ago but haven't coated them yet. I saw some small fender washers at Home Depot and tried them under NS foil. The GC shank perfectly punched through the foil and stayed upright. Another layer of foil might hold real tight, might try it. Haven't sized or GC'd yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0636.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	113565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0635.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	113566

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0637.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	113567
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The fender washer trick works really well!

(for those who haven't seen how we use fender washers)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...fically-30-cal
    Last edited by Beagle333; 08-14-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have been using this for a long time with great success on these little pills. Rather time consuming, but they will not fall over.

I have also tried the shake-n-dump on hardware cloth. They had about a 90% success rate with no lay marks. But the coating seemed rather thick. Still I have sent almost 400 of them down the tube with 22LR-type loads and full 223 loads with great success.

But ESPC still rules!

thanks for sharing the pix!

banger

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    The fender washer trick works really well!
    Ever since I saw yr posts about that I've been looking at fender washers just for the 223's. I saw those, my calibrated eyeball said the hole was pretty close to just right, so I tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Rather time consuming, but they will not fall over.
    ESPC still rules!

banger
    I'll hopefully get a little faster as I develop a technique. And buy a bunch more washers. And I'm totally done with DT, way too many uncertainties, ES is predictable and consistently perfect.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master
    The big problem with fender washers is they tend to shift around and then you cannot find the same holes in the NSAF the next time! I have now gone to using a dab of JB Weld (standard cure stuff) to tack the washers onto the thin aluminum flashing I put over my rack. They do not move around then.

"A little dab'll do 'ya!"

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Do they make fender washers big enough for 45-70 boolits? Fortunately these are PB'd, but I do have some GC ones that would be easier to handle on the tray if they were supported a bit.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Get a thick enough aluminum plate and drill holes to suit the diameter of your gas check shank. I use 1/2" thick aluminum plate drilled for different calibers on either side. 35 cal on one side and 30 cal on the other side. Also a plate for 30 cal on one side and 6.5mm on the other. Be sure to allow for the wobble of your drill bit. Cover with non stick aluminum foil, push the shank through the foil and good to go. Works great, the little heft keeps me from fumbling it. Even upside down most boolits stay in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED 35whelen 005.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Do they make fender washers big enough for 45-70 boolits? Fortunately these are PB'd, but I do have some GC ones that would be easier to handle on the tray if they were supported a bit.
    I stand 45's up on the base all the time and get them sprayed and in the oven with no domino effect. Just walk carefully and make sure the cat is not around my feet!

banger

I've cut several strong chunks of aluminum to make more trays with, one of them will get the washers glued. And probably 6-32 nuts on the other side, dual purpose tray.

I've been changing foil for each batch, otherwise they stick. Blanco had some flat black we sprayed and it was thin, no boolit-to-foil fillets. So I'm thinking the high gloss powder might require new foil each time but I'm fine with that.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Like Yodog Im a fan of using aluminum plates. Sometimes I use foil sometimes not. My daughter is part owner in a metal fab shop so I get some plates she gets to shoot all the powder coated boolits she can shoot. Works great for both of us. The washers work okay but I much prefer drilling proper holes in the plate and then as the mood strikes you can coat nose up or down. Do you want no coverage on the nose? Nose down, none on the gas check nose up, neither, cap one end or the other. This can be done on plate with foil or just punch them out with a little tap. For handgun bullets I transfer from the plates to a foil covered pan and then bake, again nose up or down depending on nose shape or the need to cover base or nose, most don't really need a cover on either and that gets use back to Yodog and my ideas on half jacket boolits. Love this stuff. GP

Boolit Buddy
    Jacketed 223 are worth every penny, just too skinny! I draw the line at .30

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    Jacketed 223 are worth every penny, just too skinny! I draw the line at .30

You DO have a point! I cast/coat 223 Bators for the H of it..............but..................I bought a boatload of 55gn 223 FMJBT's the other day for 5 cents each, so..............no brainer?

Those little things are PITA to cast and coat, but I try! I use them mainly for 22lr-type plinking loads. That keeps my cost below 5 cents a round! And it's fun to cast stuff.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I use AL sign material, drill holes that fit the GC shank and put wood runners on the bottom since the plate is so thin that the GS shank hang out the bottem. Cover the plate with foil smooth it out and push out the hole in the foil with a nail.

How well do the Bator bullets work with the PC bangerjim? Accuracy and, with a gas check and PC how fast do you think that they could be driven? I just got my mold and although it will be awhile before I get my stuff set back up (I just moved) I would like to try powder coating those little bullets. I plan to use these in a Handi-rifle .22 Hornet.

TreeKiller, how is old Red Bluff? I grew up there. We used to live West of town. Go Spartans!

Al
    “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Red bluff is getting to big should move to Manton or Paskenta but Paskenta is out of water and they are trucking water in to the "town" water tank. Live west of town also on Reeds Creek Rd.
    Dan

We lived near the old Minch Slaughter house. I thought it (Red Bluff) was to big in 1976.

Wow! Paskenta out of water.

Thanks for the response TreeKiller.
    Al
    “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin