Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing question on once shot .223 brass ?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Sizing question on once shot .223 brass ?

Hi Folks,
    Not sure this is the right area of the forum to post this but here goes.

I picked up about 100 pieces of once shot .223 brass ( saw the guy shooting it in his black ar type rifle & asked if I can have his empties ..factory PMC not primer crimps) Brass looked great no bulges so I cleaned it up and tried about 30 pieces in my bolt gun without doing any resizing. Bolt closes clean & smooth with no hesitation. I did fl resize a few to see if I felt any difference: they resized very easy and I feel no difference in chambering. So I'm thinking of just neck sizing them and shooting them with modest cast boolit loads ( about 1700 fps)

Does anyone see a problem with that train of thought?

Normally I would have to FL resize any found range brass to get it to chamber on the first loading in my bolt action but once I fire it I just neck size from then on. Annealing the neck every 6th firing

Apparently these PMC factory loads must have been very mild not to have expanded the cases much.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

In Remembrance
    If it were me I would make sure ALL the brass was first run through my chamber, not just spot checking a few here and there. It could be the other guys chamber was smaller than average not allowing the brass to expand a whole lot.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Not sure what the reasoning is behind not full-length sizing it? It was shot in a different rifle than yours and a semi-auto to boot . . . .? What are you trying to get outta this?

Boolit Buddy
    It takes no longer to full length resize than to neck size so I would do it for consistencies sake on any brass that didn't come from my rifle.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Expanman View Post
    Not sure what the reasoning is behind not full-length sizing it? It was shot in a different rifle than yours and a semi-auto to boot . . . .? What are you trying to get outta this?
    The reasoning: Why work it more then I have to. If it fits as well as it were FL re-sizes shoot it as it is!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

it would probably be faster to just fl size all the brass, then neck size once they are shot.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecrusher View Post
    It takes no longer to full length resize than to neck size so I would do it for consistencies sake on any brass that didn't come from my rifle.
    I don't need to lube to Neck size........ takes less time.......... especially on a case that fits as well as if it were FL resized
    I'm not going to get accuracy out of these cases until they fit my chamber anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as the brass fits your chamber, I don't see a problem in neck sizing vs. full length sizing.

I would do as Grumpa suggests and make sure all of it fits your rifle; it is only 100 rounds, not like you have to spend all afternoon checking it.

Robert

I would treat it the same as brass with an unknown history - fl size, measure for trim length, trim, etc, etc...
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I don't need to lube to Neck size........ takes less time.......... especially on a case that fits as well as if it were FL resized
    I'm not going to get accuracy out of these cases until they fit my chamber anyway.
    OK! Evidently you have already made-up your mind.

Boolit Master
    Yes....was just was looking for any real red flags

Moderator Emeritus

If you are just loading these for plinking fun, I don't see any 'red flags'.

If I were gonna load them for hunting...even just casual hunting or varmint dispatching, I'd FL size them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I check trim length on any unknown brass. I would be especially diligent if you suspect the brass to be cheap and soft. I probably don't need to say it here, but overlength brass can cause blowed-up guns.

Boolit Master
    I get alot of once fired from a friend who works at a range. 223 varies alot. I get some that goes thru a small base die like its nothing and others that are considerably tighter. Its once fired, I size it all. After I use it in my bolt gun, well now I neck size. I have also had issues with some of the military stuff. Where the neck will come off being sized, if you didnt size it, it would separate during use. I also find alot of military with split necks, sometimes not noticeable until you run it thru a die.

So it came out of someone elses gun, it goes thru the press, just so I know its right. I even do it with my own stuff, I find a bag of brass in a box somewhere, dont know when it was used, if it was used or in which rifle, goes thru the press for peace of mind.

Boolit Master
    Hi Guys.... well........ I'm FL resizing it all this weekend
    Just as easy to start from scratch
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Expanman View Post
    OK! Evidently you have already made-up your mind.
    I agree; seems like you've already decided what you intend to do, so just do it. Let us know how it works out.

NOT tying to be a smarta**, BTW.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Vendor Sponsor

Good to hear you are F/L sizing. Removing the lube is not a big deal with a tumbler.

Also the fact that the brass fit in your chamber when the gun is cold doesn't mean it will when the gun gets hot.

My personal opinion on .223/5.56 reloading is that all of it should be done with reliability in semi auto firearms as the first and most important consideration.

Your neck sized cases would probably just fine for plinking and general farting around however if you got into a pinch and needed that ammo for self defense, and it failed when the gun got hot, you'd immediately see my logic.

Also it is doubtful that you will be able to retrieve all of your fired cases unless you are shooting them in a non automatic gun. But there are plenty more where they came from. I find more once fired good quality brass at my Range than I can shoot myself, and it amazes me that any one would leave this resource behind, but Whatever.

If you look at reloading .223 brass from the self defense viewpoint it becomes easy to see that all of it needs to be done right.

A malfunction at the wrong time could conceivably cost you your life.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Virtually all the cartridges I reload in large-ish numbers are represented by more than one firearm in my ownership, and also by multiple firearms in the ownership of my shooting pals.

This means there's at least SOME chance that my ammunition could end up in any of the various rifles or handguns we own.

Ergo, I load "generic" ammo in my most-used calibers, which positively will fit whatever chamber it encounters. This includes the NATO rifle rounds and common handgun stuff such as 9mm and .45ACP.

EVERY SINGLE CARTRIDGE that 'might' end up in a semi-auto firearm is run through a cartridge gauge as the last step in loading, before being boxed-up for storage.

Randy's note on possible self-defense use is critical in my estimation, too. It may not be INTENDED for such use, but it just might be pushed into such service.... and I want to know that it will respond correctly. The way I do it now, any ammo on my shelves WILL function in any of my irons of that particular caliber.

Hunting-specific loads are a different topic, and I do load designated rounds for each of the hunting rifles.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post

I shoot a lot of 223 in different rifles. Normally 2,000 to 6,000 rounds a year for prairie dogs and a couple more thousand for my match rifles.

I FL everything for the tightest chamber. I set the shoulder back .002” for the tightest chamber. With my match rifles and a Tikka 595 factory barrel I can hold 3/8” to ˝” MOA (5 shot groups) with FL sized mixed headstamp brass.

The only thing that I still neck size and chamber fit brass for is F-class, BPCR, Palma and 1,000 yard. I have found FL verse fitted to make surprisingly little difference. Neck tension and neck annealing seems to give me the most benefits for increased accuracy.

I do neck size my Hornets to increase case life.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-12-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Guys,
    I'm loading strictly for Bolt action; target shooting (I own one gun in .223) I'm punching paper with cast boolits If I go hunting varmints I usually use my proven jacketed varmint loads.
    As ofnow all the PMC found brass has been FL resized , Cleaned, and I will blow it out to my chamber over a few weeks going to the range. Then neck size from there.
    Thanks