MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm done with Hornady dies

Boolit Buddy
    I have both RCBS and a few Redding die sets. Being as I live in Oroville CA were RCBS is located, I tend to buy RCBS. Have a problem, walk in and get it taken care of. But I rarely need to do that. Most any issue is usally user induced.
    But I really like the Redding competition seaters.
    The very young do not always do as they are told.

May Liberty Increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    The OP knows the same thing would have happened, which is why he replaced them with Lee dies and not RCBS.
    Noted.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master
    I've pretty much tried them all. I won't knock anyones product but some sure work better than others. I like Redding for bottle neck cases and Lyman for straight wall cases. What I really like about the Lyman dies is that if you are a cast bullet shooter and shoot bullets with goofy nose shapes you can get seating stems to match- 429303-358009-287377-ect.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the spring loaded depriming die by Dillon. I use Redding dies for rifles.

Vendor Sponsor

most all my wildcats or non traditional calibers are either old pacific or redding.. Std calibers are RCBS
    Cabinet contains 1 hornady and 2 lee die sets (lee's get the lock rings changed) and 3 dillons I have never used..
    If I can get it in RCBS I will .. they have never let me down .. and the occasional broken decapping pin would have been my fault and easily changed a pack of 10 spares is dirt cheap..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Most of my dies (except for some RCBS I've added) were inherited from my dad, all RCBS and Redding. Honestly, I don't like the Reddings that much and plan on replacing them with RCBS or even Lee. RCBS are quite a bit more substantial but I've had good luck with Lee FCD's and the Universal decapper so I'd consider it.

But that's probably personal opinion.. for the price difference I'd always buy the RCBS.

I literally HATE the Redding .223 Remington set, tho...

Boolit Master
    started with lyman now all lee

Boolit Master
    Don't have any Hornady. Hollywood Gun Shop, Pacific and CH, all from the 1940s and '50s. Redding from more recent years.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I had to can a Hornady seating die for .45 Auto. With cast bullets, each and everytime, it would slice off just a little, on one side only, some alloy and leave a small divot. I couldn't adjust it out, picked up a RCBS seater and problem gone

Boolit Grand Master

My only set of Hornady dies is a New Dementia set in 45-70. I wish I'd waited for an RCBS set. Been using One Shot case lube for years, works great for me. I even use One Shot products for gun and case cleaning. Different strokes, I guess.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Loathe and despise their 9mm dies. I've had nothing but troubles from them. Bought a Lee set and haven't been happier.
    I'm the opposite. I've had great luck with the 9mm dies. I sold all my Lee dies. Go figure.

Banned

Had bad luck with hornaday too.

Boolit Master
    I must be living in some kind of alternate universe. The only brand I've ever had a problem with has been Lee, either defective or out of spec right out of the box, or wore out/broke soon after. I got so fed up with everything I had from Lee, I got rid of everything with the Lee name on it, including the manual. Since I replaced everything with Hornady equipment, I couldn't be happier.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DR Owl Creek View Post
    I must be living in some kind of alternate universe. The only brand I've ever had a problem with has been Lee, either defective or out of spec right out of the box, or wore out/broke soon after. I got so fed up with everything I had from Lee, I got rid of everything with the Lee name on it, including the manual. Since I replaced everything with Hornady equipment, I couldn't be happier.

Dave
    You're not alone. Given a choice between Hornady and Lee, I'll take the Hornady's every day, and twice on Sundays. No problems at all with them. The Lee dies that I have are because the stores were out of stock on the Hornady dies (or there were a special type of die like Lee Collet dies for 22 Hornet). Never my first choice.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I used to be a real hardcore Hornady support, but quit using Hornady much after I had some problems with a press and no warranty service was forthcoming. I wrote the owner of the outfit a letter. The letter I got back from him indicated he didn't care about my problems one way or another. I got rid of most of my Hornady stuff, including dies and replaced it with RCBS/Lee/Dillon/Redding/Forster.

My reloading experience has improved since getting rid of the Hornady equipment. My new progressive is more reliable, my die sets work better (especially those Forster seaters) and I'm enjoying reloading more than I ever did.

I have one set of Hornady dies (old style) in 30.06 and I may get rid of them pretty soon, replacing them with a mix of Lee and Forster.

I have an early Hornady 45/70 set, late 80's production. No problems so far. I also have a early 2000's set of 308 dies. They also work fine.

But I doubt I would buy anymore Hornady equipment. Not bad, ok, but nothing particularily special about them.

When I started reloading metallic I was living from paycheck to paycheck so price was the dominant factor in which dies I purchased. Lee were not only cheaper, but they have performed admirably over the years. My first set was for .38/.357 and I haven't looked back since. I know you usually get what you pay for and Lee may be the chevrolet in a cadillac market, but they get me where I want to go.

Boolit Master
    Older Lyman dies from the late 60s and 70s are plated. Those dies came in the chumpy black paper boxes.
    The current orange box dies are not plated.
    The problem with plating is - it is not always uniform. Chrome plating is porous so you can have corrosion grow right through the plating. That is what you see on old cars with chrome bumpers.

You might learn to watch your humidity. Under 50% RH steel does not rust very fast.
    Below 40% RH rust is very slow and if well cared for there is almost no rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I had no idea Lyman dies are chrome plated. I may have to try a set. I don't care for the upkeep of trying to not have all my dies rusting in the Florida humidity. Even in the A/C raw steel will rust before your eyes. I've taken to wiping dies down with Eezox and that's helped.
    Last edited by EDG; 06-15-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    EDG

My Hornaday 308 Winchester inline bullet seater is the only seater a have that fits my fatter .311 oversize cast bullets EXACT without resizing, sticking or shaving bullet during seating. My Redding inline competition seater works only with .3085 diameter bullets and smaller.

I really like Hornadays elliptical neck expander that comes with their sizing dies. Hornaday offers the .307 as standard and optional .310 for larger cast bullets.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274...1-310-diameter

I like all manufacturers. Some tools just work better than others
    Last edited by detox; 06-18-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    First and last set of Hornady dies was a used set in 17 Rem, broke or bend the solid decapping rod, can't remember which. The new decapping rod cost the same as I paid for the entire die set. Do love shooting p-dawgs with their V-Max bullets, cheap, accurate and really ruins a p-dawg's day with any kind of a hit.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.