WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Has anyone had luck tumble coating gas check boolits

Has anyone had luck tumble coating gas check boolits

and how did you go about it?
    1. Size and install gas check then tumble coat and resize

2. tumble coat then install check and size.

I tried it the number 2 way and it worked ok but not great. Before I do any more I thought I would ask and see what other guys are doing. I did a recoat and resize and they looked better. I think number one would be a better choice since the shank wont change size from the pc. I only did 10 to try out and only had 1 that I had trouble getting the gas check on but when sizing these I took a lot of the pc off so I did a second coat and resize.
    So it seems that sizing the boolit first then again after pc'ing keeps the pc intact and has better coverage. That is per Banger Jim and I believe that is the best way to do it especially with gas check boolits or boolits that need sized down several thousands. I cast some Lee 120 gr 9mm boolits that dropped at .3585 and needed sized to .358 so I only sized after pc'ing and it worked good.
    The pc doesn't stick too good on the copper gas check which is fine. I will be trying these out in my 5" S&W 686 .357 with around 14 gr of 2400. The boolit is a Lee 158 swc.
    This pic of the individual boolits is after one coat. You can see where it was pretty thin after sizing. The loaded rounds are after the second coat and resize and had much better coverage. I'll let you know how they shoot later on. If this pc'ing works on these I will be trying some .44's next.
    I just need more time to shoot!!

Life member NRA since 1976

I do and install them first under size slightly and powder brings them back up to size. I found if I waited till after pc it was hard to get checks on. Greg

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It depends on the boolit GC shank size. I got a RCBS 38-162 SWC that is loose for check fit, so I coat it first and then check. My NOEs are exact, so I put the check on, then coat the whole thing.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I'll try on some 30 cal rifle boolits.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I was G/C'n afterwards with the spray method without P/C on the shank, but with the tumble method I was able to get the gas checks on with the 30 cal shank coated. I use aluminum gas checks so getting them to stay on while tumbling was a problem.

Tried with the ASBBs, nope. I do think it is because the GC were installed with Lee sizer.
    Whatever!

Attachment 104116Tried with the ASBBs, nope. I do think it is because the GC were installed with Lee sizer. Tried the #2 jug for tumbling, not sure it worked very well. Did 20 in the #5, good, dumped into the #2 and added some GC'd. good ones got worse, checked didn't coat. Dumped back in #5 and recoated the non GC'd OK. I'll push on some GCs and try again without sizing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, done it both ways. Kinda hard to install checks after, but doable (I did some 240 GR RNFP GC in .44 cal., and some 185 RN in .30 cal.).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

For me, gc before pc is the best. I make my aluminum checks from best thickness of material for gas shank size and crimp them as they pass through the Lee push through sizer. Lithograph printing sheets .011 from the newspaper place work good for most 30 cal.

I dry tumble in a electric vibrator tumbler and have been very pleased with the results. The pc almost welds the pc to the boolit (suppressor safe with no worries of gc coming off)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 24 gr 5744 004.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	104152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 24 gr 5744 006.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	104153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gas check with pc 001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	104154
    The last pic is after trying to pry off check with screwdriver

Boolit Buddy
    I put the check on then coat. I use al checks and they do fine. Mike Hughes those look good man i like the blue.

Boolit Master
    I think of you check first then coat, the checks stay on significantly better.