Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Mike,

That sure beats the HAMMER SMASH.

gunoil,

I do believe I recognize that mold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Hi-tek-supercoat B-B-Q with chistmas colors today. Layer em in colors in a vase, she will let you put em in the house. Stick some plastic flowers in the top of the thing. Hehehe. Glad i didnt have to buy all that. About 1500.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    They are great.
    The only ones you are missing, is the Texas Tea Black, Candy Apple Red, Zombie Green, Brown Copper, Glitter Bronze coloured projectiles.
    That would complete your festive colours.. and please all...lol..lol..

Boolit Master
    Umm... Brown Copper needs to be renamed Copperhead.
    Gunslick. I'm getting a Hardline 45 230gn RN mold.
    But I want the spru plate drilled for the lee handle.

Do the Lee 6 cav handles fit the hardline molds?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Lee handle on mine. One side of the handle needed a few strokes on top with a hand file for everything to hinge smoothly. The other side worked fine as is.

Help needed, LEADING issue.
    Cast using Lee 256-124 6 pack w/tumble grooves, using COWW with a bhn of 11+. Coating with Red Copper 5-1-9 mix (used fingernail polish remover, coming clean up front ). # thin coats, dried 15 min, set on top of the toaster oven in a wire rack basket to warm with the TO got to temp. Baked 10 minutes @ 400 (400 not tested), cooled coated, baked again, sized and coating and baked one more time, good color and good finish. Loaded with a 4.5gn Autocomp, not a puff load, but not full strength.
    So the load is this.
    4.5gn autocomp
    Sellier and bellot primers
    OAL 1.125
    Med taper crimp.
    If I had to guess I would say they feel like 900fps.
    Shot from a Glock 34 with a wolf barrel.
    My problem is after 30 rounds, I stripped it, ran a bore snake a few times, and LEADING. Shot 200 rounds in 60 minutes (Working in Bill drills) and my barrel has leading in the grooves. I found that most of the leading was down from mid barrel to the crown.
    I also had some smoke, not alox type smoke, but way more than copper plated.
    I run this same cast with PC coated with zero leading.
    Any assistance you guys would offer is greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140425_132624.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	103433

Boolit Master
    Most fingernail polish removers contain oil. Did the boolits pass the smash test? The oils would probably mess up the chemistry of the coating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140428_135851-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	103436
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Most fingernail polish removers contain oil. Did the boolits pass the smash test? The oils would probably mess up the chemistry of the coating.
    Attached is a photo of the hammer test. Big framing hammer on concrete
    The one on the left is ragged because it's been in my pocket for 4 days

Actually acetone is sold straight as nail polish remover. Depends on what type you got Bmac. Smash test looks good so I assume it's the 3 coats that does it. Too thick coating that gives out, also the BHN wil be more like 8 until you let them set for a while to age harden. Get a thermometer. Over temp will also cause failure.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Actually acetone is sold straight as nail polish remover. Depends on what type you got Bmac. Smash test looks good so I assume it's the 3 coats that does it. Too thick coating that gives out, also the BHN wil be more like 8 until you let them set for a while to age harden. Get a thermometer. Over temp will also cause failure.
    The nail polish remover has other ingredients (From the Walgreens website (acetone, , Water, , Propylene Carbonate, , Dimethyl Glutarate, , Dimethyl Succinate, , Dimethyl Adipate, , Glycerin, , Gelatin, , Fragrance, , Denatonium Benzoate, , D&C Yellow 11))
    I am going to stop tonight and get a thermometer.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BMac View Post
    The nail polish remover has other ingredients (From the Walgreens website (acetone, , Water, , Propylene Carbonate, , Dimethyl Glutarate, , Dimethyl Succinate, , Dimethyl Adipate, , Glycerin, , Gelatin, , Fragrance, , Denatonium Benzoate, , D&C Yellow 11))
    I am go

ing to stop tonight and get a thermometer.

The red copper should not be that dark, cooked too long at wrong temperature i would think!

Thanks for the advice.
    Good idea to stop and get some pure acetone also! I use acetone from wal mart.
    Last edited by jimbo1950; 04-28-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1950 View Post
    Good idea to stop and get some pure acetone also! I use acetone from wal mart.
    I picked some up at Ace HW today.

Help needed, LEADING issue.
    Cast using Lee 256-124 6 pack w/tumble grooves, using COWW with a bhn of 11+. Coating with Red Copper 5-1-9 mix (used fingernail polish remover, coming clean up front ). # thin coats, dried 15 min, set on top of the toaster oven in a wire rack basket to warm with the TO got to temp. Baked 10 minutes @ 400 (400 not tested), cooled coated, baked again, sized and coating and baked one more time, good color and good finish. Loaded with a 4.5gn Autocomp, not a puff load, but not full strength.
    So the load is this.
    4.5gn autocomp
    Sellier and bellot primers
    OAL 1.125
    Med taper crimp.
    If I had to guess I would say they feel like 900fps.
    Shot from a Glock 34 with a wolf barrel.
    My problem is after 30 rounds, I stripped it, ran a bore snake a few times, and LEADING. Shot 200 rounds in 60 minutes (Working in Bill drills) and my barrel has leading in the grooves. I found that most of the leading was down from mid barrel to the crown.
    I also had some smoke, not alox type smoke, but way more than copper plated.
    I run this same cast with PC coated with zero leading.
    Any assistance you guys would offer is greatly appreciated.
    You're not going to like my answer.

I had these EXACT same problems, and I messed around with it for 2 months. 9mm and 45acp were both leading. As soon as a dumped the "tumble lube" design and bought a traditional "lube groove" - all the problems went away. I'll save you the money, and tell you to skip the "lube groove" and go straight to the "no lube groove" design. Much easier to cast, and they look better too!

Here's my reference awhile back:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...28#post2456728

Quote Originally Posted by Dystaxia View Post
    You're not going to like my answer.

I had these EXACT same problems, and I messed around with it for 2 months. 9mm and 45acp were both leading. As soon as a dumped the "tumble lube" design and bought a traditional "lube groove" - all the problems went away. I'll save you the money, and tell you to skip the "lube groove" and go straight to the "no lube groove" design. Much easier to cast, and they look better too!

Here's my reference awhile back:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...28#post2456728
    D, your right, I am not going to like your answer LOL. I just yesterday put another new lee mold into service, heck it's only 42 bucks, fleabay here I come.
    Tell me, which mold did you purchase?

Boolit Master
    Ditch the nail polish remover and use GOOD QUALITY Acetone or MEK.
    The smash test looks ok, But will fail when put under pressure.
    Try standing a bullet on it's base and smash it nose first. turn it into a coin and look around the circumfrence for flaking.
    Remember.... no shortcuts. Use what is tried and proven.
    TL will work fine. I use that bullet in a G34 with factory barrel with no issues.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Ditch the nail polish remover and use GOOD QUALITY Acetone or MEK.
    The smash test looks ok, But will fail when put under pressure.
    Try standing a bullet on it's base and smash it nose first. turn it into a coin and look around the circumfrence for flaking.
    Remember.... no shortcuts. Use what is tried and proven.
    TL will work fine. I use that bullet in a G34 with factory barrel with no issues.
    Ausglock, what type of molds are you running? Goove, micro groove, no groove?

D, your right, I am not going to like your answer LOL. I just yesterday put another new lee mold into service, heck it's only 42 bucks, fleabay here I come.
    Tell me, which mold did you purchase?
    There are a couple to choose from:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=35-115Z-D.png

https://www.hardlineindustries.com/9mm.html

They don't have them listed, but I think you can get a custom one, price seems decent:
    http://kainemolds.com/ocart/index.ph...ory&path=20_66

Boolit Master
    I use every type of mold. Groove. Grooveless . TL. You name it. All work fine with HI-TEK coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I had a leading issue with a tumble groove PRIOR to my Brevilles. I haven't had a chance to revisit them yet. I feel certain it wouldn't be an issue now. My stores prefer the RN design in the 40 so that's what I cast and load. I am so busy with the proven ones for me. I am not doing as many as Ausglock only about 5k per week currently as I am loading ammo too. If my tractor would ever sell I would cast thousands a day with a caster LOL. My favorite are no lube designs. I have a 41 -200z that I had Tom design for me in brass. My favorite mold as is both of my 41 mags. I really like the way they just fall out.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Casting a new batch tonight
    It's the journey, right?