RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first PC attempt.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you are trying to get HF matte black to work with DT.....it won't! It only works with ESPC, the way all powders are engineered to be applied. We are most fortunate that the red and other misc colors DO stick fairly well with only a cheap scrap Coolwhip bowl and a little swirling elbow grease!

I ESPC many many boolits (in all colors) from 223 all the way thru 45's and they all come out PERFECT every time, as long as you follow the simple rules of air pressure, powder flow, spacing, etc.

But matte black will NOT "shake and bake". Actually......."shaking" had been found NOT to work nearly as well as swirling gently around in the container, as the static generates faster and there are minimum collision divots from the boolits banging together.

Have fun!

banger

Quick question

Will someone explain what HF, DT, and ESPC stand for?
    Shoot for the stars, settle for the moon.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Good Start. It's tough to get really good looking Boolits. The bad looking ones work very well! I would not double coat them, You should load them up and shoot them, then decide if they need more PC'ing.

I am new here (this is actually my first post). I have been doing the shake and bake method for a while now with great results. I actually did about 2k 240 grain .44s yesterday. I will try and post some pics when I get home. They don't look as slick as the ones you all are doing with the PC gun but they keep my barrels shiny and are passable in appearance as long as you don't look to hard. They also take very little time as I don't have to stand them all up on a tray. I just shake em, dump em and bake em.

I have found that if the bullets are slightly warm when you shake them, the powder sticks quite well. I do, however, do at least a double coat. With the black HFPC I even do a triple coat since, for whatever reason, it doesn't stick as well as the yellow. I have not gotten my hands on any red yet though it is on back order.

For my semi-autos, I do a double coat and size after. I ran into cambering reliability issues sizing first. For my revolvers, I size first and then apply the PC. I have found, at least in my revolver chambers, that it doesn't make any difference. If anything, the extra .001-.002 probably help out.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deedurt View Post
    Quick question

Will someone explain what HF, DT, and ESPC stand for?
    If you asked, there are more folks who didn't that want to know as well.... so....
    HF - HarborFreight. Where we get the ES (electrostatic) gun and they also sell red, yellow, white and black powder.
    DT - Dry Tumble.
    ESPC - ElectroStatic PowderCoat. Usually done with the HF powdercoat kit.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub

Those are some good looking bullets... I think you've got the process down now!

I'm sure one of these days I'll get hold of that electrode, but I'm wary of it!

John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch76 View Post
    ....BZZZAAAAP!...
    Just glad you didn't set that good-lookin' beard on fire (nice avatar).

(Nice boolits too.)

Just how many bullets do you get to a lb of powder by spraying? 9mm and 44 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Just how many bullets do you get to a lb of powder by spraying? 9mm and 44 cal.
    I did a hundred 9mm with just a tablespoon. I would imagine a couple of thousand easy.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    I did a hundred 9mm with just a tablespoon. I would imagine a couple of thousand easy.
    That is neat, guess I better sell something on flea-bay so I can get a HF system

I'm closing in on 1000 230gr .452" boolits coated, still have about 1/4th lb powder left. Of course some of the powder was wasted due to the learning process.
    Proud member: NRA, WVCDL
    Montani Semper Liberi