Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45 cal. Paper patch boolit ?

45 cal. Paper patch boolit ?

I've been sizing Lee 405 & 450gr. boolits to paper patch. Sizing down from .458 to .452 .they work ok but am looking for something better. I found that Lyman makes a 450 gr. ML boolit [#451114] that casts .451-.452 in pure lead ,that should work. Has any one tried it PP'ed & how did it work.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Picked up one a while back to paper patch in my relined TC New Englander but haven't fired any yet. Cast a few up to check out the diameter and found it harder a little harder to fill out than RCBS and other Lyman designs tried. It oughta be a humdinger.

Buffalo Arms makes several that should work well, and I have one made by Pedersoli that is designed for the Gibbs rifle. I cut a bunch off the top of it to make it weight about 400 grains, and it works well in several rifles. Those BACO moulds are pretty expensive but well made. The Pedersoli is supposed to cost a lot, but don't pay much for one. They're not terribly well made.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Red river Rick a member here make a very nice adjustable weight PP mold but his are intended to patch to bore diameter as was done by the Sharps company not groove diameter. I have two of Ricks molds one each in 45 and 50 cal. I think the 45 cal drops at .446".
    I shoot these patched up to .451" at long range in a Trap Door with a .462" groove barrel. I get lucky on occasion and ring the 1000 yard gong with them.

Perm-Banned
    what is the twist of your rifle barrel?

It's a Taylor Arms Sharps, should be 1-18" The Lee boolits work but require major sizing , ,458 to .452 then wrapping back to .459. Lyman #451114 should cast.452 It has shallow grooves & is a RNFP that should allow it to be seated long. I was hoping someone had tried it PP'ed in the 45/70 & could share their results, before I ordered the mold.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

The 451114 is the only mold I use in my 45-70s and my 458 Win. any more. Mine drops 431gr with COWWs.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    The 451114 is the only mold I use in my 45-70s and my 458 Win. any more. Mine drops 431gr with COWWs.
    Do you know what the as cast dia. of the nose is?

Perm-Banned
    i shoot two 45/70/s paperpatch. 3 counting 1 1/18 twist .45 muzzleloader. if your fine gun is a 1/18 twist., no less than 400 grain bullet. 550 grain about tops for long range accracy. a 500 grain bullet will do anything you want. a.451diam is just right with number 9 onion skin paper. .452 is fine with a little thinner paper than number 9 onion skin. a .451 bullet is just slightly over size and that is enough for the wrapped bullet to even ingrave through the paper. wipe between rounds if you use real black and i know this will make a few ruffled but if you use black horn 209 instead of real black you will get the same accracy and consistancy with out haveing to wipe between rounds. a shooter from wyoming converted me and my two 45/70s love the stuff. some even use a .440 bullet wrapped with onion skin number 9 and set the bullet furthur out of the case so the bullet goes up into the lands a little. this type bullet will bump up and be very accurate also. in theory thats what i do in my .45 muzzle loader. it shoots a .440 bullet bumped up and is just as accurate as my 2 45/70/s. i can even use more powder in the muzzle loader and make it the same power as a 45/110. or 120. have fun as paperpatch is reliable consistant and accurate.

you might go to Accurate molds and peer at Tom's current molds he offers. I bet you will not get any better prices on a great quality mold anywhere. don't know if it be prudent to do so but I will attempt to provide a link to the online site.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

by the way ... nice picture on your avatar!
    Last edited by bigted; 04-09-2014 at 03:14 PM.