Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 used to harvest world record moose

303 used to harvest world record moose

Thought you 303 fans would enjoy reading this: http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/f...ea=news&ID=186
    Looks like you need a 303 British when you plan your next moose hunt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moose-Antler-Pic-image-2-130.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	99659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moose-Antler-Pic-image-2-130.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	99659

Good ol three oh three.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    shot my first deer with a bubba no.4 I paid $19.95 for. I have a no.1 with a parker hale peep sight on that I paid $60 for. it has taken at least 3 deer I used to lend it to a friend for the season. I thik some others in his family used it too. it always came back with some packs of deer steaks.

Boolit Grand Master

Who says the old Brit can't GET R DONE!
    Charter Member #148

"Naef was hunting for winter meat, not a trophy. He removed the antlers off the skull with a chainsaw, nicking them in the process, and did not keep the cape for a shoulder mount."

Good for him. I like this story much better than the one about the guy who spent $60,000 + to take the world record elk.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy
    Iam with Jerry on this one, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

This story caught my eye because my Dad purchased a 303 back in the 50's. It was the first military round that I squeezed the trigger on. One of my nephews still has it. I don't have one now but I still have the dies to reload with. I will probably get another one if I run across one in good shape. I have many fond memories of shooting ground hogs with it back in the sixties. Would love to take a moose with one.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    "Naef was hunting for winter meat, not a trophy. He removed the antlers off the skull with a chainsaw, nicking them in the process, and did not keep the cape for a shoulder mount."

Good for him. I like this story much better than the one about the guy who spent $60,000 + to take the world record elk.

Jerry
    I agree totally. What I really love is the big guy picking up the antlers. He's in good health, pretty good shape and is a big man. His knees are buckling a bit from the weight of those suckers. You know they got a lot of good meat off that beast. And yes, I am totally jealous. Good score for the ole Brit cartridge.

I'm still of the feeling that the .303 and 30.06 are good for most game, most any where on the planet. Very few animals the two won't handle well.

Just a question. Once said moose is dead and horizontal how on earth do you move it?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post

Jerry
    +1 on that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Just a question. Once said moose is dead and horizontal how on earth do you move it?
    Never having done it, I would have to say "In pieces."

Unless you managed to have your moose drop dead somewhere a tractor with a front end loader could get. It seems like every one of the moose hunting stories I read when I was a kid included field dressing in 2-3' of water.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You sharpen your knife and start cutting. Then it's one pack frame at a time until you're done. Unless you were lucky enough to shoot the moose on the side of the road...

Boolit Master
    Kinda makes those blokes who spend $$$$$ on a magnum something that kills at a mile look a bit silly.Luv the three o'. Pat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    You sharpen your knife and start cutting. Then it's one pack frame at a time until you're done. Unless you were lucky enough to shoot the moose on the side of the road...
    Hhaha or hit one. Yeah it takes a few trips to pack out a moose or bull elk. Have plenty of friends or some horses/mules. I met a guy who packed out a whole giant elk back to camp. No clue how they did it. But one thing they forgot was how were they going to gut it at camp.

Now that is a moose! At 35 yard with a .303 open sights. Hmmm let me see I bet is was a.....Lee Enfield!

When an animal the size of a moose is down he stays down. Nobody moves a moose in one piece unless he is in the water, then you can tow him with a small boat, been there done that. Once the shooting is over the real work can begin. For this fellah to be out moose hunting alone is pretty bold. That is a lot of work for one back and arms.

I'd like to know more about the rifle--a picture .

I would like to hear more of the world record stuff???? It must be a world record moose for something other then an alaskan moose..... Where was it shot????

Far as I know, these are record book moose....

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	99771. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	99772

So it must be a lower 48 moose or something.... Not that it isnt a total hog beautiful moose...

AG

In Remembrance

By using at least 2 good knives, a good whet stone, a camp ax, a small meat saw and at least several strong friends and a guard dog against wolves. Got my first #4 Mk1* from Spiegals mail order in Chicago back before JFK was shot for under $20 thru the mail. It`s still doing what it is supposed to do. VERY NICE moose, wonder what he might have weighed?Robert

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    I would like to hear more of the world record stuff???? It must be a world record moose for something other then an alaskan moose..... Where was it shot????

Far as I know, these are record book moose....

Views:	45 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	99771. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	99772

So it must be a lower 48 moose or something.... Not that it isnt a total hog beautiful moose...

AG
    Kind of what I was thinking. Kinda puny for a northern moose.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!