Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: homemade lighted chrono sky screens

Boolit Bub

homemade lighted chrono sky screens

So at my clubs outdoor ranges, they have these concrete "baffles" in front of the firing line, they are supposed to reduce noise for the neighbors. The problem is, they don't allow enough light in for a chrony to work.
    I was thinking of making my own lighted skyscreens. Get some of those 12V DC LED light strips, hot glue them to thin wood strips, and attach them to rods.

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking painting the wood white will help with reflection.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    So at my clubs outdoor ranges, they have these concrete "baffles" in front of the firing line, they are supposed to reduce noise for the neighbors. The problem is, they don't allow enough light in for a chrony to work.
    I was thinking of making my own lighted skyscreens. Get some of those 12V DC LED light strips, hot glue them to thin wood strips, and attach them to rods.

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking painting the wood white will help with reflection.
    No, I haven't. Are you planning to place the lights above the diffusers? I know that I have to use the diffusers in bright light, and sometimes change my shooting direction in low angle (winter time) light. So I would suggest that the lights shine through the diffusers as a starting point.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I have used this setup at night. Both in the dark and in a building with fluorescent lighting.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    That is a great simple Idea.!

Something I slapped together a few years ago - two lightbulb sockets from the hardware store, the rest was scraps I had laying around -

I found that 100W bulbs were WAY too bright. 40W bulbs worked with sheets of paper (diffusers) layed over the circular cut-outs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have used this setup at night. Both in the dark and in a building with fluorescent lighting.
    Brilliant!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks