Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormy Cromer Anyone?

Boolit Master

Stormy Cromer Anyone?

I have been interested in these hats for quite some time and my favorite local gunshop has them on sale for 20% off. I am just wondering if anyone thinks they are worth 40 dollars? I have a couple of old carhaardt winter hats that have been doing the trick for quite some time, but lately I have noticed that usually money buys quality. If anyone owns or has owned one of these hats, I would love to hear some reviews of good and bad qualities and an overall thumbs up or thumbs down on dropping what amounts to a new boolit mould or a couple of pounds of powder on a darn hat.

Boolit Master
    Five stars, two thumbs up, AAA+++. I have two, one camo an one orange. Best hats I've ever owned, bar none. My camo one is at least ten years old and it's all I ever wear in cold weather. I paid over forty bucks for them so if I were you, I'd jump on one for that price. I've found out over the last thirty years or so that you kind of get what you pay for. I wear Tilly hats, Filson belts, and a lot of other high end apparel. What I've found is that when you buy a product that's been made for many, many, many years that there's a good reason why they're still around. They last and work well.

I have two right now. A red one and a green one. Wear one or the other every day during the winter months. Use them for hunting and ice fishing as well and they work great. I will be owning more of them. Check out their website and learn the story behind them. Great hats for even twice the price. If you want a really warm one, the Mackinaw cap by them is heavier weight. Never been disappointed in either of mine.

Boolit Buddy
    These hats are made in my hometown. The company has been in business for many years. They also employ many of our locals. Like said before check out their website. I have owned their original Chromer and have few of their Stormy Chromers. Get one they are very warm. Check out their website

Boolit Master
    I have 3, 2 original and 1 rancher, you get what you pay for. Great hats.

$25 to $50 in this area. $25 they are worth, $50 they are not. They or variants there of are very common in Western North Dakota and I have two to keep my dome warm, one for work and one for church. They are about 3 years old now. Last ones lasted 10 years.

Boolit Master

What I'd like to know is - Where can I find the ones like you are buying in ND and that I used to buy in Montana for sale that I can order here from VT? To me - stormy's are not as good as what I used to get in Montana
    Being human is not for sissies.

yup, it was on my noggin this morning. Excellent hat.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a go! I checked out the website and I have a feeling it will work well when plowing the driveway with my old 8n Ford. I live on the edge of a big field. If winds are 20mph in the rest of the state of Michigan, they are 30mph across that big field.

Like always, thanks for the info. It is appreciated.

For anyone interested, here is the address for the store that carries them: ebelsgeneralstore.com

They would happily ship. It is the last true hometown "everything" store in my area. I can buy a high end Winchester in the basement and buy high end jerky with it on my hip in the upstairs department store.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Check Amazon.com.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    What I'd like to know is - Where can I find the ones like you are buying in ND and that I used to buy in Montana for sale that I can order here from VT? To me - stormy's are not as good as what I used to get in Montana
    Only place I've seen them in Vermont is Lenny's Shoe and Apparel.

square butte .
    the old ones in montana came out of canada , they were only black wool and had rabbit fur earlaps
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Vendor Sponsor

I just went to the Stormy Kromer website. $39.95 for just about all of them.

One useful thing I learned off the website was how to figure out your hat size. Wrap a tape around your head, round up to the nearest 1/8" , Take that number and divide by Pi (3.1416) which yields your hat size. IE: 22 3/8" /.3.1416 = 7 1/8.

Never knew that, learned something useful today.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have one in camo...imo not worth the 34.95 I paid for it a couple of years ago. It is okay, a step above a ball cap, but nothing special. I prefer a knit "Radar" Jeep cap.

Banned

ive owned quite a few. Great hats. I too live up here in the cold north where there made. Any self respecting michigan outdoorsman should have at least one.

Vendor Sponsor

LLoyd: I had to look up Munising MI since I was born in Detroit. You weren't kidding when you said you're right up in it.

What do people do for a living up there? Seems almost like it would have to be marine oriented in some way.

Hope you're keeping warm. In know living near Gitche Gumee the you get the brunt of any cold weather that comes out of Canada.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

big industrys up here are iron ore mines, paper mills and logging. I made my living as an electrical lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    http://www.stormykromer.com/

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=W.R.Buchanan;2527914]LLoyd: I had to look up Munising MI since I was born in Detroit. You weren't kidding when you said you're right up in it./QUOTE]

Old home week!

I was also born in Detroit (1943). My Dad's folks lived in Battle Creek, and my Mom's lived in Houghton. They met when he attended the university in Houghton (then MCMT).

I spent my early childhood in Houghton, and well remember playing in snowbanks over ten feet high and folks having to walk in the streets rather than on the (buried!) sidewalks.

The UP still contains legions of my cousins etc, most of whom I've never met.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

you need to come up nd vist bruce. Its in your blood. Dont be surprised if you want to stay though