Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good straight razor?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

What is a good straight razor?

I've had it with expensive multiple razor blades. Plus they are hard to use when trimming around a mustache.
    I see all kinds/brands of straight razors out there and I would bet that many are junk.
    I know some of you guys know which brand razors are good and I am looking for recommendations.
    A good strop too, which one?

Thanks, Sam
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Mold
    Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang. You should go to http://straightrazorplace.com for research.

Good Luck
    LNK

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    +1 for Solingen
    Last edited by Beagle333; 12-08-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Multi blade razors are a poor way to go. I used a straight razor for some years, and they are kind of slow to use. A couple years ago, I got a good safety razor

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-D...eywords=razors

And then found this place to buy blades.

http://shop.bestshave.net/orginal-bo...ades-c-13.html

This has been the best solution for a good shave, and much less expensive than the disposable types.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LNK View Post
    Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang.
    LNK
    Definately. I own several and they are all, either of these brands of steel. Both will maintain a damn fine edge with normal stropping.

Sam, if you have any "antique shops" around you; I'd recommend wandering through them. All but 1 of the razors I have were purchases from similar shops & I paid a max. of $35.00 for some very well kept, nice handled razors in their original boxes. A plus is you get to feel them in your hand & check the blade before purchasing.
    I've picked up broken-in strops as well! Good luck.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 12-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Bob

Boolit Master

I got tired of buying those expensive 3 blade razors at around $5.00 per razor and got to looking on Amazon and found the Merkur Model 180 safety razor and have really enjoyed using this for my shaves. I now purchase 10 blade pack of Wilkerson blades for $1.40. I still get a good shave maybe not quite as close as the fancy things today but close enough for this old guy. Never used a straight razor, always thought I might cut myself really bad with one.

wcp

If you need a brush, spend the money on a good one. When I used soap and a brush I started with the cheap one and moved up on a whim. The good bristles were so much easier to raise a lather with. Now I just shave after showering and don't bother with soap.

Boolit Grand Master

Safety razors are the way to go. The blades are cheap enough.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm a wuss, I use an electric.........

Go ahead, call me a heathen

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I'm a wuss, I use an electric.........

Go ahead, call me a heathen
    LOL, a Weed Eater may work better for me. Although I do keep an electric in my desk drawer for those times I just don't feel like shaving before I leave for work. The electric does a decent job but not near as close as a good razor. I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has. I can hear it bogging down when applied to my tough beard.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by LNK View Post
    Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang. You should go to http://straightrazorplace.com for research.

Good Luck
    LNK
    WOW LNK, A lot of info in that link.

Thanks, Sam
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

For a forum on shaving, go here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php?

More about safety razors than straight but straight razors are covered too.

I use a safety razor and have found out the hard way that there is a lot of variation in blade quality. All are cheaper than the little multi-blade variety and give a better shave to boot.
    John
    W.TN

I have to check out these Safety Razors. This may be a better option for me. I still want a straight razor to play with and see how I like.
    Thanks guys for all of the information.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

+1 for the Merkur safety razor - tried all the electric, multi-blade Blah,Blah,Blah... bought a Merkur earlier this year and couldn't be happier
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Dovo that I got new, also have a Wade & Butcher (Sheffield), a Genco made in NY, a Tennis #80, (Solingen). I use a Bismarck strop (German), and a Bass brand brush. All work well. There is a learning curve to using a straight razor, but you will be amazed at the close shave. Of the razors I have, the Wade & Butcher is my favorite.

I don't think I need to use a blade with "Butcher" in it!

I used a straight razor for 30 plus years. They do a good job, but require regular honing and stropping. If you get many nicks in the blade it will have to be reground and there are few places that do that any more.

There are better ways of doing the job.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Love Life
    Safety razor is the way to go!! I have to shave everyday, and a pack of Mach 3 razors is $18.00 of for throw away razors!!!

The safety razor shave fast, close, and cheap. I bought one before a long holiday so I had time to practice and heal up if I ended up cutting my face off.

I have several straight razors that were my father's, a couple still have the "case" they came in, I think. They are stored in my shed somewhere.

My solution to the problem - I have a beard, saves a lot of work .

Boolit Grand Master
    Use straight razor regularly. +1 for shopping the antique shops. That's where I got several of mine. Old time craftsmanship & quality. You have to be ready to use a straight razor. Shaving goes from a quick chore to a slow and relaxing process. If that works for you, you'll probably like it. Search for a razor specific sharpening stone. They are super flat and if not found in a antique shop, a tonsorial supply house can probably head you in the right direction. Any good section of smooth leather will do for as a strop. Strop dressing will treat the leather and add some fine abrasive to hone the blade. I've made "travel" strops by gluing a 6"x1" piece of leather to a flat board and dressing it with Neats foot oil and Flitz. Gives a fine edge to the razor and pocket knife, too. Badger hair brush and you'll be set.