RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFL form 1 Homemade 22 suppressor questions

Banned

I had a chance to get behind some YHM cans today. Now if my state would make them legal I would have a few! The ones I had a chance to see were owned by a class 3 manufacturer. Someday I hope. 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 win sounded like a 22 mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I was under the impression that you needed a tax stamp for the adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I saw that one.
    Too bad though that the oil filter is a part of the suppressor and cannot be legally replaced by the owner. It has to be sent back to Econocan for replacement since they are the manufacturer.

I see lots of "other" products that are marketed as "solvent trap adapters" that are sold as threaded adapters so one can "safely" catch oils and bore solvents in an oil filter threaded to the end of your muzzle. What a joke but way too easy to make. Just need a 3/4"NPT by 1/4"FPT pipe bushing that is bored out and rethreaded to 1/2"-28 threads.

Not worth my LE career, retirment, life, family, and freedom to think bout it.

The ones marketed from Econocan as a suppressor you do. They will sell you a serial numbered adapter and filter in one package. When the filter is burned up and exhausted, you legally have to return it to them and have them replace it. I think they offer that service for another $40 a rotation. unsure if the filetr is serial numbered as well.

The other "fly by nights" and Amazon traders that sell the "solvent trap adapters" do not since they say their purpose is for gun cleaning.

Buyer and installer beware!

Boolit Buddy
    Good information to keep us all on the right side of the law.

I've got a tutorial on a .22 can that I made that is simple and it works well if you want to look at it for some ideas.
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Scroll down till you see it.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks to others here in the Swappin' Section, I have enough to to cover the tax. Will be sending off my Form 1 packet to the ATF this afternoon.
    Now the long wait...

I guess it will be plenty of time now to follow up on more research and figuring how I want to do it. Plus accumulate any special tooling and raw materials.

My form 1 lists 6" and 22LR for specs.

Boolit Master

I'm submitting form 1's for 308 and 45 acp cans I will be building. Using pieces of 1 5/8" chainlink fence post for outer body and steel 1 1/2" freeze plugs for baffles. Will drill holes through body and plug weld the freeze plugs in place. Plan to shoot through each baffle after it is welded into place. This will establish the center hole. Each baffle will also have a small hole drilled off center near the edge, for gas passage. Attachment points will be made from AR flash hiders, welded to an appropriately sized washer. Not too worried about weight, since they are going on rifles.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Be sure to post pics of your build, a video of the "boring shot" might be worth setting up for too.

Boolit Master
    It is about time I join this club. For about a year now I have been bouncing around filling out a form 1, or just purchasing my first one. There is a ton of information I have been pouring through on silencer talk. The freeze plug silencer someone did over there with the cone shaping of the plugs was considered. I have stainless steel welding equipment in tig, and mig, along with argon to make a all stainless model. I cant decide if I want to do that for a 300 blackout can, or do an aluminum mono core I can do with a lathe and drill press for a .22 first. I guess I can draw them up and submit my forms just to get stamps for now, and hold onto them until I am ready to build.

Being vague is always good,as you can't start until you are approved.

This is one I made for a 458 socom that I wanted short so I made the blast chamber telescope back over the barrel.

Makes for a good hog thumper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Plan to shoot through each baffle after it is welded into place. This will establish the center hole.
    I'd like to see video of that too.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Makes for a good hog thumper.

I like that style. How it it working for you? That would be a good way to do a suppressor for the 50 Beowulf I put together. Don't know what I would use it on up here, but fun to sling a 500+ grain boolit quietly. Not many hogs out here yet to justify a silenced big bore.

Btw, very nice welds!

So, I take it that that is a non-serviceable can? looks like it was welded at both ends, and one spot weld in the center? Aluminium K-baffles? What do you use to dip clean?
    Last edited by xacex; 11-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Yeah, it has to be cleaned the same way my "factory" centerfire rifle cans. I have shied away from cast bullets with it, coating them instead. As narrow as the welds are I could always part them off and reweld but never had the need.

Boolit Master

So, the baffles are in front of the blast chamber, correct? is the blast baffle vented, or do gases just expand in the chamber, then flow back through the flash hider and through the baffle stack? I'd love to hear how quiet this design is.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

It goes together like this.

The "flash hider" I machined makes up the first blast chamber by the small hole in the end.

The large volume would have likely done the job but I also added another 4041 sort of baffle after that, then 3 K's to let it out slower.

It makes less noise than any of my AAC centerfire cans but it does have a large volume advantage.

Very nice. I had wondered what is the best way to make a telescoping can and I applaud your rather elegant solution to it.

-Nobade

I think I have my ideas, plans, and materials sorted out for what I want to use (at the moment...anything can change in the months ahead while waiting for my stamp).

Anyways, where the heck can I buy some 7075 aluminum tubing in 1"OD x 0.87"ID ?

hard stuff to find, but a lot of silencer makers use it.

I may just settle for 6061.

Sold by the foot....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=4561

I get a lot of tube and things from these guys, great to deal with.

Oops - you wanted 7075. Well, they do have 2024 that is about as strong.

-Nobade

The link above and wicks aircraft both are great places to buy tubing by the foot. Not just aluminum but chromoly as well.